collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone else with an empty freezer?  (Read 11321 times)

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
Re: Anyone else with an empty freezer?
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2015, 08:58:23 AM »
Im down to huckleberries, and some trout I cought on the mighty Columbia, that is another reason im contemplateing on takeing a chance on being surrounded by unexscapeable fire rings, caused by some deralic trying to impress his children by roasting marshmellows or hot digaties. Which by the way , that brings to mind the Cajun twinkees , all u need is a propane burner and some kind of pan , few packs of arbys sauce , and your in fat city no matter where you are !!! Been doing that for years and no forest fires yet ! :bash:
loction location location ! perzackly !

Offline sirmissalot

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • chadpburgess@faceboo​k.com
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2015, 09:14:06 AM »
We are the lowest we've been for as long as I can remember. I still have some deer and a good amount of last years elk (been eating away at the elk form the year before) but steaks have run really low, which I'm glad to see! My girlfriend has a cow elk tag and I don't plan on even bothering with elk this year, between her and my dads elk hunts I don't need the meat. I have a deer hunt in montana and a multiseason deer tag which I'm going to really have a hard time not tagging a two point on since all I basically have is early and late season to hunt this year with other hunts getting in the way.

Offline shadowless_nite

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2015, 08:43:37 PM »
Was going through my freezer and realized I totally spaced half of my deer meet was left, got about 7 summer sausage left and 4 packs of teriyaki sticks. Usually I just save a pack or two to snack on during early elk season while in camp. But both me and my wife totally forgot about it since it's on the bottom shelf of the freezer! And about 10lbs of burger left from my brother inlaws deer!

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2015, 11:47:03 PM »
Anyone who finds themselves with a problem this season of not enough room in their freezer ....  :hello: :hello: ours is empty, I'd gladly take that burden off your hands!

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2015, 04:23:28 AM »
Anyone who finds themselves with a problem this season of not enough room in their freezer ....  :hello: :hello: ours is empty, I'd gladly take that burden off your hands!

How much can you take?!  I've been cranking out the meatballs for neighbors, making jerky until the dehydrator burned up, made some more pheasant dog food...and am still concerned that if we get two elk this year I won't have room in our three freezers for everything.  With only two of us we can't usually get it all eaten in one year.  Main reason I don't kill an elk every year anymore.

Was great for a few years when we had some Russian Mennonites with eight kids living next door.  They were always happy to take what we didn't use by the time next season came around.  But they moved last year.  So we will be looking for a new family to share with.  Maybe with one dog gone and another soon to be we can start having guests again. (stinky old dogs with medical problems really keep the friend visits down) Then you and Smoochy can come down for some BBQ and take some goodies back home with you.  Think we would enjoy that! 

When/If I hammer a big bull in Utah I'll probably take 100# of old round steak to the butcher for Summer sausage.  That usually is welcome goodies by all of our local vendors.  Though that has gotten expensive :o  I will give you and Double J a call when/if we have that done!  Maybe we can make the Angry One happy by having a fluffy elk stroganoff party!  According to her that's my specialty.  Though it could be that she just likes to see me slave in the kitchen for five straight hours. :chuckle:
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2015, 04:34:37 AM »

I should probably purge and thaw my non-frost free freezer in preparation for the Wyoming bloodbath that will soon commence. Though you might have a bit of a drive to take me up on the giveaway.  :chuckle:

Offline Buzz2401

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2015, 06:35:13 AM »
My freezer is never empty.  Between Halibut, shrimp and razor clams in the spring, Salmon, crab and Tuna in the summer and then deer and elk in the Fall it is just one big cycle.  I havent bought meat in over 8 years.  We know what we can eat and if we get behind on consuming something before that season starts then thats whats for breakfast lunch and dinner until its gone. I refuse to kill something else if I still have meat in there from last season.  It really helped once we started making all the different sausages and snacks to make it go faster.  Its hard if all you got is steak roasts and burger.  Also figuire out what you can eat and what you can't, then when the meat is fresh give away what you know you won't be able to eat.  It is poor taste IMO to go to someone and say hey will you take this "year old meat off of me so that I can go kill some more".

Offline jeffitz

• Scout
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2015, 06:47:47 AM »
Steelhead,Salmon,Halibut,Tuna,Elk,Deer.     I love this state even though its jacked up !
If you're gonna be dumb,you gotta be tough.

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2015, 07:22:48 AM »
 :yeah:
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline toyman2

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2015, 09:38:57 AM »
Been empty for 2 years. I've had a bit of a dry spell.
Got a late buck tag and a second deer tag this year. I am hoping to fill a freezer this year.

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2015, 03:34:38 PM »

How much can you take?!  I've been cranking out the meatballs for neighbors, making jerky until the dehydrator burned up, made some more pheasant dog food...and am still concerned that if we get two elk this year I won't have room in our three freezers for everything.  With only two of us we can't usually get it all eaten in one year.  Main reason I don't kill an elk every year anymore.

Was great for a few years when we had some Russian Mennonites with eight kids living next door.  They were always happy to take what we didn't use by the time next season came around.  But they moved last year.  So we will be looking for a new family to share with.  Maybe with one dog gone and another soon to be we can start having guests again. (stinky old dogs with medical problems really keep the friend visits down) Then you and Smoochy can come down for some BBQ and take some goodies back home with you.  Think we would enjoy that! 

When/If I hammer a big bull in Utah I'll probably take 100# of old round steak to the butcher for Summer sausage.  That usually is welcome goodies by all of our local vendors.  Though that has gotten expensive :o  I will give you and Double J a call when/if we have that done!  Maybe we can make the Angry One happy by having a fluffy elk stroganoff party!  According to her that's my specialty.  Though it could be that she just likes to see me slave in the kitchen for five straight hours. :chuckle:

Oh gosh our freezer is so empty lol.. we have random hides and dead heads from trapping  :chuckle:, nothing edible. We would LOVE to make a trip down to see you guys (regardless of a stinky dog haha or promise of goodies.. just would be nice to visit). Something we've wanted to do for a while! :)  -btw what's "fluffy elk" stroganoff??

Offline nastybynature

• Hunter
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2015, 03:48:32 PM »
Since this will be my first year hunting, I am hoping for anything legal as far as deer or elk to put in it. I would even settle with bear or cougar if given the chance.  ;)
"On every question of construction, carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
--Thomas Jefferson to William Johnson, 1823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2015, 09:20:24 PM »

:)

Never had elk before

Offline Big6bull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2015, 09:33:01 PM »
3 lbs of burger left. Focusing mostly on elk this season. Multi seadon elk tag in pocket. All of archery season to hunt. Desicions to shoot cow or hold out for my first bull  :dunno: shot cows but have been working hard for a bull for years. It feels like it's all coming together this year, scouting trail camera pics  etc. I know I'll
Have opertunities at cows. We will see if I can pass on them for chance at a bull... So excited it's ridiculous  :IBCOOL:

Offline USMC86

• Tracker
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2015, 10:20:06 PM »
15lbs of ground antelope left and a little elk blackstrap. Wyoming antelope coming up so meat will be no problem and then my OIL moose tag in November....blackpowder Blacktail in OR in November if there's any vacation left.....might need to buy another freezer. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]