collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: vortek northwest magnum question  (Read 8992 times)

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: vortek northwest magnum question
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 06:26:28 PM »
i would put a musket cap on the nipple and make sure it ignites as soon as you can? try a rws musket cap. they are setup for musket most issues i heard was with caps not going off. if this is the new model with the breech plug they may have solved this.

Ok roger I bought a bunch of those RWS musket caps. And mine does have a breach plug. I don't see how they could work without one but i know nothing about muzzleloader I just bought a multi season tag and it seems cool

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 06:27:32 PM »
How loud is a cap going off? Is that something you can get away with in a back yard

Offline shorthair15

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 06:33:08 PM »
yes just put it on there stick it outside and pull the trigger. i did it on my patio. it will just make a pop noise if it ignites. better to know now then be out hunting and go to take a shot and it dont go off. it's not loud like a gun shot sounds like a pop it you throw on the ground. you will know if it goes off. just make sure you do it outside with the gun pointed in a safe direction.
Member of the NRA,GOA and Washington For Wildlife.NWTF member Disabled US NAVY Veteran 6/2/90 to 6/2/99 3 Good Conduct Medals, and 3 Honorable Discharges, 2 german shorthairs, tikka 6.5 creedmor,Remington 300 ULTRAMAG, GLOCK 22. Elk,Deer and upland birds and love Fishing

Offline shorthair15

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 06:39:27 PM »
rws are the best caps you can buy! i looked at a vortek northwest strikefire. i did not see a breech plug on it. maybe the newer ones have them. enjoy smokepole's are fun to shoot. im useing number 11's on my knight disc extreme. tighter seal than the musket cap but either will work. good luck with that multi season tag and have fun!
Member of the NRA,GOA and Washington For Wildlife.NWTF member Disabled US NAVY Veteran 6/2/90 to 6/2/99 3 Good Conduct Medals, and 3 Honorable Discharges, 2 german shorthairs, tikka 6.5 creedmor,Remington 300 ULTRAMAG, GLOCK 22. Elk,Deer and upland birds and love Fishing

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 06:48:51 PM »
Ok sounds good I'll try it. Ya it's a break action then inside the barrel there is a breach plug. It seems pretty well built. I heard the big thing is keeping them cleaned? Few questions, do you always take the bullet and pellets out of the gun every time you go hunting? How many shots do you take before a strip down clean? How often do you put a new primer on if you don't shoot it? Do you like to save the primer or periodically change them out after hunting? Thanks shorthair!

Offline Pete112288

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 06:57:14 PM »
I would have to agree with the over expanding issue with the powerbelts. I would use them on deer in a heartbeat but probably one of the heavier ones 300-348 grain. I shot the 348 grain aerotip copper jacket out of my vortek when I first started muzzleloader. It shot amazing, clover leaf at 100 off a solid bench and 100 grains 777 FFG. However the first I retrieved from an elk did not even make it through the first lung on a 50 yard broadside shot, and I didn't hit shoulder or anything like that. When I retrieved the bullet it was completely flat like you pounded it with a sledge hammer. Then I didn't know any better so I used it again, took 3 well placed shots at close range to down a cow the second year. Since then I have been trying others, tried NoExcuses and it wouldn't group for me, went to Hornady Great Plains bullets. Much better. decent grouping to 100 yards, blew through both shoulders and kept going leaving a huge exit hole and a great blood trail on a good sized cow last year.

Offline shorthair15

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 07:02:15 PM »
i always unload my gun at the end of the day or shoot it off. that is just me. powder absorbs moisture can cause it to hangfire. you can only use the caps once. they have to be replaced every time. use triple seven 3 f! your gun may not like the barnes they are  good bullets but may be super hard to load. you may have to try a few others to see what the gun like's.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 07:06:35 PM »
Ok sounds good. I will probably unload it every time then. I knew the caps could only be used once but didn't know if the caps absorbed moisture as well or what actually causes misfires. That's the last thing I want, part of the reason I've always done archery because my bow never missfires

Offline shorthair15

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 07:10:02 PM »
did the cap go off! ive took the musket cap off before and put it back on when i got out and hunted another spot. i always took the cap off when i used a musket cap before i headed to another spot. i never had any problems with them absorbing moisture. ton of  info on here for smokepole hunting. good luck to ya!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 07:15:38 PM by shorthair15 »

Offline Rem14

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor,SASS Life,RMEF,NWTF
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 10:16:00 PM »
Take a look at "Klickitat Buck" heading, you will see the new Federal Premium Trophy Copper 270 gr bullet that I recovered from my buck. Shot at about 70 yds, 100 gr Triple  7, I was impressed.

Offline BigBullDreamer11

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 07:16:21 AM »
I shoot 275gr. bloodlines out of my vortex and they shoot great and they worked great on my buck this year.. It was around 60 or 70 yards. The bloodlines are very tight in the vortex though and are "fun"  to load

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]