collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Would you buy this saw? Bought: MS271 Farm Boss  (Read 30250 times)

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: Would you buy this saw?
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2015, 07:12:58 AM »
I like the Fiskars.  Swings well for me and splits nicely. It's pretty straight  wood so not much problem breaking it up. Getting used to the saw. Glad I got the size I did. I'll work on that saw selfie next go around.

Looks and sounds like you have a set up that works well for you. That's all that matters. :tup:

Offline HntnFsh

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2015, 07:20:34 AM »
Nice maul, little tip always face the small end of wood round facing the ground, it makes splitting large rounds much easier.  :tup:

That's always been backwards to me.
Those Fiskars are nice. A lot of people like them. Ive always preferred a good wood handled old style single head Collins axe. Think they were a 4 pound head. Best wood splitter Ive found. To me those plastic, fiberglass handles flex to much and you lose force with them. Tried a few. Including Fiskars. Always went back to my Collins axe.

It's physics, your greatest force hits the larger end of round, then the smaller end when split carries the weight from above outward from the splitting action.  :tup:

I look at it a little differently. With the small end up. Your starting out by splitting less surface area. So easier to start the split and let it work its way through the round. On any round over about a foot in diameter I always try to start my split about an inch or 2 from the outside edge. That way the splitting action goes down and across at the same time.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2015, 11:44:43 AM »
Congrats on the 290.  It's a little late but I've cut over 4 cords a year for the last 15 years with a 250. 
The Fiskars axe is a great tool.  It's hardened and will chip badly if you drive it through with a sledge.  Great limber.
For serious wood cutting, you'll want/need a pee vee.
http://www.zoro.com/dixie-peavy-2-12-in-dia-hickory-handle-5-ft-l-00260/i/G1932366/?gclid=CL63rdWusckCFZRcfgodrTsBIA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2015, 11:46:57 AM »
Fool.....for sure!

Goldeneye on here has one from about a million years ago...old and sturdy. I'm finding that pulling a round out 'a the ground when a limb is driven straight down is a pain in the.....back. I'll be looking for one here very soon. Thanks for the link.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2015, 08:53:10 AM »
I want this for splitting. Had a head come off the handle once in mid swing, was an intense second trying to figure out where it was gonna land.

https://www.lehmans.com/p-352-heavy-duty-splitting-maul.aspx?show=all

I have split some wood with one of these, seem to work good...On my wish list.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2015, 04:12:12 PM »
Making headway.  I paced off what's still on the ground....28 feet.  So far so good.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2015, 04:28:13 PM »
Nice wood!

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2015, 07:45:22 PM »
h20...Just a suggestion. Buy a skip tooth chain (Stihl - RSF) it will cut quicker than the safety chain that is on it, BUT, It also will kickback more, so ya gotta pay attention.

I use multiple saws and have skip tooths on all of them. I prefer my 211 over my 310 for firewood cutting. Keep the chain sharp. :twocents:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2015, 07:47:50 PM »
h20...Just a suggestion. Buy a skip tooth chain (Stihl - RSF) it will cut quicker than the safety chain that is on it, BUT, It also will kickback more, so ya gotta pay attention.

I use multiple saws and have skip tooths on all of them. I prefer my 211 over my 310 for firewood cutting. Keep the chain sharp. :twocents:

He will just cut his arm off!  :chuckle:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2015, 07:51:28 PM »
 :chuckle:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies

Offline Buckmark

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2015, 07:58:42 PM »
Dont buy a fullskip till you learn to sharpen, dressup correctly, they actually dull quicker, but what do i know..

I told you to get a cant dog already.....

and splitting buy hand is a young mans game btw....spit 4-6 cords of rounds in one setting and you will love renting a log splitter... :twocents:

But hey i have a cord of rounds on the trailer you can come and practice on... :chuckle:
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2015, 08:10:35 PM »
Yes, knowing how to sharpen is a must... with any chain. Its not hard to do.
Skip will dull a little quicker, but only half the amount of teeth to sharpen. Keep it out of the dirt.

Offline Buckmark

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2015, 08:14:05 PM »
Oh and h20, what ever you do, don't google chainsaw accidents/kick back injuries and watch then with the little lady...don't do it..... :yike:
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2015, 08:22:48 PM »
I like full comp chisel chains for cutting firewood and a 28" bar, less bending over when cutting limbs, always use the tip of the bar for bumping limbs, never use the dogs and when you dog in when your cutting rounds watch the tip when you roll over that way you don't go trenching thoughts the dirt and rocks, and purchase a peevee, it will help keep the log off the dirt.. :twocents:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Stickerbush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2015, 08:34:08 PM »
When I was doing tree work we always had a couple 260s on the crew. That was the go to saw for bucking, clearing trails, falling small stuff etc. Pound for pound its hard to beat that saw with a 20 inch bar. That's what I have at home as well picked up a used 026 off Craigslist.

That's my saw of choice but any of the above mentioned will do fine, sharp chain is key
Coastal Perspective.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal