collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How long does powder stay good  (Read 2407 times)

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
How long does powder stay good
« on: September 27, 2015, 08:13:20 PM »
Title says it all. I bought some pyrodex Rs when I first bought everything. It's half gone already from trying different bullets and powder loads.
I have a second 16oz thing of the pyrodex rs powder that came with the original muzzleloader that was given to me to use...it's old though, still has a metal cap and $10.99 price tag.
Also I was given 16oz thing of Goex ffg powder that's about half full. I was told this powder was amazing stuff and should use it....but again it's old.

Will these powder still be good.

Also I have a think of rws n-1075 caps that are equally as old. Those still good?
I refused to try this stuff at the moment until I know they are good or not.

Thanks

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
Re: How long does powder stay good
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 08:22:07 PM »
I think it will stay good a long while as long as it is kept dry and cool.
I have several containers of Prodex and Thiple 777.  Went to the range and shot several hours no problem they are three or four years old.

On another note I had some pyrodex pellets floating around in little container loose. Left over from speed loaders from last year. Tried to shoot them no dice.
I think it was because the dark ends had got beat up rattling around in the loose container.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »
Should be good as long as it has been kept dry.

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 09:15:59 PM »
Perfect. Gotta love saving money and not having to buy more powder. :IBCOOL:

Offline Marcoramius

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 09:41:07 PM »
I think I still have half a can of Ball C2 from the mid 70's that my step dad passed down to me with his old Lee Loaders in the late 80's. Although I think it would probably work just fine, I'm pretty sure it will stay right where it is and never be used again  :bdid:

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 07:00:37 AM »
I had your same concern with a can of Pyrodex RS Select that I've had a LONG time; so I called the manufacturer and a very nice man told me, "Virtually forever; kept in the original container; away from moisture and temperature extremes".

I have yet to have a misfire.

" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline PyroBlack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 10:51:10 AM »
You won't find out how good / how contaminated that old jug of Pyrodex is, not until you shoot it. Once it does get moisture-contaminated thou, it loses power-punch and ability to ignite more easily.

That Goex given to you is a different creature. It (real blackpowder) can recover 100% from getting moisture in it.

(in my opinion) Real Black is a better / smarter purchase than Pyrodex, which rusts bores quicker than Real Black. Any real blackpowqder ignites more easily than Pyrodex. To clarify that statement, Pyrodex pellets have real blackpowder on the ignition-side of their pellets, to enhance ignition.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal