collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Early Archery Elk Season...?  (Read 13187 times)

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: New Early Archery Elk Season...?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 03:21:54 PM »
LOVED IT

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 08:54:09 AM »
I liked it despite the drought and unusual conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline huntingbaldguy

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 02:19:30 AM »
Opening day i ran into muzzy hunters scouting too.  And lazy quad people ruining every possibility for elk coming out to stretch their legs.  Then of course i got an opportunity by complete chance and blew it, but hey, it is what it is.  First archery season, so nothing to really compare it to here.

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 06:27:14 AM »
Better season than before.  The starting date makes it tough.  We need a season like Idaho 30 days straight.  Spread the guys out.  With all the permits the land we hunt was packed.  All new guys to the area.  They all said it was first year there and they had all come from permit areas. Super crowded.  Last year for a archery elk camp in WA for me.  Just too much effort and too little opportunities.  Same effort applied in better states and oppurunity will be plenty.

Offline motg9_6

• These animals are gods gift first before government's possessions. If it is illegal for a man to fend for himself then he can not be a man in his own right!
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2015, 06:28:46 AM »
definetly cooler fires played a huge part as already stated but I scored good this years as well as a couple buddies! not talking as much as i would have hoped tho

Offline snarkybull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2015, 08:35:48 AM »
I am glad that the 12th is the latest starting date possible on the new regime.  I really prefer somewhere around the 8th.  Next year is the 10th, and I'm happy with that.   Sep. 2 last year was miserable and hot, so this is better.
How long til elk season?!??

Offline cle elum bowhunter

• Scout
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2015, 09:26:54 AM »
Got my elk third day of the season.  Cool that entire day with even a few snow flakes falling around lunch time.  No yellow jackets or flies which was fantastic.  Better than the earlier opener but seemed like a lot more people in the woods this season.  Bugling was dependent on which drainage we were in.  The further down in we dropped from the roads, the better the activity got but that would be expected.
IAFF Local 2898
Hoyt Turbohawk

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 07:18:31 AM »
This year has been unseasonably warm.  I have had yellow jackets into late October this year.  I was in the lowlands, but late October isn't right to still be 70. 

Offline hoof rot

• Hunter
  • everything tastes better on the wetside
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2015, 12:53:16 PM »
I liked it and was successful, just wish archery deer was the same dates so the deer hunters wouldn't push out the elk before season, but u cant have it all.....

Offline ouchfoss

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2015, 11:13:13 PM »
I liked the later opening date this year but its hard to gauge whether it was better than other years. Not sure how the weather was else where but locally this was the rainiest and wettest early archery that I can ever remember. Made stalking thru the woods much easier but bugling for locating bulls was almost impossible for at least 8 of the days because you couldnt hear anything over the rain. Not sure how the opening date might play into it but bulls were not talking here either. I heard two bugles all season that were for sure from a bull. Called in and bugled back with several other hunters though.  :bash: And that brings up the other difference for this season. Far more people in the woods than I have seen in probably 15 years at least. Thats not to say that elk werent getting tagged though. My friends camp of 4 guys notched all their tags by the end of the first week. I didnt do as well. I tried some new areas that were showing many bulls on trail cams the first week of September but when season started they seemed to vanish. I called in one dink 4x4 in the heavy rains one day and screwed up my only chance for a shot. I really like the later opening date and hopefully the weather will be more normal and drier for me to take advantage of next year.

Offline BABackcountryBwhntr

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA,CCA,RMEF,WSA,NFAA....
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2015, 01:17:16 PM »
it was fine, oddly enough it was my first year in a while not shooting a bull, my issue is the length.. not the start date.... oregon gets a month, idaho gets a month.. we get 12 days..... ill gladly trade late cow hunts for a long early season.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal