collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cougar Tips  (Read 138006 times)

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
Cougar Tips
« on: November 10, 2015, 10:58:07 AM »
I'm sure not a ton of people go hunting for just cougars but I was wondering if those who do have any good tips.
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Cougar Tips
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 11:34:17 AM »
I'm sure not a ton of people go hunting for just cougars but I was wondering if those who do have any good tips.

Fresh snow is your best friend.

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 04:24:01 PM »
Showing signs of being a good year for the 4 legged kind! Don't jinx it, but there just might be some tracking snow sooner than later!!!

Call with vocals!

- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline Quarter Pounder

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 05:07:52 PM »
I've got a trail cam soaking on a pile of kibbles and bits.  Can't wait to check out all the photos.  Boo-yeah!!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 05:15:14 PM »

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/audioPop.jsp?episodeId=246630&cmd=apop

I learned a heck of a lot from this broadcast, well worth a listen when you got a spare 30 minutes or so.

It takes patience and time to really understand and put into practice all the information that's in this broadcast.  I called in three lions last year, was busted twice and a 3rd cat I didn't see until it was too late.  I'm just a beginner right now, but I'm seeing the light and getting a grasp on what it takes to call lions routinely, not just stumbling into a successful call but being able to get out there and have a reasonable shot at success.

Most important thing is to call areas that hold lions, then you need to know where to position yourself so you could actually see the dang thing approach, and hold rock still for a solid hour, and not get busted just walking in.  You also want to hide the call so I gave up on decoys all together, opting to hide the call in a natural depression.  The cat will sneak to the call until it can see where the sound is coming from then most of the time just sit and study it, eventually get bored and look around, this is where you get busted so better to have gotten your shot off already.

It really makes calling coyotes child's play I think.   The only real upshot is wind isn't as big of factor as with coyotes, but you can't hold too still for cats, can't emphasize this enough.  I don't think I've been busted by smell alone.  Mostly I'm busted walking in setting up so it's better to scout locations and approaches ahead of time then go in another day to call.

Good luck, the lion numbers are greatly in your favor and I hope that calling lions is demystified, we need to put all of them we can in the dirt.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 05:31:38 PM by KFhunter »

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 05:28:00 PM »
Our cougar depredation guy here in Republic says, the very best time too get a cat is in a snowstorm...
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 05:34:48 PM »
I just seen another one last night, it baled over a bridge.   I should see how far it leapt down maybe it's shattered on the rocks below.

That makes almost a dozen this year.

Offline Hectocotylus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 06:47:53 PM »

I just seen another one last night, it baled over a bridge.   I should see how far it leapt down maybe it's shattered on the rocks below.

That makes almost a dozen this year.
Dang that's a ton of cougars whereabouts are you I would love to see one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 06:52:48 PM »
The NE corner

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 06:59:58 PM »
Showing signs of being a good year for the 4 legged kind! Don't jinx it, but there just might be some tracking snow sooner than later!!!

Call with vocals!

Contact whistle or coug in heat screaming noise??  Do you use the two together, and if so how?

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 10:37:51 PM »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 10:51:56 PM »

Call with vocals!

Contact whistle or coug in heat screaming noise??  Do you use the two together, and if so how?

I called for a lion with distress calls then switched to whistle, the dang thing whistled it's head off at me in return but didn't come in for a shot.
I haven't gotten the lion vocals figured out, so not sure if I was busted or if it was scared to encounter a bigger lion..it kept it's distance I couldn't get an eye on it.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 11:03:25 PM »

Call with vocals!

I called for a lion with distress calls then switched to whistle, the dang thing whistled it's head off at me in return but didn't come in for a shot.
I haven't gotten the lion vocals figured out, so not sure if I was busted or if it was scared to encounter a bigger lion..it kept it's distance I couldn't get an eye on it.

Hmm, maybe in that situation, if somebody could keep the whistles going sporadically, a partner could try to circle downwind of the lion and get a shot.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 11:31:08 PM »

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/audioPop.jsp?episodeId=246630&cmd=apop

I learned a heck of a lot from this broadcast, well worth a listen when you got a spare 30 minutes or so.

It takes patience and time to really understand and put into practice all the information that's in this broadcast.  I called in three lions last year, was busted twice and a 3rd cat I didn't see until it was too late.  I'm just a beginner right now, but I'm seeing the light and getting a grasp on what it takes to call lions routinely, not just stumbling into a successful call but being able to get out there and have a reasonable shot at success.

Most important thing is to call areas that hold lions, then you need to know where to position yourself so you could actually see the dang thing approach, and hold rock still for a solid hour, and not get busted just walking in.  You also want to hide the call so I gave up on decoys all together, opting to hide the call in a natural depression.  The cat will sneak to the call until it can see where the sound is coming from then most of the time just sit and study it, eventually get bored and look around, this is where you get busted so better to have gotten your shot off already.

It really makes calling coyotes child's play I think.   The only real upshot is wind isn't as big of factor as with coyotes, but you can't hold too still for cats, can't emphasize this enough.  I don't think I've been busted by smell alone.  Mostly I'm busted walking in setting up so it's better to scout locations and approaches ahead of time then go in another day to call.

Good luck, the lion numbers are greatly in your favor and I hope that calling lions is demystified, we need to put all of them we can in the dirt.

:yeah:

I've had 2 call ins this year sofar. First one was 3 cats (2young and one adult) all where vocal. Came in threw thick cover never leaving it. Stay very still. I like to call up hill. They like to approach with an advantage and from my experience they won't break cover unless they feel that advantage, ex specially mature cats.  Rainshadows a vocals are great. I've made some of my own too,also learned to use my voice. I like deer or fawn distress mixed with cougar vocals. I prefer submissive vocals and low key.  I want that big tom to feel like he came take what he wants. I also hide the call. Thick brush is a must. I like to set it up so the cat has to come to an opening to get a close look at the call were I can see him. But I also want him to feel like he has the upper hand. DO NOT MOVE!  Decoys are a waste of time, weight,and money.  Need a silent approach threw good cover. Snow is a big help not only for finding cats but for seeing them aswell.  I like having a pistol in my lap while on stand. Do not move! Stay still! Even a glance at the remote can get you busted!  I mark every cougar track I find on gps, every toilet, every scrape, every kill I find. Over time you can see the higher traffic areas and learn we're to call before you get to calling. All year long I'm looking for that one track. If I find tracks in the snow (fresh snow) I'll track till I think I'm close then call, save those tracks on the gps too. Hold still!  Calling cougar is very addictive and not very productive as other predators but IMO more rewarding.  If you live where deer migrate follow the deer cause the cats will too.  Have called them in with elk vocals as well. 

DO NOT MOVE!!
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline MountainTracker

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 09:02:07 AM »
Wow, lots of good info here.  I'm planning on giving this a try this year.  One question for you guys that do this regularly, have you ever tried to climb up into a tree or something to get a little elevation in order to see into the think stuff a little better?  I've had success doing this with coyotes in the thick stuff. I've only been busted once, I believe because my silhouette wasn't broken up enough. The coyote didn't see me until he was 20 yards out, so close enough for a shot.  Just curious if you think this tactic would be effective?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal