collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: State Land / Public Land Online Interactive Map?  (Read 2220 times)

Offline chrismgon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
State Land / Public Land Online Interactive Map?
« on: September 02, 2015, 09:57:04 PM »
Hey, so I've been trying to wrap my head around just picking out a piece of state land (or at least that is what we call it back East), and head there to scout. Back home I had an online interactive mapping guide that showed you the exact boundaries of state land. Then you would drive over and see state land signs along the borders. Very simple.

Is there a difference between State and Public land out here? I checked out the GOHunt interactive mapper and it will show me Elk areas, Deer areas, which really just outline a huge area including towns. However I could not find a way to layer out state land. Is the "Wildlife Areas" layer supposed to be State or Public land? Or should I just be looking at State Forests here?

Also found some maps you can buy online such as Major Public Lands Map, although the cover says State Trust Lands. Just so confusing to me. Is that really what I should be looking at? I just want to drive somewhere, within 2 hours away and scout. Why is it so difficult! I'm such a tourist! :P

PS: I am looking for areas you can just walk into. I do have a Discover Pass. I do not want to access places you need to pay or check in at stations etc.. Just some good ol large tracts of land where you won't see hikers, bikers, trails or even that much deer. A place you have to make your own trail.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: State Land / Public Land Online Interactive Map?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 10:14:47 PM »
The Go Hunt map will show you all public lands. Just go to the upper right corner where it says "Base Map" and click that, you'll get a drop down menu, switch it over to public / tribal lands. National Forest will be in green, DNR (state) is in a pinkish color, WDFW (also state) is blue.

For paper maps get the DNR Public Land Quadrangle maps and/or the State Forest maps. You can order them online or purchase in Tumwater at the Department of Printing.

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/programs-and-services/buy-maps-aerial-photos-or-survey-data

Offline Jarhead Chase

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NDA
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 10:21:30 PM »
Pm sent.
There is something just indescribably painful about being stuck behind a prius on the interstate.

Offline chrismgon

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 11:02:21 PM »
Thanks for pm Jarhead.

Ok thanks, I found the public land layer, but that does not really show you how to get there very easily because the roads disappear with that layer. So I'm trying to overlap with a google street map. Then it has so many types:
- WDFW Wildlife Area (yes?)
- Federal - forest service wilderness (huh?)
- Federal - forest service (huh?)
- Federal - national park (guessing this is definitely a no to hunt)
- Federal - other (huh?)
- State - DNR (yes?)
- State - other (huh?)
- Municipal (huh?)
- Tribal (guessing also no hunting here)

I mean seriously, are you sure they want us to find hunting lands here? Seems like they don't want me to know where to go!  :dunno:

I'm thinking of checking out the Wildlife Areas to start, they are small but its a start. I found descriptions to the wildlife areas http://wdfw.wa.gov/lands/wildlife_areas/county/King/
And at least it says hunting is an outdoor activity at each spot. Just need to get out there and check it out in person now. Anyone ever tried a wildlife area? Is it just walk in or do you need to check in ? I have a discover pass fyi.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
State Land / Public Land Online Interactive Map?
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 11:43:34 PM »
The roads should show up. Try zooming in a little more.

If that still doesn't work, just get some old fashioned paper maps.

Wildlife Areas can be good, just go hunt. A lot of them have roads you can drive on.

Look them up on the WDFW website. The vehicle access pass they you get free with your hunting license is what you will need. But a Discover pass will work too.

It's not hard to find a place to hunt. If you want lots if room to roam try the Wenatchee National Forest. Or Gifford Pinchot.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]