collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fletching direction question  (Read 8659 times)

Offline Netminder01

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Fletching direction question
« on: September 03, 2015, 08:02:24 AM »
Help settle a debate with a friend:

I've gotten into a debate with a friend who has been told to put the odd colored fletching *down*. I on the other hand have learned the odd color goes *straight up*. Since the debate started a few days ago, we both found supporting articles online that tend to point to the type of rest used to determine orientation of the odd fletching.

I use a fall away and he uses Trophy Taker Smackdown (older model).

What say you?

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
Re: Fletching direction question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 08:06:53 AM »
I would think it doesnt matter as long as your fletching clears the rest?

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 08:14:29 AM »
That's what I initially thought, but when my buddy turned his to orientate like mine (and against the advise given to him by a local bow shop) his arrows when from tight groups to dipping down low 6". The problem seemed to be his fletchings were hitting.

Beyond the obvious issue with hitting the rest, I found other articles that recommended the odd fletching be pointed away from the bow. It just seems inconsistent and looking for any 411 from this forum.

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 08:23:52 AM »
That's what I initially thought, but when my buddy turned his to orientate like mine (and against the advise given to him by a local bow shop) his arrows when from tight groups to dipping down low 6". The problem seemed to be his fletchings were hitting.

Beyond the obvious issue with hitting the rest, I found other articles that recommended the odd fletching be pointed away from the bow. It just seems inconsistent and looking for any 411 from this forum.

When we used flipper, stick-ons, and Huntmaster 2000 type rests the cock vane always went away from the riser.  When we used TM Hunter and 3D Rover type of rests the cock vane always went down.  With most fall away rests, hairy holes and lizard tongues the cock vane goes up.

Sounds like your buddy has bigger issues than vane orientation :yike:
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 08:27:52 AM »

When we used flipper, stick-ons, and Huntmaster 2000 type rests the cock vane always went away from the riser.  When we used TM Hunter and 3D Rover type of rests the cock vane always went down.  With most fall away rests, hairy holes and lizard tongues the cock vane goes up.

Sounds like your buddy has bigger issues than vane orientation :yike:

If you only knew!  :chuckle:

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 08:43:24 AM »
Interesting info. Also didnt know it was called a cock vane. I had always been curious about this too.

Offline snarkybull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 05:25:59 PM »
i have been shooting the old style 4" vanes for the last 8 years on my bow with the cock vane up.  went with blazer vanes this year and the lower inside vane hit the cable until i switched it up and went cock vane down.

every setup is different.
How long til elk season?!??

Offline SuperX

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 09:10:16 AM »
it makes absolutely no difference which direction it is facing as long as it clears the rest, riser and cables.  Some rests like a lizard tongue blade will have it up, others like the two prong will have it go down between the prongs, recurve bows with flipper style rests will have it face out away from the riser, and drop away's usually don't matter unless there is a keeper bar above them that might be hit if the vane is up.  Turn the nock in small increments until you get the best clearance. 

To tell if you are getting clearance, spray a coating of unscented foot powder on the vanes and shaft, covering about the last 6-8" of the arrow and shoot a shot.  You should see any contact as the rest scrapes along the shaft.  You may also see powder on your bow if it is hitting the cables or riser.   Keep turning the nock so the vanes avoid contact... then once you have a solid handle on contact, adjust your sight.  If you've already sighted in, try moving the gang adjust up/down/left right to get the arrows back to the center of the target as the arrow contact is usually uniform on all arrows and so there is no need to re-sight in for all distances for each pin.

Also, number your arrows with a sharpie so you can tell which ones are not following the group consistently hitting in a different spot.  Turn the nock on those until they re-join the group, or if they won't, change nocks and see if that helps.

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 11:20:09 AM »
it makes absolutely no difference which direction it is facing as long as it clears the rest, riser and cables.  Some rests like a lizard tongue blade will have it up, others like the two prong will have it go down between the prongs, recurve bows with flipper style rests will have it face out away from the riser, and drop away's usually don't matter unless there is a keeper bar above them that might be hit if the vane is up.  Turn the nock in small increments until you get the best clearance. 

To tell if you are getting clearance, spray a coating of unscented foot powder on the vanes and shaft, covering about the last 6-8" of the arrow and shoot a shot.  You should see any contact as the rest scrapes along the shaft.  You may also see powder on your bow if it is hitting the cables or riser.   Keep turning the nock so the vanes avoid contact... then once you have a solid handle on contact, adjust your sight.  If you've already sighted in, try moving the gang adjust up/down/left right to get the arrows back to the center of the target as the arrow contact is usually uniform on all arrows and so there is no need to re-sight in for all distances for each pin.

Also, number your arrows with a sharpie so you can tell which ones are not following the group consistently hitting in a different spot.  Turn the nock on those until they re-join the group, or if they won't, change nocks and see if that helps.

Thanks for the detail - sure helps.

I've been numbering the arrows and keeping track of which ones fly the best (taking into account shooter errors); I'll try the powder; thanks!

Offline Jason

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 12:00:55 PM »
Interesting info. Also didnt know it was called a cock vane. I had always been curious about this too.
I've always known about the cock vane on an arrow, but never knew anything about lizard tongues and hairy holes..lol  :chuckle:

Offline Igottanewknee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 04:19:36 PM »
I believe the fetching goes opposite the pointy end..  :chuckle:  Couldn't resist... :dunno:

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 06:19:15 PM »
I believe the fetching goes opposite the pointy end..  :chuckle:  Couldn't resist... :dunno:

Haha so thats why my groups have been off!?

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 10:03:21 AM »

Haha so thats why my groups have been off!?

Another mystery solved!  :IBCOOL:

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 11:08:02 AM »
Fletching up!
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 11:50:35 AM »
I ask my buddy this question once a year, like the idea of marking them with a pen!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU