collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Nontypical buck down W/Story  (Read 17157 times)

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
Nontypical buck down W/Story
« on: September 14, 2015, 07:12:53 PM »
Just got the call from my brother he Self filmed the shot and killed a nontypical he's been chasing all season. I'm going to help retrieve him now. He had been holding out for this buck all season and he finally showed up.

STORY BELOW
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:14:51 PM by CoryTDF »
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Nontypical buck down
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 07:15:30 PM »
Well I sure hope you can post a picture after making a post like this !!!!!!!!!

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 07:17:19 PM »
BH45- We all know this is Cory's thing. He lives off creating suspense  :'( Stuck at work I want to go help
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 07:17:53 PM »
You only have 1 hour to post a picture or Woodchuck is banning you.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 07:20:31 PM »
 :bash: PHONE....ANSWER IT!
Shane Falco

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 07:21:37 PM »
Ya ...that BS ...STARTING UP CRAP LIKE THIS ....HAHAHA

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 07:51:59 PM »
Ohhhhh let me see, let me see! :drool:
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline JODakota

• BIGtuna
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 07:53:01 PM »
:bash: PHONE....ANSWER IT!

We are talking about Cory here bro...
Not for self, but for country

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 08:07:44 PM »
Just talked to Cory..... 8)
Shane Falco

Online Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 08:09:04 PM »
Aaaannnnndddddddd! :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 08:31:32 PM »
and what?
Shane Falco

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 08:36:37 PM »
can you rotate the picture please :chuckle: :tup:
Shane Falco

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 08:37:10 PM »
Wouldnt call a buck with a couple stickers a non typical buck.  Nice buck though

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 08:38:03 PM »
For the last 4 years Riley has been letting is girlfriend Jade shoot. He has not been able to fill his own tag with a buck. Well, this was going to be his year. This buck was on the top of his “Hit List”. He named him "Dino" and we have been waiting for him. The first night of the season was again for Jade. There had long been in place a plan to propose to her upon the successful harvest of mature buck. The ring was purchased and the speech rehearsed. Shooting this monster buck was important but not nearly as important as tagging the “dear” of his life. He needed a good buck to come out and it didn’t matter which one it was. If it was Dino, so be it. The rest of his life was hanging on the life of any good buck.
The sound of an arrow leaving a bow broke the silence. The subsequent “Thwack” followed by hoof beats on river rocks all reached his eardrum and were processed in an instant. Dino had stayed in but a great 4x4 had walked right into range. The nervousness that comes before the shot was amplified tenfold as he watched the buck go down. This was it. He was about to ask the most important question of his life. His trembling hands moved away from the camera and he embraced Jade. How was he even going to be able to climb out of the tree? As his feet hit the earth below, his mouth was dry and swallow as he might the softball in his throat would not go down. Each step brought them closer to the buck, but each step was also bringing them closer to each other.
The camera was set and Jade was sent out ahead to do a “Walk Up”. She walked away slightly annoyed as she feels so silly on camera. The ring! Riley pulled the ring out of his pocket and as he as planned it years before placed it on the brow tine of the fallen buck. Ok! He said and Jade took the first step towards her new life. She walked unknowingly toward the buck her excitement already high, her spirit already lifted. She had killed the best buck of her life with the man she loved. How could this get any better? She stopped in front of the buck pretending to be excited as if this was the first time she had seen it. Something was different, something was there that was not before. The rack of a buck is impressive to be sure and she is a girl who could appreciate it. She is also a girl who can appreciate a diamond. There it hung. Out of camera view Riley sat on bended knee looking at the three most beautiful sights in the world. The woman he loves, a beautiful buck, and a diamond ring. Will you marry me he asked? At the same time Jade began to cry. Yes! Yes!
Miles away I sat in a tree stand with my wife. We too were hoping for a buck. A text on my phone that read “BBD” came buzzing in. It was from my brother. I was so excited that I nearly shouted! I looked at my wife Heather who was in another tree about eight feet away and said “Jade BBD”. Heather smiled as we both knew the plan. It was a few short moments later that I got another text “I’m getting married”. I was so happy for my brother and my soon to be new sister. The excitement was interrupted by a sound beneath me and I turned to watch a buck walk under my stand. He moved out to about ten yards and stopped. Heather knew what to do. Her arrow was stuck in the dirt, a green lighted knock shining bright as blood dripped off the fletching. The buck hit his final resting place only thirty yards away. Now, I got to celebrate.
As a rule we rarely gut our deer near the stand. Fortunately for us most of our whitetail hunting is done in areas that we can use a deer cart to get the animals back to the truck. On our way to the gutting spot I received another text from a friend that said his girlfriend Kaila had also shot a buck. The ladies had a great opening day. It was one for the books to be sure.
Fast-forward 4 days and we would again be at the “gutting spot” with a great buck that our friend Justin shot. We had named the buck “Wow Tines” as he had very long G-1’s. It was up to Riley and I now. We had yet to tag our bucks and the season was not getting any younger. I decided to sit in the stand with Riley and film for him with the hope of him shooting Dino. Our luck was about as bad as it could be as our hunt was interrupted by some “hikers” who had no idea they were ruining our hunt. A few days past and on the night of the 7th I decided to change it up a bit and while Riley and Jade sat in their stand I went and sat in Justin’s vacant stand. My choice was rewarded with a great buck we had named “Hans Solo” as he only has one brow tine. After making the choice to leave him for the night I would recover him the next morning. Riley was up to bat. It was his turn.
Jade had a graduation she had to attend and rightly so, she was graduating from Veterinary Technician School. This pulled Riley out of the woods for 4 days. The things we do for love right? They drove home on Sunday from the Seattle area and Riley had little else on his mind than hunting his stand the next day. Monday morning came and minutes melted like ice in a freezer. My office phone rang and It was Riley asking if I could come film. Unfortunately, I could not go as I had to butcher my deer. He was going to have to go it alone. It was solo hunt time and though I was sad I could not be there I had a good feeling. I told Riley as much and wished him luck.
Riley sat in his stand the cool wind biting him through his light weight camo. The sound of leaves rustling as the deer were waking from their daytime slumber. The sun was slowly sinking and while darkness can be synonymous with death it also brings new life. The woods began to come alive. The bedding area is the heart and the game trails the veins. The deer are the blood of this forest as they are being pumped into the fields. This was the prime time. The witching hour. It’s go time. Whatever you want to call it the fact remains that it was time to be vigilant.
The sound came oddly from behind him. He had heard it before and knew that it was the sound of some small tree being murdered by the unforgiving tines of a buck. The thrashing and breaking were the death moans of the tree. Riley turned his head to see the crime scene. There was a buck, a great buck with a monstrous body and huge frame. Riley decided if this was not Dino it was going to meet an arrow either way. The buck pulled his head out of the brush and began to walk away. That softball that Riley had tried to swallow 13 days before was back. His heart was nearly about to explode. It was Dino and he was walking away. There was no shot to be taken.
Dino walked around a patch of trees and moved out of sight. On the plus side of things he had gone back into the woods and Riley knew that he would have to come back through to enter the field. He would be ready. He had waited for this moment for months. Today counted only the 6th time that Dino had ever been out in daylight in over three months. Movement to the left front! First a shaking limb then a nose. Soon a massive rack appeared and Dino was on his way. Riley got the camera ready and hit record. Dino came into the frame and began to eat. 23.6 yards was the readout on the rangefinder. Riley shifted his hips and just then a doe spotted him. She blew out and ran. Dino came to attention but held fast. Riley set his anchor points as he had done a thousand times before. The small green dot danced wildly with each heartbeat. A deep breath, a shot, a celebration!
I sat in my kitchen working on the back straps from my buck and my phone rang. It was in my pocket and my hands were not clean but this time of year I always answer my phone. I pulled it out and saw it was Riley. I looked at the time, it was 1830 I smiled and said hello. “I got him bro, I got Dino, double lung!” the rest of what he said was lost as I was already too excited to listen to anymore. I told him I was on my way. Cameras in hand I walked up to the tree just as he was climbing out. His smile was something I’ll not soon forget. I imagine it was the same smile Jade had seen two weeks before. He was truly happy and nothing could contaminate the happiness of that moment.
“Watch the footage bro and shoot me strait. If you think we need to leave him for the night we will.” After a quick review I could clearly see that he had made a fantastic shot. It had been more than an hour and a half since the shot was made. I said let’s get on the blood and if he crossed the creek and it does not look good we will pull out. The blood was plentiful and bright pink with hundreds of little bubbles in it. No point leaving him for the night. He was dead I was sure of that. We crossed the creek and as if we were following a string we walked right to him. Dino was down. It was finished.
My brother had sat in the stand for 9 total nights. Each night for 4 to 5 hours. He logged more than 40 hours in the stand. He kept his site up for more than 3 months and studied every trail cam picture he had. Date, time, temp they all came into play. He knew this deer. He earned this deer. As an older brother you always want the best for siblings. We might fight like cats and dogs but I’ve been looking out for him since the day he was born. It’s one thing to love your brother, I mean he’s family, love goes without saying. It is another thing to be proud of him and respect him. I got to watch my brother show dedication as he proposed to the girl he loves, I saw him show restraint when lesser bucks were readily available, I saw him show perseverance, I saw him show humility, I saw him grow. While he will look back on this as a time that he popped the question and shot the best buck of his life. I will look back on this as the season I watched my little brother become a man. It was not the kill that brought me to this revelation, it was everything in-between. That’s just it isn’t it? So much of life can be defined by the in-betweens you just have to remember to look.                     
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:13:30 PM by CoryTDF »
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 08:38:09 PM »
I would call that non-typical and its a TOAD, Nice Job Riley!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shane Falco

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal