collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Public Land Access Question- River Access  (Read 8102 times)

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
Re: Public Land Access Question- River Access
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 02:35:19 PM »
Sure wish they would in force this with all the wind surfers illeagly crossing tracks to access the Columbia River.

Why? I wish they would leave us alone. If someone has to cross 10ft of railroad to access the columbia river, who cares?
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 02:39:47 PM »
Sure wish they would in force this with all the wind surfers illeagly crossing tracks to access the Columbia River.

Why? I wish they would leave us alone. If someone has to cross 10ft of railroad to access the columbia river, who cares?

The fact that it is trespassing......  Then there is my own agenda to keep the HWY clear of Greenie Cars. :chuckle:  There is plenty of places to safely park and access the river without trespass.
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 02:45:40 PM »
Doesn't there have to be access to public lands by easements? I remember a Tred Barta show where he did some research and got access, Legally between the properties that had locked up access with fences, and hunted behind some homes. Not true in Washington?

Offline HntnFsh

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 03:38:31 PM »

Your only crossing a few feet of Railroad track. But several feet of railroad right of way. Probably 150 ft. or more. The people that care are the families of people that lose loved ones to being hit by a train. And the railroads that lose tons of revenue because of the time the tracks are shutdown for the investigation. I think I read that for a mainline it loses a million dollars an hour for every hour the tracks are shutdown. That was several years ago. I worked for the railroad for almost 20 years. They can be eerily quiet as the move down the rails. Just because you cant see or hear a train. Doesn't mean it isn't coming!

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 02:43:10 AM »
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Rail/TrainSafety.htm

Never trespass or cross tracks illegally. Railroad tracks are private property, not public trails. It's illegal and dangerous to walk on or near tracks unless you're using a designated crossing. It's also illegal and extremely dangerous (and DUMB) to drive around closed crossing gates or to ignore flashing warning lights. Trains travel in both directions on all tracks—so it's impossible to predict which direction a train will approach from.
it may be impossible but I can usually stand at a railroad track and rule out 358 degrees of direction a train will come from. Seriously we are talking about crossing a train track here, really almost the same as crossing a street which people manage to do safely every day in this country, look both ways if it's clear you go

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 04:52:15 AM »
How thousand's of people cross RR tracks in Seattle everyday , ALOT. How many people cross RR tracks in rural America, ALOT.
I'd do it without reservation....
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 06:44:44 AM »
Guess you are willing to take the illegal risk then.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline shootnrun

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2015, 07:28:22 AM »
Those that cannot see past the "illegal" aspect are those that make sure they rock back when stopping at every stop sign, mash the brakes at every light that has just turned yellow, and make sure their blinker is on until they have completed every turn.

I see the point in the ownership of these tracks, but the thought of "trespassing" for walking across a set of tracks along the Columbia or Snake that may be occupied by a train for minutes out of a day seems assenine.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2015, 07:32:30 AM »
It is private property. You can probably cross one of the other three properties without getting run over also.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline sliverthrower

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 08:07:57 AM »
Trespassing is trespassing no matter how foolish a person feels it is. Maybe some of the attitudes expressed are why hunters are getting labeled as lawless irresponsible individuals and why many land owners are closing all access to their lands. Respect an others property and rights. If you disagree with the law step up and contact your legislators and change the law don't just ignore it to suite your own agenda.

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2015, 09:09:08 AM »
How thousand's of people cross RR tracks in Seattle everyday , ALOT. How many people cross RR tracks in rural America, ALOT.
I'd do it without reservation....
:yeah: ive lived around tracks all my life. Crossed them to hit hunting and fishing spots. Ill take the chance. I'm an outlaw :chuckle:
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline heronblu

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2015, 09:29:13 AM »
If you can access the river from a legal spot it is my understanding that below the high water mark on navigable rivers is public property.

Offline Seabass

• Scout
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2015, 09:43:05 AM »
Those that cannot see past the "illegal" aspect are those that make sure they rock back when stopping at every stop sign, mash the brakes at every light that has just turned yellow, and make sure their blinker is on until they have completed every turn.

I see the point in the ownership of these tracks, but the thought of "trespassing" for walking across a set of tracks along the Columbia or Snake that may be occupied by a train for minutes out of a day seems assenine.
It seems assenine because IT IS ASSENINE!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2015, 10:03:23 AM »
Yes, it may be illegal to walk across railroad tracks, but so is driving 56mph when the speed limit is 55.

:twocents:

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 10:57:01 AM »
Yes, it may be illegal to walk across railroad tracks, but so is driving 56mph when the speed limit is 55.

:twocents:

It's a ticket able offense to hold up faster traffic in the left lane also. You think that faster traffic is holding steady @60 mph?!? Nobody cares if you're doing the speed limit. Do it the right lane. :chuckle:
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal