collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: foggy glass  (Read 5748 times)

Offline splitshot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
foggy glass
« on: November 02, 2015, 11:27:47 AM »
  had trouble last weekend keeping my glasses, scope and binos clear of fog.    what do you use?  where do you get it?      thanks,  mike w

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: foggy glass
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 11:32:20 AM »
Inside the lenses fog or outside the lenses fog.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 11:35:35 AM »
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 11:41:37 AM »
If you have fogging on the outside there are a couple of things you can do.... 

Keep your binoculars/spotting scope/rifle/range finder, etc., inside your vehicle at night, don't bring them into a tent or trailer.  They will warm up inside and when you go outside the temp difference will allow them to fog.  You want to keep them the same temp as the outside air if possible.

When you are looking through your binoculars or spotting scope, breath out of you mouth and breath down, away from your lenses.  This will keep the condensation from collecting on your lenses.  I try to hold my breath when it is important. 

Sometimes I like to keep my eyes a ways back from the lenses, the heat from your eyes can make them fog.

Don't use any scope caps (like the Butler Creek ones) on your scope, there will be a temp difference between the outside air and the air trapped in the scope cover.  When you flip open the scope cap, the scope will fog.  Don't use scope caps. 

Next to last, I keep a paper towel in each pocket that I have to wipe the lenses in the rain, fog, etc.

Last, use your finger when you need to.   

Offline splitshot

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 12:06:35 PM »
  it is on the outside.  good glass, anyway it cist enough.  mike w

Offline splitshot

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 12:09:40 PM »
300,  I did all that and thanks for the good advice.     what it is I was asking was what do you put on the glass to lessen foggying.    mike w

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 12:23:56 PM »
I have never found anything that worked well.  Cat Crap, Rain X, car wax,  never worked better then leaving it alone. 

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 04:58:23 PM »
If you have fogging on the outside there are a couple of things you can do.... 

Keep your binoculars/spotting scope/rifle/range finder, etc., inside your vehicle at night, don't bring them into a tent or trailer.  They will warm up inside and when you go outside the temp difference will allow them to fog.  You want to keep them the same temp as the outside air if possible.

When you are looking through your binoculars or spotting scope, breath out of you mouth and breath down, away from your lenses.  This will keep the condensation from collecting on your lenses.  I try to hold my breath when it is important. 

Sometimes I like to keep my eyes a ways back from the lenses, the heat from your eyes can make them fog.

Don't use any scope caps (like the Butler Creek ones) on your scope, there will be a temp difference between the outside air and the air trapped in the scope cover.  When you flip open the scope cap, the scope will fog.  Don't use scope caps. 

Next to last, I keep a paper towel in each pocket that I have to wipe the lenses in the rain, fog, etc.

Last, use your finger when you need to.
  :yeah: I don't cover any of my lenses. Keep paper towels in zip lock bag. I look through the rain drops.
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline aorams

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 10:44:44 PM »
This is what I've been using because the technicians at Leupold suggested it.  The more you apply it, the better it works.  I clean my optics at the end of every day and re-apply this stuff and have had great luck.  I try to wipe the glass as little as possible in the field and keep it uncovered throughout the day.

http://www.kleervu.com/shop/2oz-anti-fog-cleaner/

Offline splitshot

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 06:01:24 AM »
   do you know if it is sold in tricities or Spokane?  the stuff sounds good and I will give it a try.  thanks,    mike w

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 06:12:45 AM »
This is what I've been using because the technicians at Leupold suggested it.  The more you apply it, the better it works.  I clean my optics at the end of every day and re-apply this stuff and have had great luck.  I try to wipe the glass as little as possible in the field and keep it uncovered throughout the day.

http://www.kleervu.com/shop/2oz-anti-fog-cleaner/

Yep i have a couple bottles. Got it at the Sportsman Show last year.

I also like cat crap.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 07:42:55 AM »
Do not use paper towels to wipe any quality optics.
I won't even use them on sunglasses.
Get a lenspen that has a brush on one end to remove dust (eastern WA volcanic soil is actually fine grit and does a great job of scratching glass surfaces) and carry a microfiber wipe (many sunglasses include a microfiber bag to be used as a wipe).
If you invest in good glass, take proper care of it.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 01:16:31 PM »
Get a lenspen that has a brush on one end to remove dust (eastern WA volcanic soil is actually fine grit and does a great job of scratching glass surfaces) and carry a microfiber wipe (many sunglasses include a microfiber bag to be used as a wipe).

:yeah:

Oh my God yea, don't use anything like a paper towel on coated optical lenses.  Lens pen and a microfiber wipe for me. 

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 02:27:32 PM »
Since I don't have a cat, I followed my neighbors cat around for an hour, till finally, I picked up some of that magical anti fog material that the cat dispenses.  Boy does it smell bad, but no fogging problems for me! :chuckle:

Offline Turner89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 07:40:46 PM »
I know your right, but thats how I roll. :chuckle:
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 07:48:34 PM »
I know your right, but thats how I roll. :chuckle:

I use Butler Creek covers so normally don't need to dry off my scope's lenses. But if it's really wet, sometimes it's needed, especially when an animal is spotted and the covers are flipped open to be ready for a shot. I don't think it hurts much to dry the lenses with whatever you have. I usually use toilet paper. But I don't wipe vigorously, just lightly dab the lenses. I've never scratched my scope doing that.

Offline Turner89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 08:00:47 PM »
I do the same Bobcat :tup:. Also I'm rarely hunting more than 300yards max.  The key for me, is to not play with anyones brand new stuff. That way I don't know what I'm missing :chuckle:. I made the mistake of carrying Gundogrs gun for him while he was dragging his deer out.......mannn his gun was light :chuckle:

Offline aorams

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 09:08:55 AM »
   do you know if it is sold in tricities or Spokane?  the stuff sounds good and I will give it a try.  thanks,    mike w

I buy it on amazon...

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 09:15:10 AM »
I use Badlands Bino cases and keep a lens pen and a microfiber cloth in each.  I never hunt w/o a binocular so it is pretty easy to just be prepared in this way.  The smaller Badlands case does not have a microfiber cloth  permanently attached, like the two larger ones do - I just throw a cloth in the bottom of the case in a small ziplock in that one.   

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]