collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looks like there is officially a new pack in the Methow  (Read 23759 times)

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
Re: Looks like there is officially a new pack in the Methow
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 12:47:15 PM »
:bdid: for me to engage in this conversation I think.
I think you should. You are one of the more knowledgeable people when it comes to the Methow valley.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 12:48:47 PM »

This is a confirmed pack. Which means a breeding pair.

That is incorrect.
2014 there were 14 or something packs and only 5 breeding pairs

Okay, thanks. Wasn't 100% sure on that but I always thought to count as one of the required packs for eventual federal delisting, that a "pack" had to consist of a breeding pair.

Either way, the fact remains that it takes biologists a lot of time and work before they can officially confirm the presence of a wolf pack in a particular area.

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 03:19:13 PM »

If you don't think "finally admitting" isn't a correct analysis, then you have issues......oh, wait............... ;)

No I sure don't think it's correct. They can't just take a few wolf sightings reported by the general public and call it a pack. Try to spin it that way if you like, but reasonable people aren't going to buy into these kinds of conspiracy theories. A little common sense goes a long way.

:tup:

With everyone being to quick to jump on H-W and dis WDFW maybe get out their where these other "packs" are and setup trail cameras, do some hiking get photographs of animals and send them in. WDFW doesnt have a wolf task force out there to find every single animal and ever pack. If concerned hunters did the leg work and provided them documentation and not hearsay we could get things moving. I believe that every wolfpack on the eastern slope has been documented (trail cameras/photos) by private individuals before WDFW has confirmed the pack.
:yeah:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 05:17:32 PM »

X2, not worth the time of day Bone. I wonder, will their heads ever pop out? :dunno:

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 05:20:33 PM »
Lets see.. if I rember correctly there are a couple people on here that do or have lived there that have provided decent intel to the wdfw and were blown off.

Bobcat not so sure your statement is gona carry water on this argument. Especially if your gona argue with some one who has spent tons of time in the valley and used to live there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 05:23:01 PM »

X2, not worth the time of day Bone. I wonder, will their heads ever pop out? :dunno:

X3, same "groupies" every time. Not worth any of our time. A little common sense goes a long ways...........wow

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 05:27:01 PM »

X3, same "groupies" every time. Not worth any of our time. A little common sense goes a long ways...........wow

X4 leave now while u can Mtnmuley
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 05:36:17 PM »
I'm not sure why living in a particular area has much to do with it. The fact is it takes time (and money) to confirm wolf packs. To continue to put forth the idea that some governmental agency is attempting to deny the existence of wolves in a particular area gets old.

If you pay attention to the news releases put out by the WDFW, you'd know that they often admit that there likely are many wolves that they either don't know about yet or just don't yet have the data to officially confirm.

From a news release last March:
Martorello noted that the number of confirmed successful breeding pairs in the annual wolf survey has remained the same for the past three years, despite a significant increase in the number of individual wolves. Since 2012, WDFW has documented a total of five breeding pairs between the Eastern Washington and North Cascades recovery regions.

"Given the continued growth of the state's wolf population, there's a good chance that we have breeding pairs east of the Cascade Range we haven't found yet," he said.

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 05:46:15 PM »
You are missing a key point bobcat-politics. Conservation NW and other clubs have a big say in things, but more importantly it is who is in charge at the wdfw office in Olympia.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 05:52:06 PM »
You are missing a key point bobcat-politics. Conservation NW and other clubs have a big say in things, but more importantly it is who is in charge at the wdfw office in Olympia.

I don't understand what you're saying.

All I'm saying is that we can't automatically assume that it's the WDFW's or USFWS's intent to try to lie about the actual number of wolves and where those wolves are located. Could it be that sometimes they just DON'T KNOW? Kind of like they don't have a clue as to how many cougars are in this state. Or deer. Or elk. They just don't know. Everything the government does is not always a conspiracy.

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2015, 05:54:04 PM »

All I'm saying is that we can't automatically assume that it's the WDFW's or USFWS's intent to try to lie about the actual number of wolves and where those wolves are located. Could it be that sometimes they just DON'T KNOW? Kind of like they don't have a clue as to how many cougars are in this state. Or deer. Or elk. They just don't know. Everything the government does is not always a conspiracy.

Yeah, a lot of times its just good old fashioned incompetence.  :chuckle:

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2015, 05:55:20 PM »

Yeah, a lot of times its just good old fashioned incompetence.  :chuckle:

Now that I can't argue with. You can call it that if you wish.

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2015, 06:02:01 PM »
I agree with bobcat.  WDFW doesn't have any idea how many of any animals there are in this state.  But the conspiracy theorists on here know way more than everyone else.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2015, 06:11:28 PM »
I agree with bobcat.  WDFW doesn't have any idea how many of any animals there are in this state.  But the conspiracy theorists on here know way more than everyone else.
Right, so if they don't know how much of what is where, then WDFW also cannot deny what people know to be there.  Instead of telling everyone they are just seeing coyotes and giving the impression that WDFW knows exactly what every wolf is doing---just say 'yeah, there's packs out there that aren't confirmed yet...we'll get to them in time...thanks for the info' or something along those lines.  Probably go a long ways to remove the conspiracy thought.

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2015, 06:55:26 PM »

Right, so if they don't know how much of what is where, then WDFW also cannot deny what people know to be there.  Instead of telling everyone they are just seeing coyotes and giving the impression that WDFW knows exactly what every wolf is doing---just say 'yeah, there's packs out there that aren't confirmed yet...we'll get to them in time...thanks for the info' or something along those lines.  Probably go a long ways to remove the conspiracy thought.

They (wdfw) do say just what you suggest.  Ive heard that very statement from about every senior wdfw person I've talked wolves with for the past several years.  It's better for the conspiracy folks if they exaggerate what the wdfw actually told them though.  Remember, a lot of these conspiracy believers tout things like chemtrails or made predictions that elk hunting was going to end in idaho years ago because of wolf predation.  It's just really hard to take any of them seriously...I don't care where they live or how blindly they wander around the woods.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]