collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Setting up to reload  (Read 6194 times)

Offline follow maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
Setting up to reload
« on: October 04, 2015, 12:54:00 AM »
So ok looking at getting set up to reload. Not sure if I'm going to get a single or progressive press, yet. Will probably come down to budget when I'm ready to make the plunge. My question is how much space does it take to set up a reloading station. The reason I ask is my house is small and I'm not sure if I ha e the space, or not. Also, how sturdy of a table or bench is required?

Online huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Setting up to reload
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 07:30:14 AM »
I got into it last year and built my bench 2'×5'. I used an oak door leaf as the main bench top ( $40 from a Habitat for Humanity restore ) and 4x6's for the legs and 2x4's and 1/2" plywood for the lower storage shelf. The sturdier and heavy you can make it the better. With my RCBS press I can still move my table a little while sizing brass. I went with a single stage press because I figured there was less to pay attention to at one time. The RCBS. Rock Chucker supreme master kit is what I went with. It has just about everything you need . You will still need to grab a set of calipers, a tumbler , extra reloading manual and the dies to get started .
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 07:37:20 AM by huntandjeep »
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 08:54:36 AM »
Cap. Silver is selling a bunch of reloading stuff.

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,182937.msg2413024.html#msg2413024

I've got a single stage, which has worked fine for me for the last 30 years.  However, if I was reloading for an AR, a progressive would probably be in order.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
If you are doing more then a thousand rounds or so of pistol or .223 a year, I would go straight to a progressive.  The natural progression is to start with a single stage, learn and see if you stick with it then migrate to a progressive.  The good thing is that you can likely sell your equipment for maybe 20-25% less then what you paid (RCBS Rockchucker) for it, maybe even better, if you decide it isn't for you.  If you go with a Dillon 650 you can instantly sell it for 10% less then the new price.  Every year Dillon's prices go up at the first of the year so you will be able to get more then what you paid for it in short order if you get out of it.  I would steer clear of everything but a Dillon 650 for a progressive.

You need very little space to reload.  A very nice setup can be made that will take up about as much room as your vacuum does in the closet.  If you search for closet reloading set ups I am sure you can find some nice plans.     

Offline Rich_S

• Scout
  • Retired Seattle Fire Captain - 1st. Paramedic
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 09:11:48 AM »
If I were doing it, I'd do the same as I did so many years ago. Buy a good, rugged single stage press. (I had a Herter's). Then, when you're ready, add a progressive. I have a Dillon 550, but most of the popular brands will do. You'll never outgrow the need for the single-stage. It is really the thing to have when you need to re-form brass.

Nobody says "There can be only one!" :D
Rich

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 09:39:32 AM »
Progressives are good if you're loading the same load combo all the time.  If you're jacking around with different bullets and different powder weights I'd go with a single stage.

I have both.

Offline MP123

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 10:55:29 AM »
You might check out a turret press.  It's sort of an intermediate between single stage and progressive.  I have the Lee one and just keep all the dies for each caliber I reload on separate turrets.  It works really well and doesn't take up a whole lot of room.

Your bench doesn't need to be super big or sturdy.  Straight wall cartridges don't take a whole lot of force to resize, bottleneck more so.  You can clamp the press to a kitchen table and probably get away with that for a bit at least. A heavy built workbench would be better obviously but that can come later.

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 09:05:35 AM »
Accuracy single stage rifle and pistol  :twocents:. Plinking/blasting progressive for pistol. I'm still looking for a safe consistant  load for my 223 and others on a progressive. To erratic for me for now. This winter I'll spend more time on the progressive for rifle loads. Good luck!
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 09:45:30 AM »
What kind of progressive are you loading on that you aren't getting consistent throws?

Accuracy single stage rifle and pistol  :twocents:. Plinking/blasting progressive for pistol. I'm still looking for a safe consistant  load for my 223 and others on a progressive. To erratic for me for now. This winter I'll spend more time on the progressive for rifle loads. Good luck!

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 10:21:03 AM »
So ok looking at getting set up to reload. Not sure if I'm going to get a single or progressive press, yet. Will probably come down to budget when I'm ready to make the plunge. My question is how much space does it take to set up a reloading station. The reason I ask is my house is small and I'm not sure if I ha e the space, or not. Also, how sturdy of a table or bench is required?

Go with single first. You will always use it, even if you get a progressive later.  I loaded 1,000s of rounds on a Lee hand press, then a Lee Classic Cast single stage pres, before I got a progressive.  I still use the single stage more than the progressive, but I don't shoot a ton, these days. 

A turret is a decent way to straddle the fence. 

A handheld primer and a Lee hand press take up very little space. You just need a small space to measure/weigh powder.  If I were space constrained, I would not feel too limited with a hand press, except possibly in full length sizing magnum rifle cases.  I will never get rid of my hand press. 

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 11:01:37 AM »
What kind of progressive are you loading on that you aren't getting consistent throws?

Pro 2000
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 11:07:37 AM »
If you are doing more then a thousand rounds or so of pistol or .223 a year, I would go straight to a progressive.  The natural progression is to start with a single stage, learn and see if you stick with it then migrate to a progressive.  The good thing is that you can likely sell your equipment for maybe 20-25% less then what you paid (RCBS Rockchucker) for it, maybe even better, if you decide it isn't for you.

You need very little space to reload.  A very nice setup can be made that will take up about as much room as your vacuum does in the closet.  If you search for closet reloading set ups I am sure you can find some nice plans.     
Many reloaders will definitely recommend starting single stage.  There is a steep and dangerous learning curve with reloading, it is quite easy to produce unsafe loads.  By having ONE thing going on at a time a single stage press helps counter that for new reloaders.  Single stages also as mentioned are normally more precise for the same reason that you have ONE round in it and going thru 1 die at a time.  Variances in brass going thru multiple dies can cause loss of precision in progressive units.  A tight piece of brass going thru the size/deprime can tilt the shell plate and make a bullet seat deepr on the other side of the press, etc.

That said if you know you will be putting out lots of rounds out for plinking a progressive is really the way to go.  A progressive running well can put out hundreds of rounds per hour once you have it dialed in.  To start off with though I recommend getting a few loading books and then when you actually start, only run one piece of brass thru at a time.  Get to learn the process and understand what is happening in the process as well as how the press is doing it for you.  Then you can start going full production.  you can also try one round at a time to do more precise rounds though that is just thinking theoretically as a way to get them more precise.

All the Mfg these days make a good press.  I have owned 2 lees and now a Hornady.  Just starting out the Lee is often the right choice just due to budget.  Hornady will be about 2x the cost of lee, and dillon about 2x the cost of hornady.   (this is a rough ballpark based on looking last month) 

In the lee I would recommend the loadmaster and skip the pro1000, it is just a better more vesitiile press.  The Loadmaster you can get ready to go for one caliber for $250shipped.  That is press, powder drop, shell plate, dies etc for a single caliber.  All you add is brass, primers, powder and bullets..  Similar setup for Hornady will be $500-600.  If it will take you a year to save up the $5-600 then go for the Lee, you will get yourself rolling, start saving$ on ammo and gain experience.  (I said saving, not spending less!)  The Lee will get it done and every press mfg has their quirks, it is just figuring out which you can live with.  The lee was great with turrets so base pistol or plinking rounds you can just put shellplate and turret in and start producing.  Dies stay preset in the turret.

I ran my loadmaster for 3yrs, just sold it 2 months ago and upgraded to a Hornady LnL but only after using a friends and liking how it ran with new calibers I was adding.  I had so many accy with the Lee I got a decent price for it.  I took that sale price +$250 to get my Hornady running but was short shellplate and lugs for one caliber still.  The Hornady is a nicer press imho.  The indexing in particular is more consistent and the press overall feels more solid.  I also prefer the way you can insert and remove dies 1 at a time without losing setting as well as the spring setup for retaining cases.  This can be handy if you need to do something unique with a couple rounds in the middle of a run for some reason.  you can just swap out a single station, slide a case in mid process and run it thru the die and then go back to what you were doing.  I also liked the way the press cams over better.

It really just comes down to budget though and what you can and cannot afford combined with your "needs".

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 11:14:06 AM »

Pro 2000
Pro1000?
Using the stock powder drop?  I never got the stock disk throw for them to be super consistent.  It worked for 223 ok, but was +/-.2or3 if I recall, ok for plinking but not much else.  That will be dependant on powder type too; Extruded, stick, etc..

Get yourself a used uniflow or hornady thrower and a hornady case activation kit, you will love it for progressive loading!  Or for real precision get a trickler and manually load each round.

Offline Mxracer532

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 11:18:25 AM »
I have a brand new in the box Hornady Lock N Load AP that im looking at possibly letting go. (Im trying to get a rifle just for bear hunting) Even trying to trade off my tack driving Vangaurd 22-250.
Avid ARCHERY deer and elk hunter.
Coyote killer in the off season.
MX Racer simi retired to practice when I can.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]