collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Montana Applications are out  (Read 9781 times)

Offline 270Shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Montana Applications are out
« on: January 17, 2009, 05:04:43 PM »
Heres a link to the montana combo license application
http://fwp.mt.gov/content/getItem.aspx?id=36319
They mailed mine to me, but you can just print off this one and mail it in.

Just wanted to let ya'll know. :P

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
Re: Montana Applications are out
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 10:40:08 PM »
THanx 270.  I will be working on my antelope application Monday.  Will use this link.  Sounds like we might be headed to the same part of the state.  Good luck.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 08:34:09 AM »
Hey pathfinder,

I think this app is just for the combo licenses. Elk, Elk/deer, and deer combo. I think antalope licenses will be out later in the year since they aren't due until june 1st. But if your putting in for deer and or elk the deadline is march 15 I think.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 10:12:19 PM »
hmm, thanks.  I'll take a look.  You puttin' in for the combo?
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 08:52:22 AM »
hmm, thanks.  I'll take a look.  You puttin' in for the combo?
Yea I will put in for deer A. And If I don't draw that I will still have time to put in for anatlope ;).

Offline RPM

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 08:19:56 PM »
i got mine in the mail fri. and reading through the regs that come with it. i saw that land owners were only going to get 2 tags to give out. if thats true theres going to be some unhappy people out there this yr.but i might have interpreted wrong. did anyone read that part?

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 08:51:08 PM »
looks like they put a draw odds page out this year. I will be putting in shortly.

Item Type Code - Description           Residency       # Points         # Applied     # Successful     % Successful

BIG GAME COMBO                       NONRESIDENT                            4656              2228                 47.85
 BIG GAME COMBO                       NONRESIDENT         0                 10049             4946                 49.22
 BIG GAME COMBO                       NONRESIDENT         1                 3819               2754                 72.11
 BIG GAME COMBO                       NONRESIDENT         2                  791               657                   83.06
 BIG GAME COMBO                       NONRESIDENT         3                  101                95                    94.06
 BIG GAME COMBO                       NONRESIDENT         4                    22                22                     100
 BIG GAME COMBO                       NONRESIDENT          5                    6                  5                     83.33
TOTAL  BIG GAME COMBO                                                              19444            10707                  55.07

DEER COMBO                             NONRESIDENT                              3103              634                     20.43
 DEER COMBO                             NONRESIDENT           0                 4751              964                     20.29    DEER COMBO                              NONRESIDENT           1                  2336              768                    32.88
DEER COMBO                              NONRESIDENT           2                 1286               585                    45.49  DEER COMBO                              NONRESIDENT           3                  560               338                     60.36  DEER COMBO                              NONRESIDENT           4                  224               146                     65.18  DEER COMBO                              NONRESIDENT           5                    82                59                      71.95  DEER COMBO                              NONRESIDENT           6                    17                13                      76.47  DEER COMBO                              NONRESIDENT           7                     5                  5                       100
TOTAL GENERAL - DEER COMBO                                                       12364            3512                      28.41

ELK COMBO                                NONRESIDENT                                 447               209                      46.76  ELK COMBO                                NONRESIDENT            0                    803               398                     49.56  ELK COMBO                                NONRESIDENT            1                     225              152                     67.56
ELK COMBO                                NONRESIDENT            2                     37                 31                      83.78  ELK COMBO                                NONRESIDENT            3                      2                   2                       100  ELK COMBO                                NONRESIDENT            6                      1                   1                        100
TOTAL  ELK COMBO                                                                          1515                 793                     52.34

Offline 300UltraMagShooter

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 01:36:10 AM »
I have never done one of these before.

How does it work?  Also, do you have to pay th entire amount when you apply?

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 03:04:38 AM »
Dam i better get mine feld out and sent back before its to late! Yes 300ultramag you have to send them the whole amount and if you don't get draw you get all your money back unless you buy a bonus point, then they just take $20 out for the point and send you the rest back! :twocents:
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline Dmanmastertracker

• Frontiersman
    • Flickr Photo Album
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 08:51:46 AM »
 Looks to me like deer apps are also not due until June 1st.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 09:08:52 AM »
Any of the combo applications (Deer A, Elk, Deer-Elk, etc) must be postmarked on or before March 16th.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

• Frontiersman
    • Flickr Photo Album
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 09:37:07 AM »
Any of the combo applications (Deer A, Elk, Deer-Elk, etc) must be postmarked on or before March 16th.

They seem to have some conflicting info on their web site, below taken directly from the site;

Application Deadlines

The following table shows the the Application Deadlines for 2009.
Licenses/Special Permits    Application Deadline    *Approximate Drawing Dates
Bison    TBD    TBD
Black bear - Spring    April 14    NA
Black bear - Fall    **August 31    NA
Crane    July 30    August
Deer, elk, antelope    June 1                            Week of July 21

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 10:00:55 AM »
Thats for the special deer and elk "controlled hunts"  which you can't put in for as a NR unless drawn for the first tag which is due March 15th

• Frontiersman
    • Flickr Photo Album
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 10:11:26 AM »
 Thanks.

Offline tmike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 10:12:10 AM »
Thanks for the reminder. You can also do them online.

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 02:57:43 PM »
Thats for the special deer and elk "controlled hunts"  which you can't put in for as a NR unless drawn for the first tag which is due March 15th
You can put in for points though.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 03:02:26 PM »
correct

Offline Wea300mag

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 06:12:45 PM »
I wish you guys would stop talking about MT, this is the first year in ?? (many) that I'm not applying. :'(
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes on the skyline

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
Sorry man.  First year I have ever applied.  Looked like about a 20% chance for me though (Deer A only), so don't feel too bad, I doubt I'll get drawn...  Hoping my chances are better for antelope..

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 09:51:56 PM »
Sorry man.  First year I have ever applied.  Looked like about a 20% chance for me though (Deer A only), so don't feel too bad, I doubt I'll get drawn...  Hoping my chances are better for antelope..
What lope units?

I drew deer A with 0 points in 07. So it could happen.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 10:08:02 PM »
still doing some research, but I am thinking 481, 491 and ???  Third option is still up for debate...  Draw odds look pretty good for the other 2 though.

Offline Wahoo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 12:55:58 PM »
Does Montana offer a points only system (no chance of drawing a tag)? I am looking to just get a point this year, if I actually drew I would have to eat the tag.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 01:02:22 PM »
You have to put in as a NR for the drawing in order to accrue a point.

Offline huntncoug

• Hunter
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 05:17:48 PM »
Just got my landowner permits in the mail the other day.  My grandpa has a  big ranch around Colstrip.  There are 3 cookie cutter 26" 5x5's in every field during the rut.  Shouldnt be too much of a problem getting a 30"

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 05:25:01 PM »
Im mailing mine tommorow.

Please let me draw :llam:

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 05:29:47 PM »
Mailed mine last week.  Put in for New Mexico Elk today.  No points anywhere but Washington, so I am being the optimist...  Might buy a point for WY.  I figured I'd better start applying places and building points and karma...

Offline Jackjr

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 07:41:24 PM »
put in online last nite.  First year, maybe I will have beginners luck :dunno:

Offline bowhuntin

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 08:20:31 PM »
Put in for the big game combo the other day. I am hoping I get lucky and draw my first year also.

Does anybody know if you can buy archery tags over the counter or do you have to draw the big game combo first then get your bow and arrow stamp?

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 08:24:07 PM »
I just want to apply for my archery antelope 900 tag and buy an extra point what do I have to do? Can I buy more than one extra point? Is it worth it in terms of draw odds  :dunno: The only thing I've figured out is that I don't have to do it until the 1st of June. Besides that I'm clueless.

If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline Elkstuffer

• ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Facebook.com/allthatswildtaxidermy
    • All That's Wild Taxidermy
  • Groups: WWSF, NWTF, RMEF, DU, SCI, MDF
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009, 08:33:42 PM »
Put in for the big game combo the other day. I am hoping I get lucky and draw my first year also.

Does anybody know if you can buy archery tags over the counter or do you have to draw the big game combo first then get your bow and arrow stamp?

Wait till you draw. Why spend the money if you can't use it.
Serving Central Washington and the Northwest for all of your taxidermy needs since 1999.

ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
960 Dilley Road
Tieton, WA 98947
(509)673-1579

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it."     Fred Bear

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2009, 08:40:49 PM »

Wait until you draw. If successful you need to prove capable of archery hunting. You can do this by sending them your previous year Washington archery license, take their archery training class in Montana or wait until you head over for your hunt and show the dealer your Washington archery license from the previous year while on your way to your hunt location.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2009, 11:18:44 PM »
I just want to apply for my archery antelope 900 tag and buy an extra point what do I have to do? Can I buy more than one extra point? Is it worth it in terms of draw odds  :dunno: The only thing I've figured out is that I don't have to do it until the 1st of June. Besides that I'm clueless.

I think you can only buy the one extra point.  As I understand it though, there are landowner sponsored hunting opportunities, so maybe this year I am going to start hanging out in bars and buying drinks for anyone that looks like they own land.  If i were single I'd be buying drinks for ugly Montana girls with big pickup trucks... :chuckle:

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 12:57:38 AM »
I am going to start hanging out in bars and buying drinks for anyone that looks like they own land.

LOL, we met a guy last year at a bar in Montana that has several acres across the border in Wyoming, he told us he had whitetail everywhere and we could come take as many as we wanted. May have to get a Wyoming tag next year ;)
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline buckhorn2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 04:16:37 PM »
Montana has a lot of block management hunting areas. When you send in for the block management for the hunting district they will send you all of the ranches and what the ranch has on it to hunt like elk mule deer whitetail deer antelope upland game and tell you if it;s walk in or drive desegnated roads and how many acres the ranch is and  if they let you sign up at the gates or some only let so many hunters in a day and you have to call to make an appointment to hunt. They give you a map that shows where  the ranches are located and what land is state land or BLM and so you can find a place to hunt. It;s good for out of state hunters so until they have made friends with someone and found a place to hunt they still will have a place to hunt until they find a place. If you draw get a block management pampllet they are nice to look at and give you an idea what kind of animals are in the area you are thinking about going.

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 04:17:52 PM »
I just checked today, They have my application in the pending category. Which means I filled the application out correctly. :IBCOOL:

Now I just need to draw it. 8)

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 04:41:06 PM »
mine too... I checked yesterday.  Montana's website is so much more common sense than ours.  Easy to find stuff.
 waiting with bated breath...

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 12:51:23 PM »
Nothing yet guys, hang in there.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal