collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looks like there is officially a new pack in the Methow  (Read 23730 times)

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Looks like there is officially a new pack in the Methow
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2015, 07:27:48 PM »

I agree with bobcat.  WDFW doesn't have any idea how many of any animals there are in this state.  But the conspiracy theorists on here know way more than everyone else.
Right, so if they don't know how much of what is where, then WDFW also cannot deny what people know to be there.  Instead of telling everyone they are just seeing coyotes and giving the impression that WDFW knows exactly what every wolf is doing---just say 'yeah, there's packs out there that aren't confirmed yet...we'll get to them in time...thanks for the info' or something along those lines.  Probably go a long ways to remove the conspiracy thought.

They (wdfw) do say just what you suggest.  Ive heard that very statement from about every senior wdfw person I've talked wolves with for the past several years.  It's better for the conspiracy folks if they exaggerate what the wdfw actually told them though.  Remember, a lot of these conspiracy believers tout things like chemtrails or made predictions that elk hunting was going to end in idaho years ago because of wolf predation.  It's just really hard to take any of them seriously...I don't care where they live or how blindly they wander around the woods.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I had a long conversation with the Game Warden and Biologist over in Wenas, during elk season about wolves. They both said the WSDFW are aware of several un-confirmed packs in Washington. It will take time to collect all the required data, but they will confirm ASAP. Both told us that they were not in support of wolf reintroduction back into Washington, because of all the political elements that come with wolves. They were very upfront and honest and did not dodge any of the questions we asked. 2cents
not sure which bio you talked to but the local guy is a clown. And as far as talking to game wardens they will tell you what they think you want to hear so take whT they say with huge helpings of salt

What I wanted to hear was there are no wolves where I hunt. That's not what I heard. In fact; I heard there are wolves where I hunt and they are on the verge of confirming a pack as more data is collected.

If they were going to lie, they would of said the opposite. By your example, you are mistaken.
If they told you they're on the verge of confirming a wenas pack they lied to you
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:45:20 AM by jdb »
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2015, 07:34:10 PM »
I saw 4 near Twisp 2 years ago..
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2015, 07:10:48 PM »
Well they have scoffed at members of my archery club who have done what i just described with wolves and Griz. So if you doubt thier holy intentions then you dont reside in the same reality I do.

I have a hard time believing guys who say they have evidence when they never have photos. And if you know guys with photos post them up here if wolves are in their hunting areas they shouldn't worry about guys wanting to hunt those areas because game animals will disappear... Right?

. I haven't met a WDFW bio who wouldn't want game cam pictures of wolves, griz, wolverine, etc with GPS coordinates. Bios want information, data, ect. That's what their job is, they have far more to benefit from discovering new packs, animals etc then they do from hiding anything.

Conservation NW wants more packs, they want to be able to say animals are in the granite falls area or st. Helen's monument. they don't care to hide any info because when animals become delisted and eligible to hunt they will just launch a PR campaign and file law suits.

Well I have told this story before and will tell it again. We  SHOWED  an 8  minute video to game folks in the early 90,s of the biggest  "YOTE" any of us or the game guys had  ever seen :chuckle:. We were stuck in snow up boulder creek(methow) in November. About a 160lb YOTE(twice the size of my lab) stared us down  while he stood in the middle of the road snarling at us at about 30 to 40 yrds away. After  throwing rocks at it and whistling(which you can see and hear on the video, it finally walked  over the bank and out of sight. We showed the video and basically were told "there are no wolves around here,thats just  a big coyote". That was said with a turd eatin grin on their face I might ad! Then they added that it was probably a world record yote, ha ha. Was it a wolf that they didn't want people knowing about at the time? To this day I don't know if they new about them at that time or not but it was not a yote!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 08:11:23 AM by bigmacc »

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2015, 07:32:25 PM »
In the early 90's there were signs posted at trailheads in the north Cascades asking people to report any wolf sightings. So, the presence of wolves surely was not unknown.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2015, 09:08:49 PM »
In the early 90's there were signs posted at trailheads in the north Cascades asking people to report any wolf sightings. So, the presence of wolves surely was not unknown.

So is that the response we should expect when they are reported, even with pics or video? My dad spent years in Alaska working  on the pipeline back in the day and had plenty of up close and  personal run ins with wolves, soon as he seen it  he said "HOLEY #### that's a big wolf!"....Maybe the fellas we talked to didn't know about the signs :chuckle:

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2015, 11:31:51 PM »
Tha ks for sharing that bigmacc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Romulus1297

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2015, 12:18:07 AM »
You are right. I remember those signs up the entiat valley and forgot about them
until now.

Offline winshooter88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2015, 03:29:19 AM »
Just to help keep things clear, according to WDFW a pack is any two or more wolves traveling together, a breeding pair is a male and female that have pups that survive past December 31st of the year they were born. To delist wolves we need 15 breeding pairs for three years or 18 breeding pairs for one year for the delisting process to begin. That number of wolf pack is irrelevant to delisting. There could be 100 wolf packs in the state and delisting would still only begin with the 15-18 breeding pairs.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2015, 07:46:43 AM »
I bet the tree huggers in the Methow are jumping up and down for joy.......
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2015, 09:09:15 AM »

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2015, 09:56:14 AM »

The lookout pack was KNOWN in the late 80s.  It was studied and hunting season was even halted in the Alta for three years because of it.   Distrust began there.  It becomes extremely hard to take them serious with all of the politics and games.   If they had been honest from day one, then this might not be such a laughable manner.  How many of you non local people knew of the Libby Creek pack?  That's what we all called it including government officials.  Then decades later "it was discovered".   They had been studying it for some time.  Its gets very tiring explaining this to every neophyte that picks up a paper and reads about the methow valley.  So yes, a little local knowledge goes a long ways, or in this case a lot of local knowledge.   As I have stated before, Ill never forget when the biologist called my Dad when I was there visiting.  We were watching several wolves out the front window of his house.   The biologist had never seen them and he had been studying them for two years.  Kind of hard to have a firm grasp on what you are studying if you never have even seen the animal. LOL    As for wolf sightings, well there have been wolves in the Methow for decades if not centuries.  Many just passing through.  There is a big difference between passing through and setting up shop.   Transient rat or all out infestation.  In the last few years, multiple packs have been working the Methow.  Many reports have been filed, and they all were dismissed or categorized as the lookout pack.   It wouldnt take much time for any woodsman worth his salt, to figure out there are several packs working the valley and even roughly what their boundaries are.   

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2015, 10:06:46 AM »
Well said!

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2015, 10:29:04 AM »

The lookout pack was KNOWN in the late 80s.  It was studied and hunting season was even halted in the Alta for three years because of it.   Distrust began there.  It becomes extremely hard to take them serious with all of the politics and games.   If they had been honest from day one, then this might not be such a laughable manner.  How many of you non local people knew of the Libby Creek pack?  That's what we all called it including government officials.  Then decades later "it was discovered".   They had been studying it for some time.  Its gets very tiring explaining this to every neophyte that picks up a paper and reads about the methow valley.  So yes, a little local knowledge goes a long ways, or in this case a lot of local knowledge.   As I have stated before, Ill never forget when the biologist called my Dad when I was there visiting.  We were watching several wolves out the front window of his house.   The biologist had never seen them and he had been studying them for two years.  Kind of hard to have a firm grasp on what you are studying if you never have even seen the animal. LOL    As for wolf sightings, well there have been wolves in the Methow for decades if not centuries.  Many just passing through.  There is a big difference between passing through and setting up shop.   Transient rat or all out infestation.  In the last few years, multiple packs have been working the Methow.  Many reports have been filed, and they all were dismissed or categorized as the lookout pack.   It wouldnt take much time for any woodsman worth his salt, to figure out there are several packs working the valley and even roughly what their boundaries are.   

not according to Bobcat(wetside) and idhunter((newly indoctrinated Bio) they know better than those that live with wolves on the daily  :bash: 

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2015, 04:37:43 PM »

Well said Bone!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2015, 04:56:26 PM »
Well they have scoffed at members of my archery club who have done what i just described with wolves and Griz. So if you doubt thier holy intentions then you dont reside in the same reality I do.

I have a hard time believing guys who say they have evidence when they never have photos. And if you know guys with photos post them up here if wolves are in their hunting areas they shouldn't worry about guys wanting to hunt those areas because game animals will disappear... Right?

. I haven't met a WDFW bio who wouldn't want game cam pictures of wolves, griz, wolverine, etc with GPS coordinates. Bios want information, data, ect. That's what their job is, they have far more to benefit from discovering new packs, animals etc then they do from hiding anything.

Conservation NW wants more packs, they want to be able to say animals are in the granite falls area or st. Helen's monument. they don't care to hide any info because when animals become delisted and eligible to hunt they will just launch a PR campaign and file law suits.

I agree.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter