collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Question for you Blacktail studs!  (Read 9195 times)

Offline 3nails

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
Re: Question for you Blacktail studs!
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 09:43:20 PM »
 A lot of times you can tell the difference between a buck and doe blowing. A big buck will sound noticeably deeper.
Amadeo
https://www.youtube.com/@3nails337

Instagram    3nails_hinkle

Offline Westside88

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2015, 07:49:03 AM »
You can use that to your advantage. A few years ago I had a doe that would do that every time I entered a timbered draw. It helped me figure out that the wind wasn't doing what I thought it was. The next time I went in I crosse over the top and looped around from the bottom and got the jump on them. Scored a buck and they never knew I was there, they were watching their back trail up the hill where I started

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2015, 09:01:49 PM »
I can't remember if it is Scott Haugen or Boyd Iverson that says that while does will blow when they are alarmed, bucks won't hang around long enough to blow.  They just get out of dodge.  I've always assumed that was the whole story when I was hunting.  Just for fun, I've tried blowing back at deer when I'm busted.  Not one has come in to see what just happened.

My favorite is the stomping foot, when they're not sure what you are.  A blow means give up - stop wasting your time.  Do bucks stomp a foot or just split?
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline 3nails

• Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2015, 09:33:48 PM »
 I have had a ton of bucks blow at me. I've also had them stomping the ground. Actually a lot of both.  :chuckle:
Amadeo

Offline Firedogg

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 10:43:05 AM »
 Blue mountain whitetail bucks blow and stomp. Had them stand there doing it for 15 minutes or more sitting still when another hunter got busted. Pushed that blowing buck right to me.
  Now when I've been busted by them it gets really painful to sit so still that long when they are trying to figure out if they are going to go left, right, or tails up straight away.
There is no greater respect to have for wildlife than to harvest an animal fairly and use it's flesh to feed your family.  ~me

Offline moocher97

• Scout
  • Keep hammering
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 11:13:41 AM »
Oh sorry I used the wrong term. I guess they are different . I always have said that because it sounds wheezy. 

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thin red line

NOT SELECTED, NOT SELECTED, NOT SELECTED, NOT SELECTED, NOT SELECTED NOT SELECTED

Offline huntingbaldguy

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 12:26:58 AM »
Wife and i got blown at a few times in early season.  Mostly by does but a spike did it once also.  What follows is all the deer running off typically.  I know it wasn't us most of the time, but something alerted them and they bounced, only to come back up to an hr later.

Offline bigbore40

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Hunter
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 05:03:47 AM »
My experience is your mature blacktail bucks will stomp and blow when startled (rare occasion when that happens) but mainly when a buck can see you but not 100% sure and unable to wind you.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 05:51:39 AM »
I am not a blacktail expert but did spend the night at a Ramada Inn once.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 06:45:04 AM »
I only knew for certain that does did it. Figured bucks probably did too but never actually seen a buck doing it. Often I hear blacktails "blowing" (that's what I call it) but don't see them. It seems to be usually when they smell me.
:yeah: bucks do not not to my knowledge, they will grunt in the rut but that is rare as well, a doe will blow and stomp her feet, a blacktail buck will just sneak out of the area, i aint saying i am a blacktailexpert, but my family has been hunting them and only them forever, nit one has ver had a buck blow, wheeze, spit or whatever at them, as for doe, quite often, normally it happens when they know something is there but cant get the scent, if they know its human they usually just head for parts unknown. also a big mature buck will lay down and let you actually walk right over them without busting cover, doe have no problem exploding out from under foot
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Greg Mullins

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2015, 10:16:55 PM »
Yep and when you here it your dome. I also have herd them make clicking noise from 20 feet in my stand. Deer make all kinds of weird noises and its funny as hell to here one burp.

Offline 3nails

• Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2015, 10:34:15 PM »
Yep and when you here it your dome. I also have herd them make clicking noise from 20 feet in my stand. Deer make all kinds of weird noises and its funny as hell to here one burp.
A few minutes before I rattle I'll go through a grunt and bleat sequence. In that time I'll click a couple of times right before a "roar". (aggressive grunt) I do this by actually doing a sharp "tick" with my tongue. This makes a very short and loud click. For whitetails however.
Amadeo

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2015, 10:52:04 PM »
A few minutes before I rattle I'll go through a grunt and bleat sequence. In that time I'll click a couple of times right before a "roar". (aggressive grunt) I do this by actually doing a sharp "tick" with my tongue. This makes a very short and loud click. For whitetails however.
You really need to do some YouTube videos for us amateurs.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2015, 05:22:48 AM »
I only knew for certain that does did it. Figured bucks probably did too but never actually seen a buck doing it. Often I hear blacktails "blowing" (that's what I call it) but don't see them. It seems to be usually when they smell me.
:yeah: bucks do not not to my knowledge, they will grunt in the rut but that is rare as well, a doe will blow and stomp her feet, a blacktail buck will just sneak out of the area, i aint saying i am a blacktailexpert, but my family has been hunting them and only them forever, nit one has ver had a buck blow, wheeze, spit or whatever at them, as for doe, quite often, normally it happens when they know something is there but cant get the scent, if they know its human they usually just head for parts unknown. also a big mature buck will lay down and let you actually walk right over them without busting cover, doe have no problem exploding out from under foot

My buddy had a big buck crawl past his stand on its belly.  The buck was behind ferns and he was archery hinting and just caught a glimpse of something moving.  Hey keyed on the movement and realized it was a deer and as he continued to watch realized it was a big buck.   

They are crafty as heck.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand