collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Let's get a thread on decoying coastal blacktails going  (Read 10466 times)

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Re: Let's get a thread on decoying coastal blacktails going
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2016, 05:47:14 PM »
Great thread.  JD how did you do last year?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 06:22:35 PM »
Got a mediocre three pint.  Things came up right at the start of the season that made me not want to hunt deer after being amped up all year, so I took the first decent buck I saw.  The guy I really wanted to get a bug mature buck got one and after that I was just not into it.  My crossbow blew up that morning when I went to shoot a pretty nice one and even before that my attitude really needed to be different all together.

The coolest thing that came up is that when taking my sands down the property owner said his neighbor wanted to talk to me... uh oh!  I went over and introduced myself and he asked why I never asked to hunt his land.  I told him that others had said:  don't even ask. 

He said that twenty years previous that the problem hunters were worse than dealing with the deer, especially big bucks, trashing his young fruit stock and they had totally shut down access.  But he had watched me for a decade and really admired how we had comported ourselves on neighboring land and also had gotten thumbs up from neighbors who are adamantly anti-hunting. 

This property has a couple apple orchards, and is a travel route that deer use to move between a large park, where they bed, and a large area that they fan out into to feed.  It is going to be archery only, but I shoot a compound and an Excalibur crossbow as well as slug guns and black powder so I think I will buy a multi-season tag this year.   

I use Big Game Stealth Deluxe stands and they have a very limited foot platform, so I am going to invest in a couple additional stands that are better just for this property.  I have seen true monsters on the property in the past and this is a big deal. 

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2016, 05:05:42 PM »
Nice!  That should give you some additional options on setting up stands for different wind directions on the two properties.  You may not get a chance to try out those decoys again this year.

You've got the arsenal covered, but I must be missing something because I don't see when the crossbow will come into use.  I remember you use a DS II and have a sidearm for animals coming in from your right flank.  Is the Excalibur just a fun option to use instead of the slug gun, or is one of your spots a firearm restricted area limited to crossbows? 
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2016, 05:10:36 PM »
Nice!  That should give you some additional options on setting up stands for different wind directions on the two properties.  You may not get a chance to try out those decoys again this year.

You've got the arsenal covered, but I must be missing something because I don't see when the crossbow will come into use.  I remember you use a DS II and have a sidearm for animals coming in from your right flank.  Is the Excalibur just a fun option to use instead of the slug gun, or is one of your spots a firearm restricted area limited to crossbows?

Too close to occupied buildings in one instance and in deference to property owners that just prefer not to have firearms that get neighbors stirred up even though they are not within a thousand yards.  Keepin' the natives happy. 

Offline kodiak 907

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: U.S. Navy/Combat Recon, NRA, DU
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2016, 05:42:17 PM »
Coming out to the open will NEVER BE big buck Blacktail behavior. Sorry but no matter what you do you won't make a big mature Blacktail buck standing in the open a "normal" thing. That's why big Blacktail bucks are the hardest to kill deer species in North America.

I can tell you that big blacktails do move during daylight hours and one of the best times to kill big bucks during the rut is between 11-1. You just need to find the place that they frequent during mid day and "the open" is likely not that place. Probably more like a small pocket in reprod or dark timber or the edge of hard and soft woods.

I'm sure decoys would work but I've found the places that big bucks frequent during daylight hours to be too hard to get to to be dragging in multiple full body decoys. Just my opinion.

:yeah:
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2016, 09:43:12 PM »
In your case, keeping the natives friendly is most important.  If it's your own property you're hunting, I say "hell with 'em" (or something like that).  If you're on somebody else's property, you gotta play by their rules, or self-imposed rules that work in your favor long-term.  Makes perfect sense.

Have you taken a buck with that crossbow?  They seem to be a pretty wicked killing instrument from what I've seen on TV.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 05:49:34 AM »
The first year we used one anther buddy loaned us a Ten Point and my buddy  shot a big buck with it.  It was so heavy that it would put your leg to sleep if it was resting on it when you were sitting in a stand.  I almost feinted after returning it to find out that it was a $1,800 crossbow.  We researched then and bought a couple Excalibur Matrix 355s and have shot a couple big does with them last year.  They are good for stand hunting and one of the does was shot at 65 lasered yards. 

They are unwieldy as heck and still hunting isn't even a possibility, but for stand hunting they are great.   

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2016, 08:59:41 AM »

"I can tell you that big blacktails do move during daylight hours and one of the best times to kill big bucks during the rut is between 11-1. You just need to find the place that they frequent during mid day and "the open" is likely not that place. Probably more like a small pocket in reprod or dark timber or the edge of hard and soft woods."

Last year when I caught that monster crossing the road in front of my truck at noonish I was thinking that dogs or someone had forced him out of where he was lying up.  He was headed straight for an orchard when I saw him.  This is the time that I am normally napping, so thanks for the info.  He didn't seem pressured in any way and I have spent the last year thinking about this.  He makes the big buck I have posted photos of look common.  He very well may have been cruising, checking out the doe herds.  He was around in late summer and if someone had taken him this fall word would have spread. 

:yeah: I second this....I have killed almost all of my bigger bucks between 11-2....my experience is during the rut these big bucks chase/breed all night long and rest up around first light and then around 10-11 they get back up when the does get up to feed and start chasing/searching again...I have used estrus pee and it has been effective...I got my biggest buck using this method....I knew there was a good buck in the area and made myself a drag line and soaked it with blacktail doe estrus and sprayed the lower half of my legs to help eliminate my scent and walked the area that I knew he frequinted. The next day around noon he came right in the open clear cut in the middle of a sunny day. That's this buck

This one I was doing a rattle session and heard movement behind me and there was a spike and chasing a doe and was happy taking him to put meat in the freezer and before I could he disapeared over the ridge...I got to the top and looked over and this guy was hot on their trail in the middle of the day again, and as you can see it was another sunny mid day

This one was chasing a doe out in the open and I caught this guy before he bedded down...the only reason he was still out in the morning was the hot doe he was after.

My whole point  to this reply was that you said you were napping during the 11-1 time...can't kill a good buck if your at home sleeping  :chuckle: I use to do the same thing, well didn't have much of a choice before I could drive as my dad would always come home for lunch. After I got my license and was able to go out by myself I dedicated alot of time watching, learning blacktail habits and this one has been key to harvesting several nice bucks...are they Boone and crockett? No but there trophies to me and great bucks for my area. I also believe the use of a doe decoy at these times could have been useful and should come to your advantage with drawing out those bucks searching for does, make sure and take advantage of the doe in heat estruss, these big bucks use their noses as much or more than their eyes. It sounds like you have this area down and its just a matter of time before you outsmart that old bruiser. Good luck this year and can't wait to see a bbd pic  :tup:
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 03:15:00 PM »
 [/quote]
I knew there was a good buck in the area and made myself a drag line and soaked it with blacktail doe estrus and sprayed the lower half of my legs to help eliminate my scent and walked the area that I knew he frequinted. The next day around noon he came right in the open clear cut in the middle of a sunny day.

I hear different things about the doe in estrus urine. I'd like to try it, maybe hang some scent strips along with a doe decoy. Did you bu it? What brand did you use?

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2016, 04:59:51 PM »

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2016, 05:54:13 PM »
Scent strips would probably work...I got this stuff

http://www.cabelas.com/product/MOCCASIN-JOE-BLACKTAIL-DOE-IN-HEAT-URINE/1656245.uts
Thanks I saw another thread debating whether or not this stuff worked some said yes others wondered how they could get that much doe in estrus piss.

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2016, 07:42:57 PM »
Well I can't say for sure if it works 100% or not....all I know is I've used it and shot bucks within 24 hrs of placing the scent trail in the same area...and to me that shows it works...I was having a hard time getting visuals of the mature bucks during daylight and that seemed to change the game....a $6 bottle of blacktail urine and a little wear and tear on my legs laying the scent trail was worth the effort to try it...is it worth it to everyone? Probably not...I'm a blacktail fanatic and absolutely love hunting them and I'm always trying to make the odds of getting that big mature buck in my favor...most people don't or won't put in the effort it takes to harvest mature blacktail year after year but if your dedicated it can and will be done...persistence is key

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2016, 08:08:27 PM »
Well I can't say for sure if it works 100% or not....all I know is I've used it and shot bucks within 24 hrs of placing the scent trail in the same area...and to me that shows it works...I was having a hard time getting visuals of the mature bucks during daylight and that seemed to change the game....a $6 bottle of blacktail urine and a little wear and tear on my legs laying the scent trail was worth the effort to try it...is it worth it to everyone? Probably not...I'm a blacktail fanatic and absolutely love hunting them and I'm always trying to make the odds of getting that big mature buck in my favor...most people don't or won't put in the effort it takes to harvest mature blacktail year after year but if your dedicated it can and will be done...persistence is key
Thanks heck I'll try anything. I only have the late hunt this year because of work so 4 days I'll try anything. Appreciate the tips.

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2016, 08:20:52 PM »
The last 4 days or so of season and late buck is some of the best hunting and gives you your best chance to bag that mature buck....whatever you do DONT go back in for lunch stay out hunting!

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2016, 08:45:13 PM »
The last 4 days or so of season and late buck is some of the best hunting and gives you your best chance to bag that mature buck....whatever you do DONT go back in for lunch stay out hunting!
No lunch for me bro!!! haha thanks man

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull