collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Huckleberry unit info  (Read 3903 times)

Offline white121

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: Renton fish and game club
Huckleberry unit info
« on: August 30, 2015, 10:55:55 AM »
Well the carpenter rd fire has burnt most of the are that I planned on scouting and hunting this year. I am hoping someone on here can give me some info on area to hunt with moose so I can scout it out next weekend.  Any info would be much appreciated as the only area I know in the unit is mostly burnt.  Please help

Shaun White

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Huckleberry unit info
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 11:02:35 AM »
Head south
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline white121

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 11:36:21 AM »
South of springdale?

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 12:07:59 PM »
Pretty good rain over here today.  With any luck the fires should be down a bit by next week .  Fire stayed somewhat near the top of Hunters Springdale road and it's fairly clear from the summit west on Addy Cedonia road.  I'd probably concentrate my scouting more towards the Addy Cedonia road area.  I haven't gone up that way much since the fires started but I'm thinking that lower area between Addy Cedonia road and Hunters Springdale road should be where you might find animals.  Lots of untouched pockets in the area you normally hunt also.
Even with this rain today fire danger is still very high and everyone over here is still a bit traumatized, keeping a close eye on anyone heading up in the hills.  At least the rain today has cleared the smoke a bit, during the week visibility was very low.  Hunters campground is closed and I heard Hawk Creek and Gifford are also, don't know for sure on those two as I haven't personally checked. Not wishing you bad luck, but hope the roads are muddy and sloppy soon.  Better the mud than these days fires.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 01:01:05 PM »
Biggest bull I've ever seen was south of Springdale hunters highway towards the Rez.. Seen a lot of moose in there. I have also seen a lot of moose behind waitts lake up stensguard mt

Offline white121

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 03:30:28 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I'm really trying to stay calm but I guess extra blood flow comes with the tag.

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 05:35:52 PM »
Call Dj Parker at Outwest Outfitters. He has lead some guys to some pigs in that unit and he might give you a couple of places to start looking especially if he doesnt have any clients hunting in the area. I am having the same issues with my Idaho 1-2 moose tag because most of my scouting had been done on grounds that are currently burning or that have been closed due to fire danger. My season opens the 15th, so I'm crossing my fingers that the panhandle gets some rain soon.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline sureshotpaleface

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 07:13:08 PM »
Biggest bull I've ever seen was south of Springdale hunters highway towards the Rez.. Seen a lot of moose in there. I have also seen a lot of moose behind waitts lake up stensguard mt
Same ...same...same

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 08:50:42 PM »
Same ...same...same

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
Unfortunately south of Hunters Springdale hwy is right in the middle of the fire.Area from about Lessig road on up,  south of the hwy is where all the activity has been.  Judging from the deer I'm seeing I'd guess most of the animals have moved either west closer to the lake or have moved north in front of the fireline

Offline bradslam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 01:35:58 PM »
Luther Road / Empey Mtn area is one place I would look.  Once the fire is stopped (if that happens before your season), I would think that anywhere east of the fire boundary would have moose.

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 02:34:42 PM »
Really, if you can hold off scouting for a bit I would.  The eastside of the fire has had a tremendous amount of activity from the fire fighting units.  I haven't had any desire to really go over that way looking around, but that kind of holds for the whole area.  Over 800 men and assorted equipment have been crawling all over that area.  Until they get that thing under control and pull the people and equipment out it's a crap shoot where they may have chased everything. Seems like everywhere I go there's either a fire truck or a load of yellow shirts coming or going. There are going to be a lot of huntable areas left in the unit, but until they pull all those people and pieces of equipment out you might just be wasting your time and gas money.

Offline white121

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 04:16:41 PM »
Thanks for he info guys, if there is to much activity going on in he woods next weekend we are still going to see our family friends in suncrest. But hopefully I will.see some moose.

Shaun

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1