collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Baiting on the chopping block  (Read 135690 times)

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Baiting on the chopping block
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2015, 10:04:47 PM »
The GMAC is made up of guys like all of us. 15-25 guys sitting around a campfire being provided with information.  They're the ones who have volunteered to be the spokesman for their cause and want to make sure their groups' interests are heard. But, more importantly, they want to insure bad ideas stay out of game management for the health of the herds, the future of our sport, and the public good.

To bad the wolf advisory group wasn't made up of people like this instead of people trying to end hunting :bash:

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2015, 10:20:40 PM »
Baiting:

1.  Bring back the ability to bait bear.
That would take legislative action. WDFW can prohibit deer/elk baiting through the WDFW Commission (WAC). Bear baiting is in state law (RCW) which can only be changed by the legislature.

Offline Firedogg

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2015, 10:38:52 PM »
 Leave the point system alone, no matter what is done to it people will be pissed. It works, building points is not a guarantee that some day you "will" get the tag, it's just more chances at drawing it..

I do see a change in the winds as far as baiting, especially with the pressure put on by the non-hunting groups. One suggestion may be to only allow vegetable or fruit baits in natural form to be used. This eliminates the problems with salts, invasive grasses, and other baits that leach into the ground causing wildlife to dig up the ground increasing erosion. Makes it simple and easy to follow and enforce.

No one will like my bear bait idea. Charge for a baiting permit, specific areas with a required distance from buildings/cabins, and use the funds to manage the bear program. Yep.... I knew no one would like this one. lol. Just tossing out random thoughts.
There is no greater respect to have for wildlife than to harvest an animal fairly and use it's flesh to feed your family.  ~me

Offline kenzmad

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2015, 10:42:57 PM »
Leave the point system alone, no matter what is done to it people will be pissed. It works, building points is not a guarantee that some day you "will" get the tag, it's just more chances at drawing it..

I do see a change in the winds as far as baiting, especially with the pressure put on by the non-hunting groups. One suggestion may be to only allow vegetable or fruit baits in natural form to be used. This eliminates the problems with salts, invasive grasses, and other baits that leach into the ground causing wildlife to dig up the ground increasing erosion. Makes it simple and easy to follow and enforce.

No one will like my bear bait idea. Charge for a baiting permit, specific areas with a required distance from buildings/cabins, and use the funds to manage the bear program. Yep.... I knew no one would like this one. lol. Just tossing out random thoughts.

I actually dont have an issue with your bear baiting idea. Suck we have to pay for it but its better than we have now. We get bait, they get money. Isnt this what both sides are looking for?
A stranger ain't nothing more than a friend you haven't met yet

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2015, 10:51:22 PM »
The GMAC is made up of guys like all of us. 15-25 guys sitting around a campfire being provided with information.  They're the ones who have volunteered to be the spokesman for their cause and want to make sure their groups' interests are heard. But, more importantly, they want to insure bad ideas stay out of game management for the health of the herds, the future of our sport, and the public good.

Thanks Todd. The only issue I have with this is those 15-25 guys/gals are not voted in to speak for us. This is in no way singling you out, but without being voted in by the group (hunters) as whole, and soliciting majority opinion from that group, how does the group know each one of their best interests are being put forward?

For example, the permit system and the squeaky wheel lobbying to get "grease". Or the recent lighted nock issue, where for years it got held up by a select few based on their own opinion and not that of the group majority?

I'm all for a select group having a voice and representing us in meetings with WDFW, my concern is I know very few who have ever been asked their opinion by such a organization, before going into those meetings with what should be majority decision. :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline mkcj

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2015, 11:31:26 PM »
"Preference points:  Not sure what you mean by this?  If you mean the draw system, I would like to see where a person can only draw one "draw" per animal per year.  Keep all the Catagories but if a person draws "quality" they cannot draw "buck" "doe" "second deer", etc.  Start the draw with the quality and go down from there.  This would prevent a person from drawing two tags and only being able to harvest one animal.   :twocents:"

:yeah:

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2015, 01:20:21 AM »

3. 10 gal should be per hunter per season.

Unenforceable

5. If baiting is allowed, it should be limited to private lands only with written permission of the owner required

So private land owners can lure animals away from public land hunters who can't bait? I don't think so.

As for preference points. Get rid of the whole system and only allow hunters to apply for one hunt per animal. Then only allow successful applicants to apply again for that species after a 3-5 year wait. That is the most fair system there is.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2015, 01:21:08 AM »
Baiting
First, I oppose restrictions!

Second, everyone needs to understand that if rules are created they must be reasonable and simple for hunters to understand and follow, and must be easy for WDFW officers to enforce.

Third, most restrictions are only needed on lands open to public use. I could live with the following simple rules that seem easy to enforce:

Baiting Restrictions
 - A $5 bait permit must be secured and visible at each bait (permit shows Wild ID number for LE purposes)
 - Bait may not be placed within 50 feet of surface water
 - Bait may not be placed within 1/4 mile of a designated public campground
 - A hunter must have at least 500 feet distance between their baits
 - Bait must be free of litter
 - No more than 100 pounds of hay may be placed at one time
 - No more than 20 cubic feet of hay may accumulate at a bait
 - The total volume of other types of bait available to be eaten shall not exceed 10 gallons at any bait site (barrels with timed feeders ok)
 - Bait and any materials used while baiting may not be placed more than 30 days prior to the opening date of the season you are licensed to hunt
 - Bait and any materials placed when baiting must be removed within 10 days after the close of the season you were licensed to hunt

Additional requirements for baiting on lands open to public use:
 - Bait shall not be placed within 300 feet of any public accessible roadway or designated trail
 - Bait cannot be visible from less than 1/4 mile of any public accessible roadway (hunters are advised to keep bait out of sight from public roadways)

Enforcement
First time offense should be a warning with 7 days time to correct the offense.
Second time offenders of the same rule should get a minor infraction.
Third time offenders should get hammered, these are the guys who are probably giving baiting a black eye.
(delete this as bigtex has pointed out good reasons why this is a bad idea)

I'm not representing anyone other than myself with these possible rules, but if we must have rules I think these are reasonable and would be easy to follow and enforce!  :dunno:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 05:18:07 AM by bearpaw »
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Mxracer532

• Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2015, 06:24:30 AM »
Baiting
First, I oppose restrictions!

Second, everyone needs to understand that if rules are created they must be reasonable and simple for hunters to understand and follow, and must be easy for WDFW officers to enforce.

Third, most restrictions are only needed on lands open to public use. I could live with the following simple rules that seem easy to enforce:

Baiting Restrictions
 - A $5 bait permit must be secured and visible at each bait (permit shows Wild ID number for LE purposes)
 - Bait may not be placed within 50 feet of surface water
 - Bait may not be placed within 1/4 mile of a designated public campground
 - A hunter must have at least 500 feet distance between their baits
 - Bait must be free of litter
 - No more than 100 pounds of hay may be placed at one time
 - No more than 20 cubic feet of hay may accumulate at a bait
 - The total volume of other types of bait available to be eaten shall not exceed 10 gallons at any bait site (barrels with timed feeders ok) - Bait and any materials used while baiting may not be placed more than 30 days prior to the opening date of the season you are licensed to hunt
 - Bait and any materials placed when baiting must be removed within 10 days after the close of the season you were licensed to hunt

Additional requirements for baiting on lands open to public use:
 - Bait shall not be placed within 300 feet of any public accessible roadway or designated trail
 - Bait cannot be visible from less than 1/4 mile of any public accessible roadway (hunters are advised to keep bait out of sight from public roadways)

Enforcement
First time offense should be a warning with 7 days time to correct the offense.
Second time offenders of the same rule should get a minor infraction.
Third time offenders should get hammered, these are the guys who are probably giving baiting a black eye.

I'm not representing anyone other than myself with these possible rules, but if we must have rules I think these are reasonable and would be easy to follow and enforce!  :dunno:

#1 $5 permit, WE PAY ENOUGH ALREADY!
#2 None of those are EASY for LE to enforce. Pretty sure they dont carry a scale to weigh hay thats scattered on the ground.
#3 They are supposed to carry something to some how test how much volume of liquid that has been poored on the ground??? Or scoop up apples and test the volume????
NONE OF THOSE ARE EASY TO ENFORCE!

My  :twocents:
The baiting debate is a joke, leave it alone. The more and more regulations we place on ourselves or the state places on us is just another step towards taking something else. Its just a snow ball effect drivin by the anti's and we have more then enough in this state already.

As for the permit system, I would be ok with changing to if you draw a quality tag you wait 2 years to apply again. (unless of course you are like me and a few others who drew a quality tag only to have to turn it in due to the fires, in which case grandfather to the next year) This would better anyone who hasnt drawn odds but cost the state $. (NOT GONNA HAPPEN)
Avid ARCHERY deer and elk hunter.
Coyote killer in the off season.
MX Racer simi retired to practice when I can.

Offline Jim the Plumber

• Local Legend
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • Hunting trespassers from the air
    • http://precisiontactical.co/
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2015, 07:42:08 AM »
I oppose any restrictions on baiting. We are regulated to death in this state.
Where in Ellensburg and what time is this meeting? And is it open to the public?
Thanks.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2015, 07:59:36 AM »
I could get behind a permit system for baiting. $5-$15 seems like a reasonable price. You aren't required to bait so 80-90% of guys won't be effected and if permits are created a monitoring/enforcement program should be funded
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Stickerbush

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2015, 08:49:29 AM »
Tag
Coastal Perspective.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2015, 08:50:42 AM »
I could get behind a permit system for baiting. $5-$15 seems like a reasonable price. You aren't required to bait so 80-90% of guys won't be effected and if permits are created a monitoring/enforcement program should be funded

Just more money for the general fund. :twocents:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2015, 09:11:03 AM »

First step toward getting it banned.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2015, 09:24:01 AM »
  This would prevent a person from drawing two tags and only being able to harvest one animal.

Simple solution for someone that draws two "like species" permits in the same year, dont apply for more than one, problem solved!

Ridiculous to change the system over a individuals stupidity, anyone that has fallen into that category has nobody to blame but themselves. :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal