collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bush Craft Field Craft Survivalist thread  (Read 26187 times)

Offline Expedition Scout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Bush Craft Field Craft Survivalist thread
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2015, 05:28:04 PM »
It's time to dry and soften the hide.

If you left the hide to dry right now, it would dry hard like a drum. The brains will preserve the hide, however we want to make it soft. At this point, you need to continue to work until the hide is dry or freeze it until later. If you stop short of a dry hide, any moisture will cause it to stiffen up.  :tup:

I like to do this step in the summer time so it doesn't take forever... or you can use a wood stove in a garage to keep it warm. You need to break the hide as it drys.

Think of leather as a million Olympic rings connected that need to be separated. Breaking the rings apart is what makes it soft and it needs to be dry to stay that way... (If you make it soft and then let it dry it will be stiff. Water helps the rings reconnect). A lot of work for nothing!  :yike:

So -- you can work the hide around a cable, or here is where i like to tie it tight on a rack and work it with a axe handle and canoe paddle. You simple can't mess with the hide enough. When working an elk or moose, I used to invite all the neighborhood kids over and they would use the hide as a trampoline. You need to stretch the hide as much as possible by pushing the axe handle or canoe paddle into the leather as much as possible. Tearing the hide shouldn't happen at this point unless it's a thin hide (Rabbit is very hard to soften without ripping). Keep working the hide, pushing, twisting, running over a cable, or stretching it until you thinks its dry... then do it some more!

You don't want any moisture to ruin this process. Once soft, move on to the last step or make sure it keeps dry. Don't leave around your dog, I know a guy who lost a nice hide because he left it over a chair and the dog found it tasty.
"By God, I are a mountain man, and I'll live 'til an arrow or a bullet finds me. And then I'll leave my bones on this great map of the magnificent"

Offline Expedition Scout

• Scout
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2015, 05:45:30 PM »
OK -- now its time to smoke the hide.

Smoking the hide puts "RESIN" from the wood into the hide and prevents the "Olympic rings" from connecting again if it gets wet. (hopefully that makes sense to everyone. It also can give it a nice color, lighter or darker depending on time and wood used. The resin fills the space inside the leather that you created by breaking it.

You need to use a dry smoke! I worked with a guy that smoked a hide just like you smoke meat using wet wood chips and it came out hard as a rock! What a waste and back to the softening step you go.

I use bone dry and rotten cottonwood. I look for punky wood and bring it home and keep it in my wood shed just for this reason. Punky wood so it doesn't start on fire, just smolders.

Take the hide and sew it together to form a sock, I have a pant leg from a pair of jeans that I sew on the bottom to keep it further away from the heat... we don't want to cook the hide, only apply smoke throughout the skin. I have a round charcoal grill with a smoke stack attached to it that I use. Sitting on the ground the stack sticks up about 4 feet. I hang the hide in a tree and lower the tube until the jean is over the stack. I use charcoal to start the fire inside and apply the rotten cotton wood over the top to keep it smoking good. About 30 mins then flip inside out for consistent color. If color isn't a big deal, then one side is enough. Once you are finished, with the smoke, you should be good to go!

I will leave the hides hang in the garage and let them off gas for a few days or a week to get rid of the heavy smoke smell prior to working further with them. Now if you get them wet or wash them, you might need to soften a little bit to get back to your original condition.

Now you can turn your hard work into something!
"By God, I are a mountain man, and I'll live 'til an arrow or a bullet finds me. And then I'll leave my bones on this great map of the magnificent"

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2015, 05:49:10 PM »
I know this guy will have 3 deer hides next week I foresee some new early fall hunting togs out of them next season. ;) gonna have to make a traditional bow too.
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2015, 05:50:05 PM »
OK -- now its time to smoke the hide.

Smoking the hide puts "RESIN" from the wood into the hide and prevents the "Olympic rings" from connecting again if it gets wet. (hopefully that makes sense to everyone. It also can give it a nice color, lighter or darker depending on time and wood used. The resin fills the space inside the leather that you created by breaking it.

You need to use a dry smoke! I worked with a guy that smoked a hide just like you smoke meat using wet wood chips and it came out hard as a rock! What a waste and back to the softening step you go.

I use bone dry and rotten cottonwood. I look for punky wood and bring it home and keep it in my wood shed just for this reason. Punky wood so it doesn't start on fire, just smolders.

Take the hide and sew it together to form a sock, I have a pant leg from a pair of jeans that I sew on the bottom to keep it further away from the heat... we don't want to cook the hide, only apply smoke throughout the skin. I have a round charcoal grill with a smoke stack attached to it that I use. Sitting on the ground the stack sticks up about 4 feet. I hang the hide in a tree and lower the tube until the jean is over the stack. I use charcoal to start the fire inside and apply the rotten cotton wood over the top to keep it smoking good. About 30 mins then flip inside out for consistent color. If color isn't a big deal, then one side is enough. Once you are finished, with the smoke, you should be good to go!

I will leave the hides hang in the garage and let them off gas for a few days or a week to get rid of the heavy smoke smell prior to working further with them. Now if you get them wet or wash them, you might need to soften a little bit to get back to your original condition.

Now you can turn your hard work into something!
Thank you for breaking it down the way you did, Tons of videos of this on youtube but most do a poor job of explaining the process, Great posts Thanks for sharing!
Shane Falco

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2015, 04:30:03 AM »
I registered on bushcraftusa forum today. Spent some time poking around, Its giving me lots of Ideas for this category already. I may have to link some of the things there if that's ok with the Mods.
Shane Falco

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2015, 07:27:33 AM »
I registered on bushcraftusa forum today. Spent some time poking around, Its giving me lots of Ideas for this category already. I may have to link some of the things there if that's ok with the Mods.
great forum over there. Nothing like hw 
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2015, 07:57:46 AM »
This might be a great idea for a new category and fits right in with hunting. Mods? Dale?
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2015, 09:05:25 AM »
Another useful sub-category, local edible plants/foods in the NW.

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2015, 11:16:32 AM »

This is a category that I am always shocked at how many people have no idea whats edible out there.  We were taught from a very young age which plants we could eat and not eat, which berries and mushrooms were safe, and how to forage. We weren't a hunting family. 

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2015, 12:12:12 PM »

I would think that would be part of Bush Craft and Survival
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline WoodlandShooter

• Sourdough
  • Groups: P.H.U.
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2015, 01:27:15 PM »
taging for later

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2015, 09:15:19 AM »
What's the best local materials for a hand drill to make an ember?

Offline Wazukie

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2015, 09:22:01 AM »
Cotton wood or cedar is suppose to be two of the better in the NW 
Matthew 6:33

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics