collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lyman, Knight, or Cabela's ? hmmmm...  (Read 4118 times)

Offline Pete112288

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Lyman, Knight, or Cabela's ? hmmmm...
« on: September 27, 2015, 01:48:40 PM »
So I have finally reached a decision about what I am going to do. Some may have read a different thread I posted about my muzzy and the troubles I have had with it. So my goal between now and next spring is to replace it. I am pretty torn however.
My decision as boiled down to one of two side lock or an inline. Lyman Deerstalker, Cabela's Sporterized Hawken, or Knight Bighorn.
I love the look and feel of the side locks (esp the Lyman) and another thing for them is that I would like to get a .54. The main use is for elk. I really like the fiber optics that come on the Lyman now. even though the rear I would replace with a peep. The Bighorn I would want with thumbhole stock. I like shooting conicals. Right now I shoot the Hornady Great Plains Bullets and don't have anything to complain about, broke through both shoulders of the cow I shot last year. The thing that keeps me thinking about an inline is having a removable breech plug for cleaning purposes. I am just hoping to hear about some first hand experience with these guns. I know A LOT of guys with Bighorns and their experiences are another thing that keeps the Bighorn on my list.
Has anyone had any specific issues with any of these?
Things I want
RELIABLE (assuming I do my part with cleaning and maintenance)
Fiber optic front sight.
Rear peep sight that does not require hunting to find where I can buy one or drilling and tapping.
Like I said, I would like to get a .54
Good accuracy (again assuming I do my part) out to 100 yards. I am not really worried past that too much.
Sound construction. the issues I have with mine is that nothing big goes wrong, its always simple little things that could have been prevented with better construction of the rifle.

Honestly the one I am leaning strongest to is the Lyman. But we will see when it comes time to make the purchase if that stays true.

Offline PyroBlack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
Re: Lyman, Knight, or Cabela's ? hmmmm...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
Since you desire a 54, then the Lyman is a easy call. Should you change your mind and want the 50-cal, the Knight Bighorn is my choice. Nowadays, I prefer inlines over sidelocks.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 03:04:20 PM »
I've got a Lyman Deerstalker in .54 and stainless that I'd sell for $225 if you decide to go with the Lyman. I've got a Lyman peep sight on it and the original front sight. I just bought a 50 caliber inline so won't be using the Lyman anymore.

Offline Pete112288

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 03:14:44 PM »
How does it shoot? Do you have a photo? Wouldn't take a straight trade for a Stevens 200 in .223, AIM 3-9 scope, with 30 or 40 rounds for it would ya? Haha.

Offline cooltimber

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 03:33:26 PM »
I have a lyman .54 with a  peep sight on it with a laser front sight,shoot's 2 " group's at 100 yrds.That's if I do my part.IT's taken 2 elk and 5 deer.The other member that will sell his you can not go wrong. The wood is awesome and I never had any problem with mine.That said I hunt centerfire now and would not even think of selling my .54.
rvn 69-70 11 b 2p 173rd
rmef
  2 ways to conquer and enslave a nation
      one's by sword,the other is by debt.
               John Adams

Offline Harleysboss

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 05:14:43 PM »
I have both side locks and inlines (White) (AWSOME GUN!) and I have to tell you that cleaning either one is not that big a deal. Both get equally dirty so I would not let that one issue steer you away from a side lock. I have a Lyman 54 cal trade rifle with the lyman peep and a white dot front sight. It has taken two bulls so far one with round ball and one with a sabot/bullet combo. The deer stalker is a solid rifle and so is the big horn. The knights 1-28 twist is a little more forgiving shooting sabots or conicals. The lyman will shoots conicals as well as sabots. You can buy mmp sabots that will take a .500 sized bullet like the bullet for the 50 AE pistol. 300 grains in that neighborhood. Shot that combo out of my trade rifle with good results. Not match winning but sub 3 inch groups at 75yds. Also patched rd ball with the 1-48 of the lyman works wonders. Just my 2 cents cant really go wrong with either gun.  Now my White...thats another story..big conicals one large ragged hole..oh ya now we are talking :) can you guess which one is going on my annual elk safari next week.

Offline gee_unit360

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 05:22:50 PM »
Knight Bighorn. Extremely accurate.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 05:40:30 PM »

How does it shoot? Do you have a photo? Wouldn't take a straight trade for a Stevens 200 in .223, AIM 3-9 scope, with 30 or 40 rounds for it would ya? Haha.

Shoots great. I never did get very good groups at 100 yards but that's only because I'm just not that good at that distance with a peep sight. I could probably get a photo sometime this week but it's in really good condition. I'm just busy now getting ready for elk hunting this next week. And yes, I'd consider the 223 because that'd be a great rifle for my daughters to shoot.

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 08:13:01 PM »
Bighorn 50.  It is getting difficult to find 54 projectiles.  There is a WIDE variety of 50 projectiles.

Peep site is readily available (one time search).  Every year search for 54.

I replaced the barrel on my 700 ML with a 50 (was hard to find a good stainless 54)  Was sad for a bid, but happy finding the bullets (EVERY store has 50)

Offline Chukarhead

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 09:36:34 AM »
That's sort of an apples vs. rhubarb choice...

If you want a fairly unusual weapon that is less reliable, has fewer projectile options, and looks classy, go with a .54 sidelock (and I'd go with the Lyman over the Cabela's).  If you're the guy that shoots a .358 WSM for elk just because, this might be for you.

If your interests lean toward accurate, reliable, easily fed, but less classy, then buy a Bighorn.

.50's kill elk just fine--no major advantage to a .54.  If you shoot an inline, you'll probably migrate to bullets with more effective terminal performance soon, such as bonded bullets, or Barnes or Lehigh lead-free options.

Offline tonykarter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 05:28:02 AM »
Bobcat I'll take that Lyman stainless Deerstalker if you still have it.

Online Jellymon

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 06:57:42 AM »
Knight. Shot this with my knight at 100yds, fiber optic front bead and a peep rear. 3 shots. And yes, I'm going to pretend I do this every time. :chuckle:

.50cal gun with 250gr .45cal hornady XTP sabot, 110gr 777 FFG, musket cap. My deer load. If I hunted elk with it I would bump up the bullet weight.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal