collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Oregon to recommend delisting  (Read 2908 times)

Offline stocmamu

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Oregon to recommend delisting
« on: October 29, 2015, 01:23:34 PM »
Good news!  The real question is will there be a season this winter?

ODFW recommends delisting gray wolf from state ESA throughout Oregon
Commission to consider at Nov. 9 meeting in Salem
October 29, 2015
SALEM, Ore.—ODFW staff believe gray wolves have met the criteria to be delisted from the state Endangered Species Act (ESA) and will recommend this action to the Fish and Wildlife Commission at their Nov. 9 meeting in Salem.
The meeting begins at 8 a.m. at ODFW Headquarters, 4034 Fairview Industrial Drive SE, Salem. It is open to the public and public testimony will be accepted during the meeting. Consideration of wolf delisting is the only item on the agenda. Written comments will also be accepted until Friday Nov. 6 at 5 p.m. and can be sent to odfw.commission@state.or.us More information about the meeting is available at http://www.dfw.state.or.us/agency/commission/minutes/15/11_november/index.asp
Wolf management in Oregon is guided by the Wolf Plan, which was originally crafted in 2005 by a broad group of stakeholders balancing competing interests. The Plan called for initiating a process to consider delisting wolves from the state ESA when eastern Oregon had a population of four breeding pairs of wolves for three consecutive years, an objective met in January 2015.
State ESA law gives the Fish and Wildlife Commission authority to list and remove species from the Endangered Species List. It requires them to look at five factors when considering delisting:
•   Species not now in danger of extinction in any significant portion of its range.
•   Natural reproductive potential not in danger of failure.
•   Populations are not undergoing imminent or active deterioration of range or habitat.
•   Over-utilization of the species is not occurring.
•   Adequate protection programs exist to protect the species and its habitat in the future.
ODFW’s looks at these five factors in depth and finds sufficient biological information to justify a delisting.
•   Wolves are represented over a large geographic area of Oregon, are connected to other populations, and nothing is preventing them from occupying additional portions of Oregon.
•   The wolf population is projected to continue to increase. The overall probability of extinction is very low and genetic variation is high.
•   Wolf habitat in Oregon is stable and wolf range is expanding.
•   Over-utilization of wolves is unlikely as the Wolf Plan continues to provide protections for wolves and any commercial, recreational or scientific take in the future is regulated by the Commission.
•   The Wolf Plan ensures protection of wolves in the future, regardless of ESA status.
“The state’s Wolf Plan adopted in 2005 was an agreement between stakeholders reached after one of ODFW’s largest public processes,” said Russ Morgan, ODFW wolf coordinator. “The Plan called for delisting consideration after wolves reached a minimum conservation threshold and envisions wolves being delisted as Oregon moves into future phases of management.”
“Delisting would result in no immediate changes to wolf management in Oregon. Wolf management is guided by the Wolf Plan and its associated technical rules, not the species’ ESA listing status,” added Morgan. “But delisting allows the Plan to continue to work into the future.”

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Oregon to recommend delisting
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 01:27:54 PM »
If only this would have influence on WA. It won't though. OR hasn't caved to the animal rights wackos the way WA has.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 12:11:30 PM »
Good to here!!!!! :tup:  Hopefully WA won't be to far behind??????
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 01:37:30 PM »
Good to here!!!!! :tup:  Hopefully WA won't be to far behind??????

Apparently, YOU have a dream, too!
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Mark251

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 05:26:07 PM »

Good to hear!!!!! :tup:  Hopefully WA won't be to far behind??????

:yeah:

Offline Tree Killer

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NWTF, NRA, OHA
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 08:00:56 PM »
Oregon Wildlife Commissioners Drop Wolves' Endangered Status
by Tony Schick OPB/EarthFix | Nov. 9, 2015 7:15 p.m. | Salem, Oregon
 May 25, 2014 file photo of a 100-pound adult male wolf in the Mt. Emily unit.
May 25, 2014 file photo of a 100-pound adult male wolf in the Mt. Emily unit.

Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife/Flickr
Oregon’s Fish and Wildlife Commission voted Monday to remove wolves from the state’s list of endangered species.

The decision changes little in the short term for Oregon’s known population of 81 gray wolves. A state management plan would continue to permit killing wolves only if they’re caught in the act of attacking or involved in repeated livestock damage.

The vote followed a day-long public hearing that kept the commission in session until early evening. It clears the way for a decision in the future to allow controlled wolf hunts, should the predator’s population continue to grow. The maximum penalty for illegally killing a wolf, $6,250 and a year in prison, remains unchanged.

Wolf hunting would be allowed for wolves that chronically attack livestock or deer and elk populations. Special permits would be required for those who take part in such hunts. Such a scenario is years away, however, when Oregon has seven breeding pairs for three consecutive years.

The commission considered removing endangered-species status for wolves only in the eastern portion of the state, where most of the population lives. But some commissioners balked because of concerns that it would be challenged in court.

“I think the wolves in Oregon are going to be fine,” Commissioner Bruce Buckmaster said. “I am concerned about the wolf program, and losing Oregonians’ commitment to that program.”

Commissioners said they plan to ask the Oregon Legislature for rules that allow a partial or statewide delisting.

Commissioner Michael Finley is a former superintendent of Yellowstone National Park, where wolves were reintroduced in the 1990s. He said the commission should operate with a “scalpel rather than a sledgehammer” in these decisions.

“The science supported both — partial as well as a statewide delisting,” Department of Fish and Wildlife Director Curt Melcher said. “We don’t ever recommend the commission take actions that are not allowed for in statute.”

Nearly 200 people crowded the hearing room for the commission’s decision on wolves. About half of them testified in a day-long process punctuated with applause, tears and angry yells from hunters and ranchers who want fewer protections for wolves and wildlife advocates and environmentalists who argue the animal is not ready for delisting.

Kevin Noel from Oregon City told the commission only ranchers and hunters’ opinions should be considered in the decision.

“Until you’ve witnessed these animals ripping an animal apart, heard their screams, and seen the carnage and what they can do, you have no idea,” Noel said.

Ellen Marmon from Eugene said her family raised sheep. She knows what it’s like to lose animals to predators, she said. But she’s also an environmentalist and wants to keep wolves on the endangered species list.

“We were raised to absolutely cherish this wilderness,” Marmon said. “So I’ve watched in awe and wonder the return of wolves to this state.”

Environmental groups argued the number of wolves in the state, and the percent of potential range they currently occupy, is too low to consider removing endangered species status.

They said they would consider suing the state to reverse the commission’s decision.

Among their arguments was the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife’s analysis of the state’s wolf population. They claimed its scientific review was too last-minute and too reliant on scientists chosen by the agency. They cited the fact that many independent scientists have questioned the decision.

“Soliciting review from a few self-selected scientists in the final few weeks of this process to check a peer review legal box is wildly inappropriate,” Cascadia Wildlands Legal Director Nick Cady said.

The scientists who reviewed the state’s analysis were largely approving of its methods.

State Wildlife Research Project Manager Darren A. Clark told the commission that his agency’s analysis was conservative, and that some may quibble with pieces of the results but, “In the grand scheme of things, that’s not going to change the fact that wolves are an increasing population and not at risk of extinction.”

Commission members and advocates for delisting the wolf questioned whether environmental groups were reneging on a wolf plan to which they previously agreed.
"if you rattle, they will come"
"Stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline Scuffy

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 09:01:43 PM »
Please let Washington delist and set up a season. Two years ago I had my cross hairs on a wolf until I realized it was a grey wolf and held off on squeezing the trigger. This deer season I was following a pair of wolf tracks until I looked to my right and saw a 200+ pound black wolf and another 150 pound black wolf 30 feet away. They took off and I have never seen anything move that fast in my life, but they crossed in front of me again and passed perfectly broadside at a slow trot. Washington has now cost me 3 wolf mounts.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]