collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Opinions on new concealed carry pistol  (Read 9349 times)

Offline Mongo Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Pew Pew lifestyle
Re: Opinions on new concealed carry pistol
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2015, 09:53:47 AM »
I studied the options on a carry pistol for about 3 years, believe it or not, because I didn't want to end up with something I regretted and then start the shopping process all over again.  I rented the top contenders on two occasions and ultimately went with the S&W Shield in 9mm (for a variety of reasons) and I have no regrets at all.  It's a great gun and very accurate shooting for me.

After you buy your gun be sure to check out this link to decide which type of ammo to go with - http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,184340.0.html

I think the biggest mistake I see that new CCW people make is buying "too much" gun for a EDC gun. not saying that's what you did, but more often than not that's what I see most people do. they shoot their buddies USP "compact" or Glock 19 or Springfield XD "compact". and come to realize that it can be a burden to carry such a big and heavy "compact" all day long. most wined up buying a second gun in the sub compact category or pocket pistol and are much happier.
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2015, 09:56:33 AM »
Great insight guys, thank you. I'm going to try out the Shield in 9mm, a couple of the Springfield firearms, and also a few of the small revolvers to see how they handle. Really just starting the process of narrowing it down.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Band

• Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2015, 01:18:14 PM »
I studied the options on a carry pistol for about 3 years, believe it or not, because I didn't want to end up with something I regretted and then start the shopping process all over again.  I rented the top contenders on two occasions and ultimately went with the S&W Shield in 9mm (for a variety of reasons) and I have no regrets at all.  It's a great gun and very accurate shooting for me.

After you buy your gun be sure to check out this link to decide which type of ammo to go with - http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,184340.0.html

I think the biggest mistake I see that new CCW people make is buying "too much" gun for a EDC gun. not saying that's what you did, but more often than not that's what I see most people do. they shoot their buddies USP "compact" or Glock 19 or Springfield XD "compact". and come to realize that it can be a burden to carry such a big and heavy "compact" all day long. most wined up buying a second gun in the sub compact category or pocket pistol and are much happier.
That's a good point, and I should clarify.  If I intended to conceal carry a pistol on a regular basis I would almost certainly have gone with an even smaller profile gun than the Shield.  I really only use mine as a measure of security when I'm in the woods, and knowing me, I simply would not carry a larger pistol than the Shield due to the weight and bulk.

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2015, 02:31:09 PM »
Many years ago I read a "test" between revolvers and pistols. They put them in mud, sand, froze them etc. In the end they chose pistols as most reliable.
Revolvers cylinders loaded up with mud and sand and would not rotate. I have heard all the arguments for years I am convinced that a single action pistol is as dependable as it gets.
I went with the Glock 43 as I have a Glock 19 and wanted slimmer grips. and both are 9 mms. I own 1911's and nice revolvers but I hate to beat the crap out of them as a carry gun.
Carl                                                                                                                                                                       
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline copasj

• Hunter
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2015, 03:31:24 PM »

My experience was the opposite.  I started with a sub compact that eventually swapped out for something bigger.  My experience was belt and holster makes a bigger impact on comfort than gun size.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline SRB

• Pilgrim
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2015, 08:04:25 PM »
I carry the Ruger LCP everyday.  It's perfect IMO as it is small and light enough to be carried everyday whereas anything else I've ever tried is too big and heavy.  The LCP shoots very well for what it is.

Quite frankly, I view it as more of a deterrent. Once a bad guy knows you have it, they'll probably take off.  If they don't then you protect yourself.   :twocents:

Offline mkcj

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2015, 08:48:11 PM »
Does anyone have or carry a Sig? like the P938

Offline copasj

• Hunter
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2015, 01:33:17 PM »
I've never owned anything in that size range.  But I've owned a P225, a P245 and multiple P220's.  None ever gave me issues and all of them were carry guns.  The only non-1911 pistol that I still own is a P220.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2015, 08:37:29 PM »
Does anyone have or carry a Sig? like the P938

I have shot the 938 and really liked it but the m&p shield has a much cheaper price tag and is just as good as the 938

Offline SniperDanWA

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, WFW
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2015, 08:13:42 AM »
I know I'm late to your thread, but I'll give my  :twocents: too.  iWork where I can't carry every day, nor can I easily have in my vehicle.  That said, I think the thing you need to review is how concealed do you want to be.  I have 6 different holsters.  I have three different guns for carry.  During this time if the year, I really like my shoulder harness.  I can go left or right, carry two extra mags and walk into just about any place without anyone the wiser.  My 9mm is my go to; however, my wife loves my 22.  The 45 is for rare carry and mainly for hunting.

I'm not going to talk manufacturers as I don't see that as my place.  I'm happy with mine.  They were not extremely pricey, but not cheap.  Stay away from cheap.  Mine chew through ammo without problems, but I don't cheap out on the ammo either.  My wife doesn't have a CC permit, but that's fine.  She knows how to shoot, enjoys it and can take care of it.

Five years ago, she was attacked coming out of a Safeway.  The guy got her purse, cards, money.  That's all replaceable.  He broke her jam in two places.  She deals with headaches, arthritis, and jaw issues to some degree.  She is not vindictive towards her attacker, rather she let it go and that has helped her to move on.  She asked me to help her shoot.  Honestly, she shoots better than me with a couple of my guns.

You'll make the right choice because it's for you.
"We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as
impossible." - Vince Lombardi

Offline ryan8888

• Tracker
  • Groups: rokslide
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2015, 06:07:49 PM »
Check out the xds 45 by springfield

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline ryan8888