collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Missing hunter near Royal City  (Read 43192 times)

Offline Angus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Missing hunter near Royal City
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2015, 06:09:48 PM »
Sad news, don't have a good feeling how this will turn out.. If he was on land the air support would have found him by now I feel like,

Back in the early 90's a cousin of mine died while hunting, we knew his general location and took searchers to his favorite ground blind. Search and rescue, including a helicopter searched the area for 2-3 days and didn't find him. The following weekend family and friends gathered for a search and we found him, 30 yards from the ground blind we showed the S&R people, there were 3 markers the searchers left within sight of where he was found. The helicopter had to have flown over him at least 2-3 times.

Offline crabcreekhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2015, 06:21:03 PM »
Sad news, don't have a good feeling how this will turn out.. If he was on land the air support would have found him by now I feel like,

Back in the early 90's a cousin of mine died while hunting, we knew his general location and took searchers to his favorite ground blind. Search and rescue, including a helicopter searched the area for 2-3 days and didn't find him. The following weekend family and friends gathered for a search and we found him, 30 yards from the ground blind we showed the S&R people, there were 3 markers the searchers left within sight of where he was found. The helicopter had to have flown over him at least 2-3 times.
Sorry to hear that story angus and it is still a possibility he is alive and on the ground, obviously don't have all the info, but it is just not adding up for the area he is in, praying for his family and a positive outcome.
"Courage is simply fear that has said its prayers"

Offline chukar58

• Hunter
  • What's in your freezer?
  • Groups: Washington State Bowhunters, RMEF
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2015, 06:22:11 PM »
Sending prayers to have a good ending on this search.  I have known Thomas for a few years and he is a very nice man and a hunt-washington member.

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2015, 08:40:30 PM »
I have heard weather has been a issue but not to find him yet is not  good  news. Prayers for the family and friends since I don't think this is going to turn out well.
If its brown knock it down

Offline Mtn.Ghost

• NWTripper
  • Sourdough
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2015, 09:58:44 PM »
Been following this thread and praying he is found safe but the elapsed time and the harsh weather is leaning towards the need for a miracle at this point. The fact that hes is probably dressed in all camo is also adding to the poor visibility others have mentioned. I'm not really boots on the ground familiar with the area but as I do recall its fairly wide open country compared to a lost in the forest situation.

Also he is an older gentleman his general health unknown by me but the fact he is older and alone concerns me and makes me think as I always do about my senior hunting partners. I always worry about them even though a couple of them have been at it almost longer than I've been alive. Like others have said, the waste ways and creeks/water were the first thing to come to mind. Could he have maybe tried to cross over some thin ice? Not sure if water is freezing over there. The tree stand mentioned is interesting being on a day hunt. I couldn't see most people packing one too far for a short hunt unless it was already established or he planned on possibly leaving it up :dunno:

Praying for Thomas and his family for a positive outcome.......Everyone hold yours a little tighter this season and every chance you get. Truly think of what your thankful for and why, this could be any of us.

Prayers and God bless all.       
"Grizzlybunny"

Offline rasbo

• Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2015, 04:22:08 AM »
I hunt this area solo a lot,I have never seen any sketchy charactors out there,Im sure there can be at times...a lot of the ponds are lower than normal this year,Getting stuck in the mud could be real easy..I cant help but feel it was a medical problem...Im hoping for the best.Yesterday was super foggy and this morning I have two inches of snow and still snowing..Prayers for him and his family

Offline Buck Rub Jr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2015, 05:19:48 AM »
I was there on Saturday as well with my dad and a very close family friend chain some quail and pheasants, we were in a white Chevy with a canopy. I wish we would've known about this. Praying for the man and his family. Terrible.
They is where you aint and you aint where they is.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2015, 08:29:22 AM »
Checked the news and don't see any updates.  Has anyone heard anything this morning? 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2015, 08:42:12 AM »
Nothing new from GCSO this morning...
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Apples

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2015, 09:42:24 AM »
Does anybody know if they need more people to search tomorrow, I have the day off and was wondering if they needed more people to look?

Offline Elkrunner

• Sourdough
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2015, 09:46:24 AM »
I haven't seen any updates this am, which I find odd.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2015, 10:20:39 AM »
The Latest from GCSO

9:45 am 11/24/2015: A U.S. Air Force helicopter from Fairchild AFB will be searching the area today near Royal City where bow hunter Thomas Stieg was last believed to be. Sheriff's Deputies will be joining the ground search later this morning. There is no request for additional volunteers at this time. More than 100 volunteers combed the area Monday, but Stieg was not found.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline wsucowboy

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2015, 11:25:16 AM »
I pray that they are able to find him, no family should have to go through this. Especially during the holidays

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."
-Alan Ladd
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers."
-Karl Barth

Offline Elkrunner

• Sourdough
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2015, 06:12:51 PM »
Did anyone know how the flights turned out today.  I'm assuming not good since its been quiet.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2015, 06:17:58 PM »
Spokane News just reported the search is still on. As with everybody, I hope this turns out good.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal