collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Knight Bighorn Shooting low  (Read 8462 times)

Offline NWKrenz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Knight Bighorn Shooting low
« on: September 28, 2015, 07:06:48 PM »
I don't know what happened from last year to this year. I can't seem to get my Knight to shoot right. I was shooting power belts last year and they were shooting alright.

Recently I picked up some Barnes 300 grain mz's and the first time I shot I was using 100 grains, this past time I tried 110 to see if that would make any difference. The first shot was way low so I raised it up a bit and still the same result. Did the same thing after the next shot.

I don't know what the problem is, for all I know I'm adjusting the sight the wrong way. Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline Firedogg

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Knight Bighorn Shooting low
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 07:11:14 PM »
 Move the rear sight the direction you want to move where you are hitting... In this case the rear sight needs to go up.
There is no greater respect to have for wildlife than to harvest an animal fairly and use it's flesh to feed your family.  ~me

Online ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 07:14:25 PM »
What distance you shooting?

From bench or free hand?
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline PyroBlack

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 08:11:08 PM »
It's not unusual when switching from conicals to sabots, that the sights could need considerable adjustment.

Just moving them a little may not be enough.

Offline NWKrenz

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 08:27:20 PM »
I was shooting at around 40 yards. In the picture where the pen is pointing is where I started from, and you can see where it is now.

Wouldn't moving the sight up on the rail raise the view on the front sight therefore aiming further down? Maybe my logic is wrong, I would think if I lowered the sight on the rail it would make the front sight higher and then be shooting higher. 

Firedog my first shot was the one on the bottom right, and the sight was where the pen mark is. Hardly anything changed after I drastically changed the sight.

I was resting on my truck, is was kinda dusk when I was shooting but I could still see the target very well.

Offline NWKrenz

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 08:28:26 PM »
The pen mark is where I started at. That would be the bottom right shot.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 08:30:58 PM »
You need to raise the rear sight to move the point of impact up.

Offline Chukarhead

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 08:35:24 PM »
1. Move your sight up to raise the point of impact up (you're moving it the wrong way...).

2. 40 yards might be a little close for zero... fine for getting on paper, but a little short for zero.

2. Resting your gun on your truck to fire is illegal, don't do it.

Offline NWKrenz

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 08:35:54 PM »
Hmm alright, maybe I just pulled on the first shot or last weekend. I was shooting 100 grains last weekend then switched to 110 tonight because I thought maybe that was something to do with it.

Thank you, I hope I can get it dialed it.

Offline NWKrenz

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 08:40:50 PM »
1. Move your sight up to raise the point of impact up (you're moving it the wrong way...).

2. 40 yards might be a little close for zero... fine for getting on paper, but a little short for zero.

I understand that now, I was 3/4 way up on my sight to start but my logic on how the sight worked was obviously backwards.

And by zero what do you mean? If I'm shooting like that at 40 yards am I supposed to expect it's going to be in the bulls eye at 100 yards?

I'm on private property inside an indoor barn shooting range. Yeah it doesn't make it right but it's not like I'm shooting outside my window at an a animal.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 08:46:33 PM »
The law was changed recently. You can legally rest your rifle on your vehicle, if on private land.

Offline NWKrenz

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 08:55:05 PM »
Bobcat, even if hunting?

Online ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 08:55:33 PM »
You might well sight in under those conditions.
But I would sit at a bench with a solid rest for my rifle. Holding the gun the exact same way for every shot.
I would start at 50 yards than move out to 100 yards.

Leaning on a truck with open sights is just to willy nilly when trying to zero. Once you get zeroed you can do it any old way than you will know if it is you or the gun or load.

I try to eliminate all the errors I can when sighting in.  :twocents:

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
Knight Bighorn Shooting low
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 08:56:51 PM »
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 09:10:12 PM by bobcat »

Offline NWKrenz

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 09:01:07 PM »
Thanks ghosthunter I will try to find a more steady rest. I feel pretty darn confident shooting from how I set it up on my truck but I could be wrong.

I know I'm doing something wrong. Thank you

Offline Chukarhead

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 09:06:41 PM »
The law was changed recently. You can legally rest your rifle on your vehicle, if on private land.

Well, I'll be gosh-darned.  I was sure you were wrong...so I checked the RCW.  Go figure.  It looks like as long as you're off the maintained public roadway you're good.

Sorry for any misinformation!

Online ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 09:17:31 PM »

Well, I'll be gosh-darned.  I was sure you were wrong...so I checked the RCW.  Go figure.  It looks like as long as you're off the maintained public roadway you're good.

Sorry for any misinformation!

Even that is debatable, they changed that too. Page 87 #7 Wac 232-12-054 Negligently Discharging a firearm along any public hwy.
Capt Mann told all the Hunter Ed instructors in the state , That you could stand on the center line of I 90 and shoot a deer as long as there was nobody coming and you were not Negligent. Technically. :yike:

So sorry  :jacked: :hunter:

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 09:25:15 PM »
It's pretty clear:

(4) This section does not apply if the person:

(a) Is a law enforcement officer who is authorized to carry a firearm and is on duty within the officer's respective jurisdiction;

(b) Possesses a disabled hunter's permit as provided by RCW 77.32.237 and complies with all rules of the department concerning hunting by persons with disabilities; or

(c) Discharges the rifle or shotgun from upon a nonmoving motor vehicle, as long as the engine is turned off and the motor vehicle is not parked on or beside the maintained portion of a public road, except as authorized by the commission by rule. This subsection (4)(c) does not apply to off-road vehicles, which are unlawful to use for hunting under RCW 46.09.480, unless the person has a department permit issued under RCW 77.32.237.

(5) For purposes of subsection (1) of this section, a rifle or shotgun shall not be considered loaded if the detachable clip or magazine is not inserted in or attached to the rifle or shotgun.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 08:12:14 AM »

I understand that now, I was 3/4 way up on my sight to start but my logic on how the sight worked was obviously backwards.

And by zero what do you mean? If I'm shooting like that at 40 yards am I supposed to expect it's going to be in the bulls eye at 100 yards?

I'm on private property inside an indoor barn shooting range. Yeah it doesn't make it right but it's not like I'm shooting outside my window at an a animal.

Shoot 3 rounds.  If they are close together, that is your "group".  It's ok if they didn't hit the bullseye, we'll work on that.

Adjust your sights in the direction from your "group" that you need to move to the "bullseye".  So if you are consistently shooting low, adjust your sights up. 

Fire 3 more rounds.  You've now got a new "group" to work with.  Adjust sights again if necessary.  I typically won't do more than 10-12 rounds when zeroing my ML.  I'll clean it and start over.

If you are starting at 40 yards, get a good "zero" (meaning that you're consistently putting your group on the bullseye area), and start working your way out to 100 yards.  I personally zero at 50 yards, and work my way to 100 but I don't adjust at 100.  I just want to know how I'm shooting at 100, but I keep my zero at 50.  Meaning right now at 100 yards, I drop a few inches and it tends to drag to the left.  I will keep that in mind when I'm hunting elk this weekend, but I try to keep my shots under 50 yards anyways. 

Does that make sense?

edit:  Just a heads up, the Army zeros at 25 meters.  Don't feel bad for starting at 40 yards.

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 09:16:58 AM »
So wait when adjusting rear sight you're saying if you're shooting low then move the sight forward up to raise where the bullet hits? Wouldnt that point your barrel further downward giving you an even lower point of impact? I would think lowering the sight bringing it closer to the barrel would raise the front sight and raise where the point of impact is. Am I wrong?!

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 09:19:39 AM »
So wait when adjusting rear sight you're saying if you're shooting low then move the sight forward up to raise where the bullet hits? Wouldnt that point your barrel further downward giving you an even lower point of impact? I would think lowering the sight bringing it closer to the barrel would raise the front sight and raise where the point of impact is. Am I wrong?!

Yes.  To raise the point of impact you raise the rear sight or lower the front sight.

Offline NWKrenz

• Tracker
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 09:37:16 AM »
Yes that makes sense. I plan on doing the same, I just want to be right on at 50 and know where I'm shooting at around 100. I'd be very lucky to get a shot over 50 yards where I hunt.

Good luck on Elk this weekend, Saturday can't come soon enough. Thanks

Offline NWKrenz

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 09:38:51 AM »

That was exactly my thoughts but I was wrong. I will try again tonight and see what happens.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 09:40:42 AM »
After you zero, spend some time shooting differently. 

Shoot with a pack, without, shoot kneeling, prone, around a tree/obstacle, etc.  Basically get used to having your body in different positions and being able to still stay on target.  It's unbelievable how a small body position change can throw you off sometimes.  Getting close to season so I know you won't have a lot of time, but in the future it's a good idea.  It'll help you out in the long run to be super comfortable with your gun in all situations.

Curtis

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 09:52:59 AM »
Yes that makes sense. I plan on doing the same, I just want to be right on at 50 and know where I'm shooting at around 100. I'd be very lucky to get a shot over 50 yards where I hunt.

Good luck on Elk this weekend, Saturday can't come soon enough. Thanks

You should be about 1.5"- 2" low @ 100y if you sight in at 50y.

Offline Maverick

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 10:34:29 AM »
Hmm sound like I need to adjust my girlfriends muzzleloader. Shot it Saturday and didn't have anything to clean it with so got it centered but a little low. A guy told me that shooting a rifle at 25 yards will match 100 yards because of how the bullet goes up and then down. Is that true with muzzle loaders too?

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2015, 10:37:57 AM »
That's a loaded question with a ton of variables.  I would zero at 50 and then see where you're at with 25 and 100.  Powder load, bullet size, barrel length, etc all play a factor. 

Also, everybody's body position is completely different, so how they see the sights is different.  I strongly recommend you always zero your own gun.

Offline Maverick

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2015, 11:07:48 AM »
Thanks will do. Were shooting knight big horns with 100 grains of triple 7 and 300 grain powerbelts. Musket caps. Lol

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 12:00:01 PM »
This is all just my $.02.

I am not an expert shooter by any means but I had a great experience in the Army that kept things real simple: 
1) Get your group
2) Get your zero
3) Learn your gun at different ranges and positions after finding your zero.

Curtis

Offline NWKrenz

• Tracker
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2015, 01:14:36 PM »
This is all just my $.02.

I am not an expert shooter by any means but I had a great experience in the Army that kept things real simple: 
1) Get your group
2) Get your zero
3) Learn your gun at different ranges and positions after finding your zero.

Curtis

Thanks Curtis for all your input, we will see what tonight brings. Very nice Knight's maverick. Are you shooting FFG or FFFG?

Offline Firedogg

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2015, 07:56:32 PM »
  I was out with my Bighorn today, also shooting low with the new loads. Had good grouping last puting, today was getting the sight set. It took a significant move of the rear sight to make a 4" adjustment up. It was initially almost at the halfway mark on the sight, ended up 3/4 of the way between the 4th and last large mark when I finished.

With Hornady 300grn at 50yds it hits about 2 1/2 inches above the top edge of the sight. At 100 it is right at the top edge. Tried some Powerbelt 338grn Platinums and there is only about 1/2 inch difference where they hit at 100yds, all using 110grns of 777. 

Happy to have it hitting where it is, now if I can somehow get out to hunt.

(2 hrs and 45minutes from Federal Way up to the UW hospital this morning) uggh
There is no greater respect to have for wildlife than to harvest an animal fairly and use it's flesh to feed your family.  ~me

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]