collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Palouse Archery Help?  (Read 3121 times)

Offline YoungGun9

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Palouse Archery Help?
« on: September 03, 2015, 10:55:52 AM »
Hi, my name is Mark, and I am a student at WSU. This is my first year archery hunting. I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction for some spots to get a chance at a nice mully or whitetail. I have been scouting now for 2 weeks after class and sometimes before class, and have been seeing tons of deer but no bucks, and all on private property. Yesterday I almost had a shot a a nice 5x5 whitetail at 28 yards, but the cover he was in was so thick I couldn't confirm if he had all three points, so I just knelt down at full draw for a minute, as me and him stared at each other. After he spooked, I sprinted up to my next clearing where I ranged two different trails that he might escape on ( one at 96 yards and a closer game trail at 45.) As i saw him leaving I confirmed he was a nice 5x5. But he took the upper trail and went onto bordering property, that I didn't have permission to hunt. It was an exciting experience and now I have the itch to try and get him again today. Does anyone have any pointers on where to search for some buck on the palouse, because i seem to find tons of does with babies and that was the only buck I have seen in countless days of scouting. Yesterday I knocked on a farmers door and talked with him for 20 minutes and he gave me permission to hunt his land (which has deer and good terrain) but borders some terrain which the deer seem to always head towards. If anyone has any property they would be willing to let me hunt, I can have my dad bring up some salmon and elk steaks from the west side when he comes over this weekend to watch my friend at the wsu football game (I could even throw in some WSU tickets.)

Thanks Guys and good luck with your season! Hopefully ill be posting a success story with some pictures if my patients and scouting pays off!  :tup: GO COUGS  :tup:

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
Re: Palouse Archery Help?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 11:07:53 AM »
For whitetails, drive and knock on doors.  By the time I left WSU I had thousands of acres to hunt.  For muleys, head to the breaks.  There is a lot of public land, some feel free to hunt, some hunting by written permission, and some private.  There can be really good spot and stalk hunting in the breaks.  A lot of 3 points but there are some big deer around.

Offline BIGDOG253

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Go COUGS!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 11:17:16 AM »
Go knock on doors and ask around. When I was at school, my buddies and I hunted some feel free to hunt land between pullman and colfax. Got my first whitetail buck with a bow out there. PM if you want more details on where to go.   

Offline YoungGun9

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 11:31:00 AM »
Yah I am about to drive out to get the numbers from two different written permission properties after class. I have have hunted a lot of the breaks with my german shorthairs for chuckar and hun and seen some deer, but most were just wide 2x2 that were bedded under rimrock a few hundred yards away. It seems to me there are just way more deer out in the whitetail country. Another one of the private properties I got access to near colfax for chasing pheasant, the guy likes to save the deer for his family during modern season which I understand. I am just going to keep after it trying to find private ground to hunt, a lot of the farmers out here are really great guys.

Offline lonedave

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 10:28:42 PM »
Check out the areas listed on WDFW website.  There's lots of properties listed for Whitman county, both feel free to hunt and by written permission.  It'll save you some driving looking for them.

Offline YoungGun9

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 09:13:45 AM »
Yah I have called and knocked on a lot of doors. Yesterday I met a Farmer who actually took me around to different private spots and we saw lots of deer and bucks. I had a stalk on a cactus horned small whitetail, where i was within 15 yards from him but could't see him with the crown of the hill. We saw lots of nice mature bucks as well but all on his property or his friends families properties from growing up. Most of the written permission areas I have called seem to have all ready given out there permission slips. But hopefully hunting with this local dude who is super cool will result in a success story.

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 09:37:04 AM »
Go knock on doors and ask around. When I was at school, my buddies and I hunted some feel free to hunt land between pullman and colfax. Got my first whitetail buck with a bow out there. PM if you want more details on where to go.

Still cant believe you got that buck there.

Check out around parvin rd. Lots of feel free to hunt, and the farmers around there were typically really friendly.  We hardly ever saw anybody else during archery, modern and muzzy seasons were a zoo though. Go Cougs!

Offline YoungGun9

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 11:25:51 AM »
Yah I have hit Parvin pretty hard scouting, the problem it they know to stick to the private. The local that took me out hunting yesterday on all his family and friends ground told me that a lot of the farmers in that drainage don't like hunters to much. He has lived in the area his whole life and pretty much knows everyone, so thats how we got to get on some great private land. Haha with it being my first year archery hunting I am hooked. I got 2 good stalks yesterday one on a cactus horned little buck which I had never seen before and another stalk on a small 3x3. One winded my and the other I had his two escape routes ranged at 28 and 68, but he went a completely different route. I very comfortable out to 70 so Its just going to take some time and some more scouting. Now when I got them bedded I walk in wearing just my wool socks to be more sneaky. Its been a blast so far sneaking up on bedded bucks. Now I understand the whole "Buck Fever" Feeling when your drawn back trying to count points! :IBCOOL: 

Offline wsubeagle

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 04:09:30 PM »
This is my first year doing archery as well. I've been out on the parvin area during modern, only saw a small spike and lots of doe.  I can't get out until next week, but I plan to go down along the snake and that area .  I'll let you know if I have any luck.

Offline wsubeagle

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 06:35:16 PM »
How have you done?  I came close to two bucks Monday but couldn't get them close enough.  Going back out Sunday.  I haven't seen anyone else out for archery season. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]