collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Muzzle loader question  (Read 2411 times)

Offline buckhorn2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Muzzle loader question
« on: September 14, 2015, 12:03:59 PM »
My wife has a disability permit and likes to ride around in the woods and has a muzzle loader tag my question is is it legal to have two muzzle loaders in the truck in case I have to go after something for her. The extra gun would;nt be loaded just an in case gun.The reason I ask was I was with a friend who saw some elk took his two rifles one for long range and an open sight in case he had to go into the brush walked back down to the car and the game warden said one gun because you can only have so any shells no ticket he just said only 1 gun loaded so wondered about muzzle loaders with two loaded.

Offline Hunterman

• Y.A.R. PRO FISHING TEAM MEMBER #1 MASTER BAITER
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Muzzle loader question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 12:22:08 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with y'all carrying 2 rifles. As long as you have a muzzy elk tag too they can't say anything, unless it's a handy cap hunting season.
There are two scenarios' that come to mind if that's the case.
1. If you have a companion permit, that allows you to shoot.
2. If you have a multi-season permit.   

Outside of that, if you both are hunting with a muzzle loader go for it.

Now another thing, If you are on the boundary of a weapons restriction area, and your hunting both units, I would have in the rig, both a muzzle loader, and a rifle.

Hunterman(Tony)
SOMR PEOPLE HAVE TO WAIT THEIR WHOLE LIFE TO MEET THEIR HUNTING BUDDY. I RAISED MINE.

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 12:56:45 PM »
You can be ticketed for anything, depending on how the warden views it.  It doesn't mean it'll hold up in court.  I would say to decrease the chance of getting in trouble, act honestly and within the law and you'll be fine.

You can have 12 guns in your car during a bow season with an rifle permit and not be breaking laws, but you'd better have some kind of honest story as to why to avoid getting a ticket in the first place. 

If you're running around the woods with a muzzleloader in camouflage during the muzzleloader season without a muzzy tag, I'd say you're asking for a ticket.  If you have a companion disability permit, that would be just fine.  I don't see any issue with that.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 01:14:41 PM »
"is is it legal to have two muzzle loaders in the truck in case I have to go after something for her."

That's two questions.

It is legal to have two muzzleloaders in a vehicle. It is legal to hunt with multiple firearms. There is no restriction on firearm numbers or ammunition capacities for big game hunting in Washington.

However, if you are carrying the muzzleloader and you don't have a valid license or are not a designated hunter companion, then you could be cited for illegally hunting depending on the officer and the exigent circumstances.

If she is legally disabled, she should designate you as a hunting companion. That would allow you to not only carry a firearm, but shoot.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/232-12-828_new_revised_-_disability_hunting_2014.pdf
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline buckhorn2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 04:12:56 PM »
Thanks that is what I wondered she has a disability permit and a muzzle loader tag for elk I have a rifle elk tag. I wondered if she gave me the companion card if it was legal to have 2 guns but when we got stopped the warden said as many guns as you want but only one loaded because you can only have so many shells guess he was wrong. The other reason is I wanted a reason to buy another gun hope she goes for it.

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 05:29:15 PM »
Thanks that is what I wondered she has a disability permit and a muzzle loader tag for elk I have a rifle elk tag. I wondered if she gave me the companion card if it was legal to have 2 guns but when we got stopped the warden said as many guns as you want but only one loaded because you can only have so many shells guess he was wrong. The other reason is I wanted a reason to buy another gun hope she goes for it.

I know with disabled hunters you can have one loaded in the car (at least I think so).  You should not have two loaded in the car.  Remember for a muzzy to be considered loaded it must be primed... so you could have a charge in.  As far as carrying 2 in the field... I don't think that'd be a huge problem if she were with you.  Might be a slight gray area.  Just make sure to keep that companion card on you.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]