collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: lets talk excess pressure  (Read 12569 times)

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
lets talk excess pressure
« on: August 28, 2015, 07:39:52 PM »
So this might be long winded so bear with me cause in new to reloading.Both these loads were worked up by the previous owner of the rifles. The 6.5x284 is loaded with 52 grains of H4831 ( 1 grain over max according to Berger manual ). The 7mm Rem mag is loaded with 67.5 grains of IMR7828 ( 2.5 grains over max per Berger manual ). The 7mm has a slightly hard bolt lift while the 6.5 does not. Both have a slight circle in the base of the cartridge case ( 11:00 o'clock on the 7mm and 5:00 on the 6.5 ).  Pretty sure I know I need to back the powder down on the 7mm. Should I just make the jump down to 65 grains or work backwards towards it until the bolt lift eases ?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:50:29 PM by huntandjeep »
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline jeffro

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: lets talk excess pressure
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 07:45:51 PM »
As an avid reloader, please pull any remaining bullets from the previous owner and start fresh, with a low to midrange load and work up, not down from max.
One shot. One kill!

Offline T Pearce

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 07:58:04 PM »
Too hot.
Pavement, crowds and inaccurate rifles...
Thanks anyway.

JUNK SCIENCE, Never touch the stuff...
If you are reading this you can now tell your friends that you know someone that drinks Rainier
Sometimes the main rd.....sometimes the Candy Trail

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 08:17:17 PM »
Yep start low work to max load per the books. Pick the load that gives you the best group.
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline huntandjeep

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 08:30:49 PM »
As an avid reloader, please pull any remaining bullets from the previous owner and start fresh, with a low to midrange load and work up, not down from max.

I agree with you on pulling them apart ( doing it tomorrow) .  On the 7mm I understand  "why" I should start at the minimum load but if the circle is barely there at 2.5 grains over max is there a reason to drop all the way down ?  In my thinking I could drop down to say 62.5 grains and work back up ?

Offline huntandjeep

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 08:34:44 PM »
Yep start low work to max load per the books. Pick the load that gives you the best group.
The 7mm is sub 3/4" and the 6.5 is sub 1/2"  both 5 rounds at 100yrds.

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 09:46:54 PM »
What bullets and weights are the loads using?

If you see ejector marks then you're already pushing the pressures pretty hard.

Andrew

Offline huntandjeep

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 09:53:30 PM »
What bullets and weights are the loads using?

If you see ejector marks then you're already pushing the pressures pretty hard.

Andrew
The 6.5 is using 140 grain Berger's ,Norma brass and CCI 200 primers. The 7mm is using 168 grain Bergers , Winchester brass and CCI 250 primers.

Offline huntandjeep

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 10:21:39 AM »
Ok pulled apart all the 7mm rounds. Going to start over on that one at 62 and work up in 1/2 grain increments . Should I go up until the ejector marks just starts to show up than back down a 1/2 grain ? How many rounds of each powder increment should I load up . In thinking 3 ?
The 6.5 in going to leave alone until after high buck.

Offline wsmnut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 10:45:55 AM »
There's a reason that there is a max load published.  It's to keep your face and your rifle in one piece.  Work up slowly and please don't go past the max load for that powder/projectile combination.  Your fellow shooters and your family will thank you.
Good Luck
Wsmnut

Belief is so often the death of reason.
Moron Lube

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 05:52:45 PM »
Those aren't too over pressure, showing signs of a little primer flattening but not horrible.  I would have no problem shooting those as long as they are accurate.  You need to find accurate, accuracy is what you want, not fast.  Sometimes Accurate is fast, other times not but accuracy always trumps fast.   

It would be interesting to know what he did to the brass prior to loading, New brass? Trim Length?  Full-Length sized?  Was the bolt hard to close when loading?

Max pressure is a guide and nothing more then a guide.  I have many rifles and pistols that I go over max with.  I even use powders that have no published loads.  The rifle will tell you what max is, go by the rifle. 

Also, make sure and use a chrono when working up a load, a chrono helps a ton.   

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 06:04:50 PM »
Those aren't too over pressure, showing signs of a little primer flattening but not horrible.  I would have no problem shooting those as long as they are accurate.  You need to find accurate, accuracy is what you want, not fast.  Sometimes Accurate is fast, other times not but accuracy always trumps fast.   

It would be interesting to know what he did to the brass prior to loading, New brass? Trim Length?  Full-Length sized?  Was the bolt hard to close when loading?

Max pressure is a guide and nothing more then a guide.  I have many rifles and pistols that I go over max with.  I even use powders that have no published loads.  The rifle will tell you what max is, go by the rifle. 

:yeah:
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline huntandjeep

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 06:41:43 PM »

Both rifles are using new brass . The 7mm has been shot 55 times ( 20 buy the previous owner ) the rest by me.  I don't remember the bolt sticking on all of the original 30 rounds he gave me. I do remember about 3 of them causing a sticky bolt. I reloaded the 50 with his recipe and shot it 5 times yesterday and all 5 had a stiff bolt.

He's shot the 6.5 about 35 times. I picked it up 2 weeks ago from him with 25 already loaded rounds. Took it yesterday to sight it in using his rounds.
Both bolts take some force to shut not alot but its noticeable compared to when unloaded.
The COAL of the 7mm is 3.43 and the 6.5 is 3.050 if that helps.
Also the 7mm is built off a Stiller predator action and the 6.5 is a Cooper Excaliber model 52.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 06:52:11 PM by huntandjeep »

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 06:56:03 PM »
Are you re-sizing the new brass?  If you are full-length re-sizing are you turning your die down until the shell plate cam's over on the down stroke?  Basically, are you turning your die down until it just touches the shell plate or until it cams over the shell plate?

Offline 2labs

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 07:14:19 PM »
If your getting sub. 1/2 out of your 6.5 but the bolt is a firm close, I'd bump the shoulder a slight Blonde one. And give it a try those are awesome groups and your primers don't look bad
Dino was robbed
Habitual Rock Poacher
Do these "attack" pants make my ass look big?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal