collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Electronic squeakers  (Read 2926 times)

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
Electronic squeakers
« on: November 27, 2015, 08:40:42 AM »
Has any one used anything like this? Thoughts?  My concern is it would attract thieves as well. I have an old trapping video from tom Miranda that shows one that only plays while it's dark, which would help with that but I can't seam to find one that only plays while it's dark?  Is it even worth looking in to?
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Trapper John

• Sourdough
  • Groups: Life member of: WSTA, NTA, ITA, NRA also member of FTA, F4WM
Re: Electronic squeakers
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 09:37:55 AM »
I used them years ago both for cats and coyotes with some success.
If your away from the public I would use them but if your close to the public I say don't put them out.  Noise attracts all like on four and two legged critters.  I have several sitting in my shop that I might be interested in selling if you need or want.
JC   :hello:

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 11:18:47 AM »
I have used them.  I had the ones that would play when it was dark.  I wouldn't waste money on them again.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline ouchfoss

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 11:10:43 PM »
Last year I did a little experimenting with a mini all in one mp3 player. I first set up two different mp3 files that were each an hour long. One was total silence and the other was a shrieking baby cottontail. I had to edit that file so the decibles were really faint ( that way to save on battery life). I would then make ten copies of the silent file and fourteen copies of the bunny file and then set it up so that you start on the silent files during the daytime and then play into the shrieking files during the nighttime. I would get about 30 hours of continuous playback so it would work out perfect for 24 hour checks. I had some beaver chunks in my cage as well but after trying this whole setup for a week without catching any fur, I can't say whether there was an advantage to it or not. Seems like a good idea for cats and it might be a difference maker as far as making the cage shy ones actually enter but I had no success in an area I know had cats. I might try it again this year when I get ready to start going after cats in January.

Offline Trapper John

• Sourdough
  • Groups: Life member of: WSTA, NTA, ITA, NRA also member of FTA, F4WM
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 09:30:03 AM »
If you do try it again, put a trail camera up to see if it attracts any wildlife.
If it attracts cats than you will see whether it shy's away or what it does.
JC   :hello:

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 10:17:11 AM »
I like ouchfoss's idea but one thing I've learned about predator calling is  they can get bored of a sound rather quickly sometimes.  Cats often sneak up on a sound/ critter in distress.  They normally come in slow and cautious and if listening to the same thing over and over they loose interst. This maybe the reason the squeakers never impressed anyone with good results :dunno:  I may play with this idea, I have a ton of distress sounds! Many of which I have made. Maybe start with mouse squeaks then after 10 min switch to rodent or gopher ect. 

I have been putting a cam on my cat set and did have a large raccoon check it out but wasn't what it wanted I guess. 
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 11:30:15 AM »
One thing that I do want to try on a bobcat set is crow sounds above the trap.  Like crows feeding if there is such a thing.  This obviously would be sounds during the daylight.  But I have read that predators will come in to crow sounds.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline ouchfoss

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 01:45:07 PM »
I like ouchfoss's idea but one thing I've learned about predator calling is  they can get bored of a sound rather quickly sometimes.  Cats often sneak up on a sound/ critter in distress.  They normally come in slow and cautious and if listening to the same thing over and over they loose interst. This maybe the reason the squeakers never impressed anyone with good results :dunno:  I may play with this idea, I have a ton of distress sounds! Many of which I have made. Maybe start with mouse squeaks then after 10 min switch to rodent or gopher ect. 

I have been putting a cam on my cat set and did have a large raccoon check it out but wasn't what it wanted I guess.
I had something similar to that for my shriek sound. It started with a thirty second series then it would go quiet for a full minute then start up again for about a full minute and that was my file looped over enough times to fill one full hour. I still think it would catch more cats than without but is it worth the time and effort to switch out callers and batteries that often?  :dunno:

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 09:40:14 PM »

I had something similar to that for my shriek sound. It started with a thirty second series then it would go quiet for a full minute then start up again for about a full minute and that was my file looped over enough times to fill one full hour. I still think it would catch more cats than without but is it worth the time and effort to switch out callers and batteries that often?  :dunno:
you make a good point with the battery's

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter