collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wounded Buck run off by drone.  (Read 16804 times)

Offline krout81

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Wounded Buck run off by drone.
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2015, 08:12:58 AM »
I have the gamo 22cal/shotgun break barrel and I bought many many rounds so I would love to test them on a drone if one comes by my yard.
Flinging Arrows with Thunderhead 125's since 1992 
Why Change now?

Offline Chappy84

• Tracker
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2015, 08:17:10 AM »
Are you saying that the flyer of the drone did this on purpose? As in, he knew you had just shot a buck and flew over your buck with some sort of intention.

I'm just asking because it sounds like that's what you are saying. Isn't it more likely that some dude was flying his toy and you both happened to be in the same area at the same time?

I am saying in no uncertain terms that he heard the shot and sent in his toy to:
1. See what we shot.
2. Find a proven hunting area.
3. Annoy us out of the area.

FACT He launched it after the shot.
FACT He buzzed the deer and us.
FACT He buzzed straight toward our location.

Who plays with their toys in the wanaha wilderness during hunting season? regardless of the dudes intentions the act remains shady at best. Do your scouting the old fashioned way and get off your backside. It's small acts of stupidity like this that harden hunters toward other people and cause a break in the brotherhood. Just bad ethics. 

Offline GBoyd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2015, 08:50:48 AM »
Use of drones for scouting and hunting was specifically banned in the Oregon game regs for the first time this season. For me, it's a no brainer that we shouldn't have these things buzzing around during the season trying to locate deer. It's just another thing to amp up the intensity of pressure on animals and make us all spend more money to stay competitive with other hunters.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2015, 08:54:40 AM »
I feel like I heard this story today. :chuckle: That sucks man. It would have been awesome if you could have shot that thing out of the air. I would have loved to see the guys face who was flying it.

On another note they are talking about having a drone registration. Similar to putting tail numbers on plains. There have been cases of drones being used to make drops into prisons and also spy on people in there houses and yards. The registered drones would be able to be tracked to the owner. I for one hope that this actually happens. I am 10,000,000,000,000 more on board for drone registration than firearm registration.

There is a guy with a drone in my neighborhood. He has flown it over my house a few times. I told my wife if it looks like he is filming our girls I'm going to shoot that sucker out of the air! The thought of perverts using this to film children is awful but it is a very really threat in todays society.
Yeah no skin off your nose if they take away my sport. You sound like a person who has no clue about gun registration who doesn't have a problem with taking your guns.

This response makes my head hurt..... :dunno:

That said, No I am not at all for gun registration. Well, until they figure out how to pilot a gun and fly it over my back yard to take pictures of my family. I live under the airport flyway. I have planes fly over my house every day without worry of being spied on. If say, a helicopter was to fly over my house and hover there I would not be happy with that either. I could however catch a tail number and file a complaint.

I seriously doubt that your RC plane is used for filming. However, if it is I would also shoot it from the sky if it was to be dive bombing my back yard while my children were outside. So, I am an equal opportunity personal spy craft assassin.

Before you go all high and mighty and make assumptions about me you should know that I not only have used a drone my filming group owns one and uses it quite regularly. I would expect to see it shot down if I was using it in the manner the OP described and or the manner in which I was describing. I am not against them. Not at all. It is all in how they are used. If a person chooses to use them inappropriately there should be some system in place to hold them accountable. It's not like a pilot of a real aircraft can just crash the plane and slip away into the shadows after nefarious activity. So neither should the drone pilot.   
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline Seabass

• Scout
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2015, 09:47:04 AM »
Are you saying that the flyer of the drone did this on purpose? As in, he knew you had just shot a buck and flew over your buck with some sort of intention.

I'm just asking because it sounds like that's what you are saying. Isn't it more likely that some dude was flying his toy and you both happened to be in the same area at the same time?

I am saying in no uncertain terms that he heard the shot and sent in his toy to:
1. See what we shot.

Who plays with their toys in the wanaha wilderness during hunting season? regardless of the dudes intentions the act remains shady at best. Do your scouting the old fashioned way and get off your backside. It's small acts of stupidity like this that harden hunters toward other people and cause a break in the brotherhood. Just bad ethics.

You are assuming a lot!

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2015, 10:01:24 AM »
Yeah no skin off your nose if they take away my sport. You sound like a person who has no clue about gun registration who doesn't have a problem with taking your guns.

The salient difference is that there is an explicit Constitutional protection of gun ownership and prohibition of infringements and there is no such protection afforded to the ability to fly a drone over my back yard and complain when I blast it out of the sky  :hello:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2015, 10:15:22 AM »
I feel like I heard this story today. :chuckle: That sucks man. It would have been awesome if you could have shot that thing out of the air. I would have loved to see the guys face who was flying it.

On another note they are talking about having a drone registration. Similar to putting tail numbers on plains. There have been cases of drones being used to make drops into prisons and also spy on people in there houses and yards. The registered drones would be able to be tracked to the owner. I for one hope that this actually happens. I am 10,000,000,000,000 more on board for drone registration than firearm registration.

There is a guy with a drone in my neighborhood. He has flown it over my house a few times. I told my wife if it looks like he is filming our girls I'm going to shoot that sucker out of the air! The thought of perverts using this to film children is awful but it is a very really threat in todays society.

There was a news story o a guy I think in Texas that was arrested for shooting one down in his back yard.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/man-shoots-neighbors-drone_55bf8127e4b0d4f33a034e31

That case was fully dismissed along with the charges for unlawful discharge of a firearm inside city limits.  Keep in mind Texas IS NOT Washington, I fear you'd hang in this state for doing the same.

Offline bradslam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2015, 10:23:04 AM »
In my opinion, drones should absolutely be banned for hunting purposes.  Technology used in hunting is already advancing to the point where it is hard to defend against non-hunters perceptions of us.  I can't imagine what they would think of hunters flying drones around to locate game.  Remember, someday it could come down to some initiative put on the ballot by an anti-hunting group.

On a side note, earlier this month my wife and I hiked up to Blue Lake in the North Cascades.  Part way up the trail we start hearing a loud obnoxious buzzing noise.  At first we couldn't think of what if was, but then several different people who were on their way down the trail complained of an a**hole up at the lake flying a drone.  When we arrived at the lake, there was a couple, probably in their sixties, flying a very loud drone over the lake.  What followed was contentious discussion between us where it was obvious that the man didn't really give a damn about ruining anybody else's wilderness experience.  In his opinion, it was legal so tough s**t! In my opinion, he was a selfish SOB. 

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2015, 10:24:09 AM »
In my opinion, drones should absolutely be banned for hunting purposes.  Technology used in hunting is already advancing to the point where it is hard to defend against non-hunters perceptions of us.  I can't imagine what they would think of hunters flying drones around to locate game.  Remember, someday it could come down to some initiative put on the ballot by an anti-hunting group.

Imagine them wording the initiative in a way that also bans trail cameras, too  :o

Offline bradslam

• Longhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2015, 10:26:35 AM »
It is a fine line, but I would say that drones are way over it.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2015, 10:37:17 AM »
I would agree with a ban on hunting within 24 hours of any airborne activity photo/video by any aircraft or device and flying in person with an exemption for commercial flight in a large passenger jet designed to fly a high altitude.  Hunter harassment laws are already in place and don't stipulate the method of harassment.

I think in your case I'd have tried to notify WDFW and pushed the angle of hunter harassment.  Out in the woods it should be a lot easier to spot the operator of the "drone" than in an urban area.

Offline ArcherTL

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2015, 10:38:06 AM »
I think any public land they is open of recreation to include hunting should be open to flying of rc aircraft. (Which includes quadcopters aka "drones"). A law should be put inplace to restrict the usage of rc aircraft around power lines, airports, railroad yards, roadways and freeways. I agree with Jackalope that the harassment of wildlife law is sufficient to outlaw that kind of behavior around wildlife.

Washington should also allow the use of leashed tracking dogs for retrieval of wounded game which 38 other states allow. However that is an unrelated issue.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2015, 12:28:10 PM »

Washington should also allow the use of leashed tracking dogs for retrieval of wounded game which 38 other states allow. However that is an unrelated issue.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline westsidehntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2015, 12:33:52 PM »

On a side note, earlier this month my wife and I hiked up to Blue Lake in the North Cascades.  Part way up the trail we start hearing a loud obnoxious buzzing noise.  At first we couldn't think of what if was, but then several different people who were on their way down the trail complained of an a**hole up at the lake flying a drone.  When we arrived at the lake, there was a couple, probably in their sixties, flying a very loud drone over the lake.  What followed was contentious discussion between us where it was obvious that the man didn't really give a damn about ruining anybody else's wilderness experience.  In his opinion, it was legal so tough s**t! In my opinion, he was a selfish SOB.
In his opinion, you probably were  :dunno:

Offline Chappy84

• Tracker
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2015, 12:55:23 PM »

1. See what we shot.

You are assuming a lot!
Was it you flying your toy up in the wenaha seabass? How was I supposed to assume any other motive? I spent the week in relative solitude up until that point so please fill me in here. Do you have more to add?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]