collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Stone Glacier packs  (Read 10346 times)

Offline vaz,,66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Stone Glacier packs
« on: August 27, 2015, 04:33:08 PM »
Hi Y'll,

Just curious does any one have or use their products, what do you think? Do you like it or not or perhaps  if you whould have a chance you whould buy something else.

Offline Mxracer532

• Longhunter
Re: Stone Glacier packs
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 04:36:02 PM »
I have a sky 5100, love it.
Avid ARCHERY deer and elk hunter.
Coyote killer in the off season.
MX Racer simi retired to practice when I can.

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 04:52:10 PM »
I picked one up a while back when a member posted a pick of his.  Pretty darn nice!  I really like the four pockets inside the center zip!  Only problem I had with it was the waist buckle.  Seems I was always tightening it up.  As with every pack that uses that type of buckle system it drives me crazy!!  But that is a small thing for a pack so well designed.  One of the top three packs I've ever played with.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline vaz,,66

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 05:00:05 PM »
I sold my Kifaru Bikini frame/DT3 pack  couple months ago, then I placed an order for their new frame canceled it today, my new  backpack SG "Sky Archer 6200" on its way, will be at my place on Monday, cant wait.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 05:05:49 PM by vaz,,66 »

Offline haugenna

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 05:10:40 PM »
I have the sky 5100 and really like it.  I would like to see an external water bottle pocket but other than that it is a well designed pack.  Great pack, even better owner of the company.  He stands behind the product and is great to work with.

Offline swift

• NRA Life member
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 06:39:56 PM »
I'm running a Solo 3300 and love it !!! Can't wait to put a load of meat in it September  ;)
This place protected by God and Guns trespass and you might get to meet Both !

Offline autodink13

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
    • zion construction
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 07:31:23 PM »
I have the sky 7400 and love it! I don't think I'll ever use that much space. The pack is so versatile, light, and carries weight really well. The owner Kurt is a great guy and stands behind his packs.

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 08:20:50 PM »
I picked one up a while back when a member posted a pick of his.  Pretty darn nice!  I really like the four pockets inside the center zip!  Only problem I had with it was the waist buckle.  Seems I was always tightening it up.  As with every pack that uses that type of buckle system it drives me crazy!!  But that is a small thing for a pack so well designed.  One of the top three packs I've ever played with.

I have you tried adding the hip belt pulls?  It seemed to solve my problems and allows more leverage for extra cinch

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 08:22:51 PM »
I bought the Sky 6200 a month ago and love it.  I have been hiking with about- 40-55lbs depending on the day.  I love it.  What is really amazing is how much weight i saved in the pack itself as compared to my Eberlestock and others i have tried.  Amazing how much 4-5 lbs in the pack itself makes a difference.

Offline grimace

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 09:47:12 PM »
If I was doing it over I would defiantly buy another pack from them. I am planning on getting my son a pack set up for next year.

I started with the Serac the day they came available, then about a month ago I got the Sky 5100. Both are perfect for my use, very simple but yet quality packs. I've carried 60lbs so far and that went great, I'll be trying 80lbs soon but I have no doubt it will carry well also. I really like the load sling and bivy mode.

Kurt will go out of his way to make things right, I was in between a medium and large belt, the tri-slide on the medium belt was right on my hip bone, and I ran out of adjustment on the large, so he modified a large belt at no cost to me, now it's perfect! Great company.

G.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 09:48:43 PM »

I have you tried adding the hip belt pulls?  It seemed to solve my problems and allows more leverage for extra cinch

I wasn't too concerned about getting the belt tighter.  My hope is to have a belt that doesn't loosen as I hike.  Especially with heavy loads.  The Pulls were nice!  Just not an answer for my quirks.

Offline MountainTracker

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 10:25:20 PM »
If I was doing it over I would defiantly buy another pack from them. I am planning on getting my son a pack set up for next year.

I started with the Serac the day they came available, then about a month ago I got the Sky 5100. Both are perfect for my use, very simple but yet quality packs. I've carried 60lbs so far and that went great, I'll be trying 80lbs soon but I have no doubt it will carry well also. I really like the load sling and bivy mode.

Kurt will go out of his way to make things right, I was in between a medium and large belt, the tri-slide on the medium belt was right on my hip bone, and I ran out of adjustment on the large, so he modified a large belt at no cost to me, now it's perfect! Great company.

G.

What do you think of the serac?  Is it big enough for long day hunts or scouting trips?  I like that it has the spotting scope pocket, but is there enough room for rain gear and other necessities for the day?  I have a 5100 now. Thanks

Offline grimace

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 10:53:57 PM »
I believe the approach has the spotting scope pocket and is slightly larger than the Serac. I think the serac is perfect for a day pack( which is what I plan for), my kill kit, first aid, snacks/lunch, extra gloves and a extra shirt fit fine. I'm sure a packable rain jacket/pants would fit too. If you get down towards the Seattle/Eastside area I'd be happy to meet up so you could check it out.

G.

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 05:52:05 AM »

I wasn't too concerned about getting the belt tighter.  My hope is to have a belt that doesn't loosen as I hike.  Especially with heavy loads.  The Pulls were nice!  Just not an answer for my quirks.

I had the same problem with my Ebelestock and the only solution I found was to run the webbing keepers up against the buckle.  The webbing keeper wouldn't allow the buckle to slide back down the belt strap. Not sure if that is a solution for you, but thought I would throw it out.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 06:29:38 AM »

I had the same problem with my Ebelestock and the only solution I found was to run the webbing keepers up against the buckle.  The webbing keeper wouldn't allow the buckle to slide back down the belt strap. Not sure if that is a solution for you, but thought I would throw it out.

I ran Eberlestock for a good number of years.  Had the same issue as you.  My solution was to sew a small strip of vecro loop into the strap.  It catches in the buckle well enough to hold.  If I had kept the Stone Glacier pack I'd probably have done the same thing. 

But how much does it cost to triple the length of the belt strap and sew one more anchor stitch to the belt?  These packs ain't cheap!!  More expensive than Marmont last I checked.  And Stone Glacier, Kifaru and the Exo Mountain are much better thought out IMO.  They are all great packs!!  Way better than the Marmonts and North Face I have had.  But Marmont, North Face and a few others add, maybe, $2 more in material and labor to make the belt stay put.  Just frustrates me these fantastic, well thought out, extreme quality packs can't at least offer a no slip waist option as an accessory.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull