collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting by mountain bike  (Read 13228 times)

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
Re: Hunting by mountain bike
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 09:27:34 PM »
Awesome info guys thanks again!  :hello:

Offline snocohunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2015, 03:04:33 PM »
I don't hunt off my MTB, yet, but I did learn that a good pair of padded riding shorts goes a long ways to help with saddle sore issues. You can also build up a bit of a callous if you ride enough, and learn to keep your weight off that region.

I prefer clip in pedals also.

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Whack em and stack em!!
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2015, 05:32:37 PM »
Hey rutnbuck, Kmart has a blue light special on a 18 speed for 69$, that'll get you anywhere you want and never leave you stranded :chuckle: I might go that route and you'll be doing a lot of waiting around for me :tup:
To God alone be the Glory!!

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2015, 10:34:17 PM »
This is the whole reason I'm going this route is to not be taking all day getting to hunting grounds  :bash:

Offline fly-by

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2015, 11:18:57 PM »
If you are riding logging roads you don't need a suspension bike.  A hard tail 29er is simple and will smooth things out.  Don't worry about a huge range of gears, just get something with a super low end.  I use a 1x9 (no front derailleur) with 2.4" tires and have been happy with it.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2015, 11:04:02 AM »
I hunted with a Trek 6000 for a few years. Lessons learned.
If you have not ridden allot don't expect to not be in pain after your first day.
A large bottom gel seat is your friend.
Do not expect to be able to ride efficiently wearing multiple layers of clothing.
West side, removable fenders are a must have. Without them you will be soaked with mud.
Disc brakes are a must have. Going 20+ Down a gravel logging road is a bad time to find out you brake pads a gone.
On the east side, if it is cold, wear ear muffs while riding down hill. They will feel like they are about to fall off if you don't.
A front suspension is awesome! Without your hands will be vibrated to numbness on downhill washboard runs.
Take a lock and long cable, run the cable through both rims and the frame to a thick tree. If there are accessories expect they will be stolen.
I started with a Costco Huffy. That thing was so heavy I usually had to push it up most inclines. When I bought my Trek 6000 used, it was 1/4 the weight of the huffy. You coul pick up the Trek with one hand easily.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2015, 03:44:12 PM »
Any hardcore bikers out there know if I a front/rear disc brake set is swapable to a specialized hard rock?
Buddy has a schwin ditch 3.0 ultra for 50 bucks. Thought it might be worth using for parts if I can swap.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline Fungunnin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2015, 04:27:45 PM »
Any hardcore bikers out there know if I a front/rear disc brake set is swapable to a specialized hard rock?
Buddy has a schwin ditch 3.0 ultra for 50 bucks. Thought it might be worth using for parts if I can swap.
If your bike has tabs for disk brakes they will be swappable. You may need an adapter though. 

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2015, 09:30:35 PM »
Just wondering if this bike would be with looking into four my needs , what do u guys think?  It's a navaro tupelo 29er

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2015, 09:32:28 PM »
Size is a med. I'm 5'8"

Offline Fungunnin

• Hunter
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2015, 09:46:49 PM »
That would be a great dirt road light trail bike if it fits you.

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2015, 06:47:28 AM »
So I'm going to go look at the above bike Saturday morning, what are some things I should look for as far as damaged parts ,it's a pretty new bike so should be ingood shape.

Offline Fungunnin

• Hunter
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2015, 08:35:49 AM »
So I'm going to go look at the above bike Saturday morning, what are some things I should look for as far as damaged parts ,it's a pretty new bike so should be ingood shape.
Flip the bike over so it is resting on the handles and seat. Pedal it with your hand while working the gears. It should shift smoothly between all gears. If not it will need to be tuned to shift well.
Look and the front fork. The seals should be in good shape and not leaking oil onto the stantions. Cycle the fork by holding the breaks and pushing your body weight down on the bars. The fork should operate smoothly and not fell like a pogo stick coming back at you. Look at the tires. If they are worn new tires will cost you $35-$70 each. Check the breaks to make sure they work and slow you smoothly. You should be able to easily lock the breaks if they are working properly.
Lastly just test ride it and see how it feel for you.
Good luck!

Offline WAnoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2015, 08:43:10 AM »
sky is the limit on mtn bikes... If you think bows, rifles and optics are specialized, the world of high quality/high priced bikes is mind blowing. Having been competitively mtn biking and hunting since age 12 it's awesome to combine the two.

My rig is not like most as its a 29" Niner RIP 9 which I have customized... Not cheap at all but I also ride a crap ton in a single year. Much like hunting, you get what you pay for. Sure, you can buy cotton camo at Walmart and you'll Kill animals with the skills you have but having good quality gear helps you stay comfortable and confident your gear is not a limiter.

To answer your question on bikes: what I'd suggest is the following:
- a 29" hard tail which is FITTED TO YOU. Most buy crappy bikes off Craigs List, fit them with a crappy, padded seat and wonder why their nether regions turn into hamburger. If the bike doesn't fit you'll be uncomfortable. Don't fool yourself. Full suspension is great but it also adds weight. Hence, the hard tail suggestion. If you're pulling a Cart which weighs 40+lbs you'll likely be walking it up most hills unless you've got stud-like fitness.

- fat tire bikes are intriguing but rolling resistance is high... Aka "not fast." I like to rock and roll past many others strolling down logging roads... "Thinner" 2.1" tires are a better option but you'll likely need to check tire pressure more often (daily).

- you do not need a huge padded seat if the bike fits. Read that again. You may not even need nut hugger spandex if the bike fits you well.

- Marino wool underwear, with seems not on your taint, helps.

- if you go with full suspension you'll also need to learn about maintainence of the shock... Correct pressures, adjusting the sag etc. so, with that, read bullet #1. Riding full squish isn't just about comfort but also about handling... With a pack, bow and cart that handling changes. Practice riding before you hit the woods.

- price: if you go NEW I'd suggest about 700-1000 and that's for a used rig for most  models/brands or a new Kona kahuna (I believe).

- gears: if you go with a triple chain ring up front, learn to adjust it yourself. I'd suggest you roll with a single or double chain ring but check the rear cassette to ensure that you have a large enough cog to get you efficiently up the steep hills which frequent any elk forests.

- get light weight pedals.

- buy a removal fender so you don't coat yourself with mud.

Good luck and have fun! It's awesome to cover more country on a bike.

Erik

Any good brands you recommend?  I was going to head to REI in Bham and look around.  I like the looks of the Cannondales for around $700.00.  But I haven't rode bikes in about 13 years, I switched to engine powered two wheels when I was 14 :chuckle:
AK 907

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2015, 08:59:14 AM »
make sure to get disc brakes.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Today at 11:27:12 PM]