collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Apparently Most Gun Owners Actually Support Gun Control  (Read 5089 times)

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Apparently Most Gun Owners Actually Support Gun Control
« on: November 11, 2015, 04:55:54 PM »
I subscribe to a number of ant-gun email lists because I like to keep an eye on the absolute filth these people distribute to their readerships.

This one is MoveOn.org - they're uber-Obama fans.  They reference Washington Post articles almost exclusively for all of their propaganda, and they ask for $ several times in every email message.

They annoy the hell out of me.  Here's the latest:

Dear MoveOn member,

We've developed a breakthrough strategy to destroy the National Rifle Association's credibility in Washington: gun owners committed to fighting for gun control.

You see, the truth is that only a tiny minority of gun owners actually belong to the NRA—and most of them don't even agree with it.1 If the silent majority of gun owners who support gun control speak out, they'll blow the NRA's cover, so we can finally take action to prevent gun violence and save lives—including by helping President Obama issue an executive order this month to close the background check loophole.2

Here's our plan: After the shooting at Umpqua Community College in Oregon last month, MoveOn launched Gun Owners for Gun Control, which now has 32,260 members. Next week, we're bringing 15 of them—thoughtful, experienced, and responsible gun owners, including former NRA members—to Washington, D.C., for meetings with the White House, members of Congress, and the media.

But we still need to raise the money to cover the cost of the gun owner delegation, to take the message they deliver in D.C. and get it out across the country, and then to continue organizing this incredibly powerful group of MoveOn members. Can you chip in $3 to help responsible gun owners stand up to the NRA?

Yes, I'll chip in and help stand up to the NRA.

The NRA says it has 5 million dues-paying members, which may be inflated but still is just between 6 and 7 percent of U.S. gun owners.3 And even many NRA members disagree with the organization on policy. For instance, the NRA opposes requiring background checks for private and gun show sales—the policy President Obama could issue in just a few weeks if he has enough backing—but 74 percent of NRA members support it.4

Starting next week, gun owners who support gun control will no longer be a silent majority—because we're helping them speak out in Washington. This has the potential to be a breakthrough moment if we have the resources to elevate their voices.

Can you chip in $3 now to help stand up to the NRA?

Click here if you can.

David T. from Georgia is one of the 15 gun owners traveling to Washington, D.C., next week. He knows guns. David is a retired Army officer and a two-time All American in rifle shooting. He was a member of the NRA for more than 10 years but resigned his membership "when their agenda turned from promoting gun safety and responsible ownership to one of uncompromising opposition to any kind of gun control."

Rick M. lives in rural Oregon just 20 miles from Thurston High School and about an hour from Umpqua Community College, both sites of horrific mass shootings. He has long owned guns, has a concealed weapons permit, and believes strongly in both his right to own a gun and the need to stop the proliferation of easy access to guns.

These gun owners are ready to speak out—and powerfully so. Will you support them by chipping in $3 or whatever you can?

Click here to chip in and join the fight.

Thanks for all you do.

–Jo, Manny, Erica, Brian, and the rest of the team

Sources:

1. "Most gun owners support restrictions. Why aren't their voices heard?" The Washington Post, October 9, 2015
http://www.moveon.org/r/?r=308148&id=134985-29071723-BR_13yx&t=1

2. "Obama weighs expanding background checks through executive authority," The Washington Post, October 8, 2015
http://www.moveon.org/r/?r=307878&id=134985-29071723-BR_13yx&t=2

3. "Most gun owners don't belong to the NRA—and they don't agree with it either," The Washington Post, October 15, 2015
http://www.moveon.org/r/?r=308149&id=134985-29071723-BR_13yx&t=3

4. Ibid.

Want to support our work? MoveOn member contributions have powered our work together for more than 17 years. Hundreds of thousands of people chip in each year—which is why we're able to be fiercely independent, answering to no individual, corporation, politician, or political party. You can become a monthly donor by clicking here, or chip in a one-time gift here.

I'm actually not a big fan of the NRA. Partially because I feel they abandoned the state of Washington during the fight against I594.  So I won't likely ever be a member of the NRA again.  That said - I certainly don't support gun control on the whole, and would likely oppose any measures this administration suggests for universal background checks on private sales. I'm not against any and all gun related legislation - but I'm against most of it.

Still - the idea that 90% of gun owners in this country are a silent majority that would side with Obama over the NRA... ARE YOU SERIOUS?

The people who read and believe this stuff must be so thick... Ugh.

Offline timberfaller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
Re: Apparently Most Gun Owners Actually Support Gun Control
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 07:45:54 PM »
moveon.org is a George Soros enterprise.  The worlds biggest low life,  kinda tells one WHO and WHAT a person is who signs onto ole George's stuff!!

Bloomberg is NOTHING compared to ole George!!

moveon is nothing more then the Liberals propaganda site!!

The "firearm" owners who vote for any Democrat are really one and the same as those two.  YEP the truth hurts.
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline Possum197

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA GOA
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 05:38:12 AM »
It's true that most gun owners aren't members of NRA but, they damn well better start signing up whether they agree with all NRA says. If we don't all stick together it's going to be over.  :bash:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 06:39:06 AM »
Let's see. Shall we do some math???? Gun Owners for Gun Control has 32K members (supposedly). The NRA has 6 million. There are estimated to be about 90 million gun owners in the US. Which organization actually represents a larger percentage of gun owners? It's close, to be sure. Gun Owners for Gun Control represents .0355% (3/100ths of 1%). The NRA represents 6.7%. So the President, concerned with fairness, invited 15 people who claim to own guns and are pro-gun control.

acnewman55, these people will continue to lie about how many gun owners support gun control. You don't have to belong to the NRA, but I suggest you do. And, support as many other pro-gun rights organizations as you can. I'm an NRA Life Member and that's all they're getting out of me. I also send money to CCRKBA, SAF, NAGR, and GOA. I donate to pro-gun politicians, as well.

"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 06:48:49 AM »
There are better financial investments in your rights than NRA  :twocents:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 06:59:20 AM »
There are better financial investments in your rights than NRA  :twocents:

You going to name them or is this some cryptic message, BC?  :dunno:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 07:30:12 AM »
You named a few of them  :tup:

NRA is pretty much bottom of my list. In fact I think that tossing cash to a think tank like Cato, Heritage, or AEI would be a better investment in ones freedoms and rights than NRA, even though the 2nd Amendment is the only freedom that gives the other one teeth.  :guns:

My biggest financial investment in our rights and freedoms this year is supporting Ted Cruz for president   :IBCOOL:

Offline huntrights

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 07:51:42 AM »
 :twocents:
Every gun owner and others who believe in our rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution should be a member of the NRA.
 :twocents:

It's a personal choice; however, it makes sense to join and support the biggest and most influential organization that continuously defends our Constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

NRA member benefits:
https://membership.nrahq.org/benefits.asp

"The most important benefit of NRA membership, however, is the defense of your Constitutional right to keep and bear arms. NRA-ILA tracks the issues and alerts members about legislation involving firearms and hunting at the federal, state and local levels of government. Successful legislative action begins with you -- the individual member. For information regarding legislative action or to become an ILA grassroots volunteer, call 1-800-392-8683.

If you have questions about your NRA membership, please send e-mail to membership@nrahq.org "

National Rifle Association (NRA)
http://home.nra.org/
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

Other organizations fighting for our hunting and firearm rights and freedoms:
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?topic=123035.msg1625897#msg1625897

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 07:58:02 AM »
NRA is the biggest dog in the fight for gun owners. You may not like everything about the dog, but you want him on your side.

Ask the gun grabbers which organization they dislike the most..
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 08:10:08 AM »
NRA is the biggest dog in the fight for gun owners. You may not like everything about the dog, but you want him on your side.

Ask the gun grabbers which organization they dislike the most..

It's obvious every time they talk about the gun lobby.  :tup:

Offline huntrights

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 08:47:36 AM »
It is important that we join and support organizations that focus on defending the rights that are most important to us as hunters, gun owners, and patriotic Americans.  They are our best chance to fight against the attacks on our rights and freedoms.  Without focus, the efforts would be diluted.  The attacks on our Second Amendment rights are undeniable; that’s why we should join the organizations like the NRA and the Second Amendment Foundation that give us more of a united voice to protect those rights.

Our rights (currently a privilege in Washington) to hunt also come under attack; that is why we should join national and state organizations that fight for those rights:

Sportsmen's Alliance (Formerly U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance)
http://www.sportsmensalliance.org/
http://www.sportsmensalliance.org/about-sportsmens-alliance/

“For nearly four decades, the Sportsmen’s Alliance has fought to protect and advance our outdoor heritage of hunting, fishing, trapping and shooting in all 50 state legislatures, in the courts, in Congress and at the ballot box.  As Sportsmen’s Alliance’s work continues to grow stronger so too has the animal rights movement.”

WASHINGTONIANS FOR WILDLIFE CONSERVATION
http://www.w4wc.org/

“Sportsmen Pledged to Protect our Outdoor Heritage – Strength Through Unity ~ A United Sportsmen’s Voice”

Offline Hi-Liter

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 11:33:13 AM »
Yeah I don't like some of the issues that NRA stands behind, but I belong to them. Throw some money their way. I'm not a life member. I didn't like them bailing out on our state last year with 594. Heck they even gave up on the Clinton gun ban back in the 90's. But, we need them to keep the politics going over in the other Washington. So, I don't force much on other people but you should join even if its for 1 year its only $35.00, you spend that on a dinner.

I think the democrats next move will be to have each state vote on gun control issues.

What amazes me in all the debating is why doesn't anyone ever start to strip the 1st amendment, 4th amendment, 5th amendment, etc. etc. ? The democrats would come unglued.... They want all the protection in the world but they don't want people to have it.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 12:06:37 PM »
Yeah I don't like some of the issues that NRA stands behind, but I belong to them. Throw some money their way. I'm not a life member. I didn't like them bailing out on our state last year with 594. Heck they even gave up on the Clinton gun ban back in the 90's. But, we need them to keep the politics going over in the other Washington. So, I don't force much on other people but you should join even if its for 1 year its only $35.00, you spend that on a dinner.

I think the democrats next move will be to have each state vote on gun control issues.

What amazes me in all the debating is why doesn't anyone ever start to strip the 1st amendment, 4th amendment, 5th amendment, etc. etc. ? The democrats would come unglued.... They want all the protection in the world but they don't want people to have it.

Haven't you been reading the news for the last 10 years? That's exactly what's been happening. Either sweeping legislation, like NY's the SAFE Act, or disguised and flagrantly misrepresented initiatives/laws like I-591. They know they can't get a super majority to get rid of 2A, so they've been taking advantage of liberal courts to disembowel it, piece by piece. And, the courts are siding with them. From magazine limits to background checks, non-lead ammo, ammo registration, stiff concealed carry requirements, actual gun prohibitions of certain dangerous-looking guns (black guns matter!), they're achieving great success in limiting the individual rights on a state-by-state basis.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 12:08:50 PM »
What?? The courts have been the saving grace of the 2A in the past few years!!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 12:12:19 PM »
What?? The courts have been the saving grace of the 2A in the past few years!!

They've ruled in favor of the safe act. So far, they've ruled in favor of I-591. They've ruled in favor of MD's laws, CT's laws and Virginia's laws. There have been only four cases that I can think pro-gun decisions have been made. CPL in San Diego, CPL in Chicago, gun registration in DC, and Heller v. DC.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal