collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Montana success  (Read 3816 times)

Offline Kazekurt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • The trophy is in the hunt; the animal is a bonus!
Montana success
« on: November 24, 2015, 09:57:55 AM »
Headed to MT again this year with family and friends.  As always, we decided to hit the high country and were camped at just under 8000 ft.  I spotted some elk about 1/2 hour into daylight the first morning but they spotted me first and blew out so I never could confirm a brow tine bull.  Two of my dad's rancher buddies from MT dropped 5x5 Bulls that day and another guy in camp missed a bull so my hopes were running high!  On day two, I never could get back on the elk but passed on a decent 3x3 muley and saw a huge bull moose!  When I got back to camp, another one of the guys from MT had dropped a rag horn bull and my dad said he saw some cows.  Day 3; I shot a nice coyote right off the get go and saw some more mule deer but nothing I was willing to shoot. My stepmom's dad shot a 3 x 2 muley from camp which was really cool because he's limited on his range and was by far the oldest guy in camp.  He said he literally put down the coffee, picked up his rifle, And shot the buck!!

Offline Kazekurt

• Scout
Re: Montana success
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 10:05:17 AM »
Unfortunately, I had to head home which really sucksed because the weather was starting to roll in and this is kind of a migration area.  Anyway, the next  weekend I headed back over And was joined by a couple buddies from the forum.  I will let them decide if they want to get in on this thread😄. This go around, the objective was primarily mule deer; which is and always has been my primary love!  We headed back into the high country but were primarily around 6000 feet.  Day one, everybody sees bucks but we are all holding out for monsters.  One of the guys almost lays down a real nice four by three but they were trying to film and just didn't quite pull it off. 

Offline Kazekurt

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 10:17:24 AM »
Day 2; where is our snow and why are a lot of the bucks hanging in Bachelor groups?  Anyway, we are seeing lots of deer And having a blast but no luck on day two.  Day 3, i'm headed way back where I saw A couple decent bucks on day one.  Surprisingly, I only encounter a couple does and a run-of-the-mill three point on the way in.  Around 8 miles back, I decide to hit a few benches that have produced for me in past years.  This is super steep country so I start the slow climb up the ridge.  Near the second bench where it leads into a drainage I catch a flicker of movement in the burnt timber and see a flash of gray.  Mule deer! but I can't tell what they are at this point so I start slowly circling from above looking for a better view.  One of the deer moves and I catch one side of his rack, no doubt shooter!!!

Offline Kazekurt

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 10:30:21 AM »
The buck is about 150 yards away from me but there is a ton of timber between us and absolutely no shot.  I start to circle painstakingly slow looking for a window to shoot through.  The buck is definitely aware something is going on up above so I'm literally going like one step at a time and then waiting several seconds.  Finally I see what is perhaps my only opportunity.  I brace up on a tree, but the buck needs to take one step!  I'm praying when he does it will not be at a run because this window is really small; The waiting game is on.  Finally, the buck inches forward, bang!!

Offline Kazekurt

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 10:35:56 AM »

Conclusion of this hunt to follow, but I have to go to lunch real quick with my boys at school!  I figured Id better not leave you hanging though, or the hatred would be severe, so I'll put these three picks up for now :-)

Offline Elkrunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 10:38:05 AM »
 :tup:

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 01:15:29 PM »
Nice buck, congrats :tup:
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline Kazekurt

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 03:31:45 PM »
OK, so I'm pumped the buck is down, get him gutted and call for my buddies to come help take pics and pack him out and After quickly boning him out we are on out way.  On the way out we probably saw about a dozen deer but only one good buck and my friends couldn't get a shot. That night we celebrate by eating some of the straps off my daughters whitetail spike from WA as well as some fresh Mule deer.  That meal was ridiculously good and well-earned!  The next day it snows big time; probably like 6 inches in just a couple hours.  I'm itching to head back up top, but everyone is tired from the pack out and its snowing hard so the remaining tag holders decide to hang lower where both whitetail and Mule deer often reside.  One of my friends spots a whitetail buck and can't resist his beautiful golden color.

Offline Kazekurt

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 03:49:41 PM »
Anyway, when it was all said and done the camp ended up with 2 whitetail bucks and 4 mule deer bucks!  I'll let others decide if they want to post pics and stories of their bucks but suffice to say all were hard earned regardless of size!  I think perhaps serving up the celebratory Whitetail steaks may have influenced a couple of the guys to take Whitetail😄. Fun hunt and a heartfelt big thanks to all involved!!!  I still have an elk tag in my pocket so hopefully this thread will continue this weekend!

Offline HUNTaHOLIC5

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 03:55:26 PM »
Wow great hunt and buck!  :tup:

Offline MLBowhunting

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 08:14:30 PM »
Man what a beautiful buck.  5x5 with eyeguards crap.  You the man
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 08:42:23 PM »
Nice buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline Mark251

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 09:47:05 PM »
Great looking buck! Congratulations  :tup:

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
  • I gotcha where I want ya, now I'm gonna eat ya!
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 10:27:37 PM »
Sounds epic! Congrats on a great hunt!!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Deadeyety
[Today at 05:12:44 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:12:42 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]