collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: vortek northwest magnum question  (Read 8991 times)

Offline RoyBoy

• The Buck Creek Kid
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: "Coyote 5.0"
vortek northwest magnum question
« on: October 05, 2015, 09:33:38 PM »
Ok I have a vortek northwest magnum 50 cal inline ive had for a couple years I love the gun. Have been hunting muzzle loader elk this year shot my gun twice today because its been a while aimed dead on and hit bullseye but it was only at 20 yards. Im using 100 grains of triple seven powder and powerboat 245 grain bullets my question is if its hitting bullseye that close whst do you think the drop at 50 and 100 yards would be? Thanks
"It aint about how hard you hit. Its about how hard you can hit and keep moving forward! how much you can take and keep moving forward!!

-Rocky

Offline kyles_88

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
Re: vortek northwest magnum question
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 04:36:23 PM »
First of all I wouldn't use power belts as there are far better performing projectiles out there for hunting.  I personally would suggest Barnes bullets with a sabot if you want to stay with full bore hornady FPBs or federal has a new one out I forget the name of right now.  And the only way to really know where your gun will shoot with any given load/distance combo is to shoot it and see.  For my optima v2 with 350gr FPBs and 110 gr 777 sighted at 40 yards I'm 1/1/2 inch high.  At 100 I'm 3 high and starts to drop about 150 down to about an inch low.

Offline MountainDevil54

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 06:38:53 PM »
If a powerbelt, the Platinum series or the Aerolite series will be best. I especially LOVE the 300gr Aerolite, its a BEAST.

2" high at 50 should be very close to dead on at 100 with the 300gr Aerolite.

Offline kyles_88

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 09:12:49 AM »
My devil what kinda actual performance do those aerolights provide on game from what I've read and seen they don't open up at all just poke small holes in animals which isn't effective for stopping them quickly.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 09:26:10 AM »
I've never heard of a powerbelt not expanding. The issue people have with them is over-expanding. But that could be a problem with just the non-jacketed version, which is the only one I have experience with.

Offline Jellymon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 09:50:27 AM »
 :peep:

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 09:41:45 PM »
Tried to use Barnes EZ in the Vortek and they were too tight to load.  Had to settle for Powerbelt Platinums which loaded fine.

Offline MountainDevil54

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 10:26:05 PM »
Aerolites expand very nicely!

Offline fastdam

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 04:59:45 AM »
First of all I wouldn't use power belts as there are far better performing projectiles out there for hunting.  I personally would suggest Barnes bullets with a sabot if you want to stay with full bore hornady FPBs or federal has a new one out I forget the name of right now.  And the only way to really know where your gun will shoot with any given load/distance combo is to shoot it and see.  For my optima v2 with 350gr FPBs and 110 gr 777 sighted at 40 yards I'm 1/1/2 inch high.  At 100 I'm 3 high and starts to drop about 150 down to about an inch low.

^^this is exactly what I would say as well.

Also, Barnes makes a sabot that loads a little easier for tight bores.  I believe its called the TMZ. The sabot is blue. We use them in my girlfriends Vortek.   They were easier to load in that gun than in my Thompson Center.

Offline Jrzbullelk

• Hunter
  • What you do in life echos in eternity - Gladiator
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 09:08:08 AM »
I use hornady sst 250grain myself that is what I saw performed the best for me with my vortek  :tup:
TO DARE IS TO DO!

DO OR DO NOT THERE IS NO TRY!

Offline BigBullDreamer11

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 11:16:29 AM »
I shoot 275GR bloodlines out of mine with 100GRs of Triple7 fffg and 2 inches high at 50 is dead on at 100!

Online Duckslayer89

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 06:01:23 PM »
I just purchased my first muzzleloader today, a vortek northwest magnum. Are these pretty good guns? I liked the simplicity and it's nice and light. I rarely buy anything without researching it to the extreme but today was different. Also any tips would be appreciated. I bought the 290 grain Barnes sabots they are blue.

Offline shorthair15

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 06:11:22 PM »
the reviews are not good on that muzzy. use the search engine here. all though i looked at one today at bi-mart in vancouver. its a new model vortek. it has a removable breech plug and nipple. they have changed some of the components on this one. i dont own a vortek,but it looks like they made some significant changes to it. it had a pad on the ramrod a palm saver. i read the manual. it says to use a oil in the area were the firing pin is. it says there is a o-ring in there to prevent blowback. ive looked at the older models. this may have been there answer to some of the issues they had in the past. the breech plug came out with turning it with my finger's.
Member of the NRA,GOA and Washington For Wildlife.NWTF member Disabled US NAVY Veteran 6/2/90 to 6/2/99 3 Good Conduct Medals, and 3 Honorable Discharges, 2 german shorthairs, tikka 6.5 creedmor,Remington 300 ULTRAMAG, GLOCK 22. Elk,Deer and upland birds and love Fishing

Offline shorthair15

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 06:23:12 PM »
i would put a musket cap on the nipple and make sure it ignites as soon as you can? try a rws musket cap. they are setup for musket most issues i heard was with caps not going off. if this is the new model with the breech plug they may have solved this.
Member of the NRA,GOA and Washington For Wildlife.NWTF member Disabled US NAVY Veteran 6/2/90 to 6/2/99 3 Good Conduct Medals, and 3 Honorable Discharges, 2 german shorthairs, tikka 6.5 creedmor,Remington 300 ULTRAMAG, GLOCK 22. Elk,Deer and upland birds and love Fishing

Online Duckslayer89

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 06:24:07 PM »
the reviews are not good on that muzzy. use the search engine here. all though i looked at one today at bi-mart in vancouver. its a new model vortek. it has a removable breech plug and nipple. they have changed some of the components on this one. i dont own a vortek,but it looks like they made some significant changes to it. it had a pad on the ramrod a palm saver. i read the manual. it says to use a oil in the area were the firing pin is. it says there is a o-ring in there to prevent blowback. ive looked at the older models. this may have been there answer to some of the issues they had in the past. the breech plug came out with turning it with my finger's.

Ya this one is Stryker fired so idk. I've read so many different reviews saying good and bad things then also good and bad about every other muzzy. But I'll keep doing some research see what pops up.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]