collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WPG - Wayfarer's Kennel  (Read 3449 times)

Offline aaronoto

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
WPG - Wayfarer's Kennel
« on: November 24, 2015, 06:57:15 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with Terri and Gerald Good and the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon pups out of Wayfarer's Kennel?  Just curious about the quality of pups they breed.

Thanks!

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: WPG - Wayfarer's Kennel
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 07:27:10 PM »
Get a wire hair from Jim lallas in acme. He's got good ones and has been breeding them for 30 years or so. Bigger gene pool in the wires and it's better than a griffon. My buddy's dad had a griffion,it like all the others I've seen work have been less than mediocre.This includes a fellow locally who bred griffon and was part of the griffon club.

Offline Tafinder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • Is for losers
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 10:54:13 PM »
No expierence with wayfarers kennel... But in my expierence WPG's are good pick for a close working bird dog! All the Griff's I've been around have also had pleasant personalities & enjoyed spending time with their family! My Best Wishes!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 09:46:08 AM by Tafinder »

Offline constructeur

• Hunter
  • Groups: NAVHDA
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 09:04:47 AM »
Wayfarers is a solid kennel. I've seen a couple of their dogs test in the NAVHDA system. The Goods(Terri and Gerry) focus on a versatile dog, so the pup you'd get would be well suited for either field or water work.

Griffs are kind of hard to pin down in the PNW, lots of folks have them or enjoy them, but there aren't any established kennels up here; just back yard breeders or folks that may have good breeding stock, but only have a litter ever 2 or 3 years.

Best of luck on your search  :tup:

Offline aaronoto

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 12:05:56 PM »
Thanks!  I'm actually picking up a pup from Wayfarer's tomorrow, they had someone back out of a pup from their most recent litter.  From all the research I had done and after speaking with Terri and Gerald I feel good about the quality of dogs they are putting out.

As for the WPG - yes there are better pointing breeds and yes there are better retrieving breeds but I wanted a versatile dog that could do it all well enough and at the end of the day still be a great family dog.  For me and my family, the griff fit that bill, and as an added bonus I think they look awesome!

Unfortunately, my nights of restful sleep have just ended.  :chuckle:

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 08:15:17 AM »
Take some towels along and get the scent from littermates and mother. Install in crate. Great trick that works 

Offline ribka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 06:50:58 PM »
Good luck with the wpg.

I picked up one last year. You'll be busy first year. They're a hoot. I am very happy with mine and I have had a number of different breeds over the past 40 years.

I made sure to socialize her, after all of her shots, with as many dogs, cats, horses etc and people

Very good , even tempered house dog and a very good hunting drive and very intelligent. can take her everywhere. fly fishing, hiking, road trips etc

She does well on upland, waterfowl, rabbits. She ranges out to about 50 to 100 yards, methodical quick to learn. They are a bit stubborn at times and will challenge you.

I picked her up out of Owyhee Kennels in Boise

Good luck

Offline hunter105

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Tracker
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 08:46:16 PM »
My WPG is 7 this year.  I hunt chukar, huns, pheasant and he is doing very well.  I hunt with a german shorthair quite a bit and my WPG is as good a pointer as the shorthair.  Yes the dog has to have natural ability but the training makes the difference of a good upland dog and a mediocre dog.

I think the key is to work the dog a lot in the first year and be consistent.  You will love your Griffon.

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 07:17:38 PM »
Dean Peterson raises griffs here in Rochester. I have seen the dogs around town and they look nice. My GWP came out of eastern Oregon and I could not be more happy.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal