collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Losing birds  (Read 18720 times)

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
Re: Losing birds
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2015, 07:46:07 PM »
I always use a 20 ga on pheasant and quail and I run fiochi golden pheasant 3" #5's in 1-1/4 oz load.  In steel required areas I use 3's and 4's in 3" 7/8 oz loads.  They work great for me.
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline scottr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2015, 09:18:07 PM »

Thanks everyone. I will get some 5 or 6 and report back.. too bad I bought a whole case of 7's! So used to shooting skeet that I figured I would need that many shells.

Any quail hunters looking for some non-toxic? real cheap! pm me  20 gauge  2 3/4

I'm interested. Where are you located?

Offline UplandJoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2015, 08:29:55 PM »
So a fun little anecdote while we wait:

It is impossible to find 20 gauge steel 2 3/4 shot below 7 in the puget sound region...While I wait for Cabelas to deliver the hevimetal I ordered, I went out to a release site with my before mentioned dove shot.

Bruno, my GSP, is improving immensely: He is starting to understand why we are out in the field and what we are after, getting birdy and methodical. He goes on point(!) Lucy, my GSP/lab running amok accidentally(?) flushes the bird. I knocked it down and both dogs are on it, still no retrieval but on it nonetheless.

At this point, with my weak shot I am used to ringing the birds neck. I put it in my game pocket in my vest and walk to meet a friend. after we meet up I keep thinking I am hearing a soft cluck. pay no attention..

10 minutes later while working a line of corn the little *censored* jumps out of my vest and takes off running! (luckily my friend is on the other side of the corn and can't see this)

I almost think about shooting it again but can't bring myself to shooting a bird on the ground. After a good chase I catch up with it. make it real dead this time and thats the end of that.

Shot comes tomorrow..

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2015, 07:59:40 AM »

It is impossible to find 20 gauge steel 2 3/4 shot below 7 in the puget sound region...While I wait for Cabelas to deliver the hevimetal I ordered, I went out to a release site with my before mentioned dove shot.

Bruno, my GSP, is improving immensely: He is starting to understand why we are out in the field and what we are after, getting birdy and methodical. He goes on point(!) Lucy, my GSP/lab running amok accidentally(?) flushes the bird. I knocked it down and both dogs are on it, still no retrieval but on it nonetheless.

At this point, with my weak shot I am used to ringing the birds neck. I put it in my game pocket in my vest and walk to meet a friend. after we meet up I keep thinking I am hearing a soft cluck. pay no attention..

10 minutes later while working a line of corn the little *censored* jumps out of my vest and takes off running! (luckily my friend is on the other side of the corn and can't see this)

I almost think about shooting it again but can't bring myself to shooting a bird on the ground. After a good chase I catch up with it. make it real dead this time and thats the end of that.

Shot comes tomorrow..
That's funny!
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2015, 08:03:08 AM »

Shot comes tomorrow..
That's funny!

Just glad to hear my Britt aint the only bird dog that doesn't retrieve!

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2015, 08:08:15 AM »

Shot comes tomorrow..
That's funny!

Just glad to hear my Britt aint the only bird dog that doesn't retrieve!
That doesn't have to be a permanent conditition. My first Brit was a natural retriever. My 2nd wanted nothing to do with it. Then we trained him to retrieve. Way more fun to hunt over now.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2015, 08:20:16 AM »
I might have to pick your brain on that one.  I just can't seem to get him to want to put the darn thing in his mouth.

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2015, 08:26:58 AM »
Pm me if you want to discuss. It's not an overnight session for sure. I think it was several months of working nearly daily (short, consistent sessions are better than long, weekly ones). All started by forcing him (no pain needed) to hold a bumper in his mouth. Proceeded to walking w/ bumper, picking it up, then going farther to pick up and so on.  Birds (of gradually larger and different scents) came later.
― Groucho Marx

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal