collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tent stove for elk camp  (Read 7286 times)

Offline gun-dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
Tent stove for elk camp
« on: September 06, 2015, 07:15:41 PM »
Posing a question...

I have a Cabelas Alaknak II with a wood stove that I use in it.  I have been looking trying to find information about whether or not it is legal to use the wood stove in the tent when there are these fire restrictions in place.  This coming weekend and through the week I will be staying in the alaknak with some buddies and it would be nice to have that stove.  I will be in the northeast part of the state camping in the Colville national forest.  Do you guys know if it is legal?  I can't find any reason why it isn't, according to to the burn ban regs, "campfires, open flames and charcoal fires are prohibited." 
Thanks all!
“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war, or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
Re: Tent stove for elk camp
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 07:33:47 PM »
My guess is NO.
I am in the same boat for the Naches area.
If you were in Western WA you would be good to go.

Someone from over there needs to chime in. Bearpaw would know. :dunno:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline gun-dog

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 07:36:55 PM »
Over here in the Pend Oreille area we are getting TONS of rain.  I am hopeful that something might change as far as fire danger goes.  It just isnt camping if there is no fire. Also, as well you know, it is nice to dry your gear over the wood stove!
“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war, or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 07:38:51 PM »
Posing a question...

I have a Cabelas Alaknak II with a wood stove that I use in it.  I have been looking trying to find information about whether or not it is legal to use the wood stove in the tent when there are these fire restrictions in place.  This coming weekend and through the week I will be staying in the alaknak with some buddies and it would be nice to have that stove.  I will be in the northeast part of the state camping in the Colville national forest.  Do you guys know if it is legal?  I can't find any reason why it isn't, according to to the burn ban regs, "campfires, open flames and charcoal fires are prohibited." 
Thanks all!

Look on this page for restrictions
http://www.fs.usda.gov/colville

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 07:43:18 PM »
Over here in the Pend Oreille area we are getting TONS of rain.  I am hopeful that something might change as far as fire danger goes.  It just isnt camping if there is no fire. Also, as well you know, it is nice to dry your gear over the wood stove!

:yeah:

I am sitting here staring at a brand new wall tent and three dog stove that has not seen a hunting camp yet. I am hoping 3 weeks from now the Naches area has had enough rain to let me use the stove. Fingers crossed.

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline gun-dog

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 07:54:01 PM »

I am sitting here staring at a brand new wall tent and three dog stove that has not seen a hunting camp yet. I am hoping 3 weeks from now the Naches area has had enough rain to let me use the stove. Fingers crossed.

What kind of tent are you going to be staying in?  I almost bought that three dog stove! I ended up getting a Colorado cylinder stove when Cabelas had it 50% off.  I love the stove so far but I have only used it 3 times. 

Offline gun-dog

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 10:40:32 PM »
Posing a question...

Thanks all!

Look on this page for restrictions
http://www.fs.usda.gov/colville

Thanks for posting that link. But, I had already looked at the Colville website and it does not mention anything about cylinder stoves in a wall tent (go figure).  Since I can't find anything that says it is illegal I will most likely bring the stove and see what happens.  I was just hoping someone on here might have more insight into this than I do.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 10:17:54 PM »

What kind of tent are you going to be staying in?  I almost bought that three dog stove! I ended up getting a Colorado cylinder stove when Cabelas had it 50% off.  I love the stove so far but I have only used it 3 times.

I got a killer deal on a 9X12 canvas tent made by Reliable Tent and Tipi of Montana. $750,00 0ut the door including frame and floor. Local store sold me their floor model at cost.

http://www.reliabletent.com/

I have the Big Horn

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 09:51:19 PM »
I remember years ago we had fire restrictions and DNR told us if we had a spark arrested on top of chimney we were good. I would try and give DNR a call to see if ok

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 10:02:25 PM »
I remember years ago we had fire restrictions and DNR told us if we had a spark arrested on top of chimney we were good. I would try and give DNR a call to see if ok

DNR cant help . OP says he will be on National forest.
Needs to Ranger Station.

Offline gun-dog

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 10:28:17 PM »
I'm back from camp now. Ran the stove all week, spoke to the ranger who came to my camp and he did not have any problem with it.  I have a spark arrestor and had the chimney facing away from any tree that could have posed a problem.  Thanks everyone, I have not checked the colville national forest website today but I think with all the rain we have been getting this burn ban will be a thing of the past.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 10:50:59 PM »
 :tup:

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 03:26:30 PM »
Good to hear!  :tup: any luck?

Offline gun-dog

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 04:49:35 PM »
Good to hear!  :tup: any luck?

Didn't get an elk.  I did get a bear while I was up there.  Finishing my work week out tonight then I will be back up in the woods for the last couple days of elk season.

Offline sagerat1

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA,VFW
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 06:26:46 AM »
Unless it is a certified stove I would not think it is legal. Still restrictions up here. It wouldn't be cool to burn more of our forest.
Those stoves put out a lot of sparks and a little rain doesn't help that much. We have a propane Mr. Heater.. Works...

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 04:51:03 PM »
Unless it is a certified stove I would not think it is legal. Still restrictions up here. It wouldn't be cool to burn more of our forest.
Those stoves put out a lot of sparks and a little rain doesn't help that much. We have a propane Mr. Heater.. Works...

I have never seen a tent stove that is certified.  The certification for home wood stoves is based upon EPA requirements to emit less than 4.5 grams of smoke per hour.  That doesn't have anything to do with their ability to catch stuff on fire.  As discussed above, there are numerous spark arresting devices that address the issue.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 05:17:51 PM »
You can also reduce sparks by not burning paper or cedar kinlin.
Reducing the chance of sparks for canvas tent stoves is good practice regardless of fire danger.
Less chance burning a hole in your tent.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal