collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Small boat and big waves  (Read 4883 times)

Offline Bennick16

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Small boat and big waves
« on: October 30, 2015, 07:18:57 PM »
 I want to head out to potholes reservoir tomorrow to do some duckhunting but I have a 15 foot deep V hull boat and the wind is supposed to be gusting to 35 miles an hour.  I would like to know if anyone has experience on boating in such high winds and if they think it is doable or if I should try and find a spot to jump shoot.  I have a half mile of open water to get through before I can get back into that protected area  I will be duckhunting. Thanks!
Nick

Ducks are not hard to hit, they are just easy to miss.

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
Re: Small boat and big waves
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 07:22:46 PM »
 I would not go if you are concerned at all. Your life and others are worth more than a few ducks. Go jump shooting, wait for a nicer day and have fun!!

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 07:26:04 PM »
The fact that you're asking means you are questioning. Don't go. Questioning and hesitation will kill you on the water. Walk in the dunes and find the birds the wind is pushing off the big water.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Bennick16

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 07:32:31 PM »
I'm only asking because I do not know the characteristics of water when the wind gets to a certain speed I do not know if I should be concerned or not because I have never gone on a boat when it was very windy. It is not that I am second-guessing myself I am just looking for somebody who has experience with what happens through the water when the wind picks up the 35 miles an hour
Nick

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 07:37:09 PM »
I have seen Sprague lake with 3 footer's on it. Just hugged the bank back to the launch. With all the gear, a dawg, buddy and if your wearing chest wader's perhaps not the best idea. I was already set up when the wind came up so I had no choice.

Along with that on Sprague had my buddy bail over the side of the back with the bow on the beach he filled his waders and we had to cut the straps when they filled with water.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 07:38:42 PM »
Been in some big lake water in my time. You have the gear and confidence in your abilities go for it. When in doubt hunker down then put the bow to the waves and work through it.

Offline bowhunterwa87

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 07:55:31 PM »
Dont do it. The waves really load up there and its deff not worth it. I wont even take my 12' there walleye fishing if its over 12mph.

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 08:16:13 PM »
Go jump shooting, it is not worth it. Especially if you have not driven boats in rough water with a heavy wind.

I spend over 120 days a year every year driving boats since I was 17 years old, now 52 and a small boat loaded to hunt ducks in big water with a 35mph wind is a bad combination, even with lots of experience. It only takes one bad rogue wave to turn you around and sink.

Offline Sliverslinger

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 08:58:08 PM »
Please don't risk it in those winds. It's not the same as what you're talking about, but I was on a boat once and the situation was questionable because of how bad the wind got. The waves got bigger very quickly and eventually capsized the boat as we went over a bar. I spent all night in the ocean fighting to stay alive. 3 of us went in and only two came out. Both of us who made it were extremely hypothermic and suffered from severe rhabdomyolysis. The guy driving the boat was too confident in his skills and navigation ability. water and wind together can be far more powerful than you would ever think.
SliverSlinger

Offline Bennick16

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 10:31:38 PM »
Wow all these horror stories makes me glad I chose to be a pilot and not a boat captain, thank you everyone for your input
Nick

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 01:11:16 AM »
Go jump shooting, it is not worth it. Especially if you have not driven boats in rough water with a heavy wind.

I spend over 120 days a year every year driving boats since I was 17 years old, now 52 and a small boat loaded to hunt ducks in big water with a 35mph wind is a bad combination, even with lots of experience. It only takes one bad rogue wave to turn you around and sink.

:yeah:

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 03:31:25 AM »
jump shoot,there will be other days to use the boat

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 07:42:56 PM »
I was fishing out of Homer AK and getting tossed around pretty bad in a 26 or 28 foot cuddy charter boat, then I see two native looking dudes in a 16 foot deep V open aluminum boat with a tiller pounding their way out like nothing.

I have a new appreciation for what a little boat can do in the right hands.  I've also been in a loaded boat wallowing around on the waves threatening to capsize at any minute, that isn't fun either.   If your boat was empty I'd say go for it, but if you have a heavy load the boat won't handle right so no way would I do it.  I've got quite a bit of experience on lake Roosevelt with a 16' deep V,  it all depends on how much weight is in the boat and if you have to go into the wind or follow the wind or cut across,  if I can keep it straight into the wind or follow then I'm fine but I hate cutting across straight so I keep a 30 degree cut instead of cutting across at a 90

Worst was when I volunteered to help chaperone a bunch of school kids on a canoe trip on lake Roosevelt in a gusty wind, that sucked, but no one went in the cold april waters. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:50:40 PM by KFhunter »

Offline sakoshooter

• WFW Board of Directors
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Life Memberr NRA, Life Member Sumner Sportsmans Association
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 10:05:47 PM »
I'm only asking because I do not know the characteristics of water when the wind gets to a certain speed I do not know if I should be concerned or not because I have never gone on a boat when it was very windy. It is not that I am second-guessing myself I am just looking for somebody who has experience with what happens through the water when the wind picks up the 35 miles an hour

Most will depend on the wind direction. And where you're gonna launch. Once you're back in the dunes, you're pretty well protected. You can launch from the Job Corp dike in a couple spots and that'll keep you out of the big water. You can also launch by the power lines in Crab Cr below the spillway from Moses. Or you could hunt Lind Coulee.
That being said - Potholes can be bad when it's windy. I've been on it way too many times duck hunting and bass fishing during storms. One thing for sure, those birds are gonna look for protected areas to sit and if you're in one of these, the shootin could be good.
Always wear your life jacket. You never hear news stories about anyone drowning while wearing their life jackets.
Rhinelander, WI
Home of the Hodag

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 10:16:34 PM »
I have been on the Potholes when she turned angry. Waves came up quick, and they were solid 3-5 footers, stacked up close together. Please go jump shoot or launch from the Job Corps side. Be safe!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]