collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: My "Trophy" late season buck  (Read 5983 times)

Offline passing-thru

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
My "Trophy" late season buck
« on: November 27, 2015, 02:58:45 PM »
I get up at 0 dark 30 and head for a stand on a friends property that several nice bucks had been showing up on cameras. Get settled in and at first light several does come in. they meander around area for several moments and then become kinda skittish, glance down the hill that they had come up. I figure that there must be something making then skittish, and hope it’s one of the bucks. As they wander off I began scanning the hill below me and sure enough, I see a respectable buck following same trail the does had come up. He finally made his way to within range and stops to feed, his vitals obscured by a group of 3 small trees. He feeds around for what seemed like forever, never quite giving me a lane. Finally I can take it no more and start forming plan. My blind is simple 12 ft sections of camouflage burlap hung between a group of trees; it is open at both ends. I decide that I can sneak out the end and get the shot I needed. :bdid: Not gonna happen. As I clear end of blind that would give me the opening I need, I see 3 deer that had feed down from above and behind me that I had not noticed while concentrating on the buck. I’m now in open and am being stared down. The inevitable foot stomp and snort comes, and its game over. I head back to truck, kicking self for not being patient and costing myself a deer. I go into town for Thanksgiving dinner, the whole time feeling down.  After a great time with family and friends, we head home. My wife notices I’m kinda down, and ask "You’re thinking about this morning huh?" Oh she knows me so well. She tells me to just go ahead and head out again. (I had sworn that Thanksgiving I was all hers and kids and would stay home after morning hunt.) I ask if she sure and grab my gear. As I’m headed out door my 9 yr old daughter comes up and asks if she can come. At first I am hesitant; this is my last trip out for a week. I relent and tell her "Grab warmest coat, it’s gonna get cold" we load up after grabbing a bucket so she wouldn't have to sit on grown. On way to woods we talk about all things under the sun. Christmas, Ninja Turtles, and friends at school. We see some deer in and field on drive up and say loudly yells "DEER!!!" I tell her we can’t hunt there and that when we are hunting she will have to be much quieter if she sees something. We arrive at our spot and walk into where I plan to hunt. She helps me hang up the burlap between few trees and we settle in to wait. After about 25 min a few does wander in and begin to feed, I explain to her that we can’t shoot these, because they are not bucks. We watched them wander off about 100 yards and stop to feed some more. As I’m looking in different direction, she leans forward and tells me that another deer had joined them and they were headed back our way. I check it out and sure enough there is 4th deer. Another Doe...They approach again and I dismiss their presents telling Aislynn again that they wernt legal. After few minutes she again leaned forward and asked "Didn't you say you can shoot "Daddy" deer?" I tell her yes, and she says that one of the does has "horns"...I look closely, and sure enough one pof the deer is a small buck. She ask "Are we gonna get him" with excitement in eyes. I tell her if we get chance, that yes we would. A few min later he feeds into 38 yrds and gives me perfect broadside shot. I ease to standing and place arrow right behind shoulder. As he disappears into the trees aislynn is up and on feet. I explain that we need to give him some time and we set back down. She is now on edge of seat, hardly able to contain self. I felt very comfortable with placement so after about 15 min we start tracking. She finds bloody arrow and blood right away, I let her follow track, as the amount of blood, and foamy bright red arrow told me we didn't have far to go. 40 to 50 yards later we have my deer. I can honestly say I’ve never taken a better trophy. Sure, the bigger buck I blew chance on that morning would have looked better on wall and gave me bragging rights to buddies, but nothing compares to the pure look of joy in her eyes at that time. She’s hooked, and will be for life. Sorry about long post, but had to set stage
Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me
Genesis 27:3

I may not have alot but what I have I got honest.....

I'd rather be hated for what I am then be loved for what I'm not

Is it me, or are people getting dumber

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Re: My "Trophy" late season buck
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 03:02:20 PM »
Look at that smile on that little girls face....you had no choice....the decision was made for you. I'd do the same thing in a heartbeat. Nice job.

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 03:13:24 PM »
It just doesn't get any better than that. :tup:

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 03:21:32 PM »
I'd take that over a solo 4-point any day!  Congrats - consider mounting "her" deer's antlers on a plaque for her.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 03:40:23 PM »
Tell her it is an "11 point". She will be stoked. Nice work
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline passing-thru

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 04:01:26 PM »
I'd take that over a solo 4-point any day!  Congrats - consider mounting "her" deer's antlers on a plaque for her.

That's my plan. I'm going to do a euro on it and camo dip in a pink camo for her. Kinda like this one
Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me

Offline Vo2max

• Scout
  • Location: Mentally: in the woods. Physically: dreaming of the woods
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 08:02:19 PM »
Great work pops! I hope my now 3yr old will be into going out with me when she's a bit older. Keep up the good work.

Offline Ebell

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 08:12:24 PM »
Awesome story!  Thanks for sharing that.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 08:13:24 PM »
Great write up passing, my oldest girl got her first deer at 9 a good 3 point Blacktail. You need to get her in hunter safety ASAP, she us ready for hunting.  :tup:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline passing-thru

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 08:15:24 PM »
Great work pops! I hope my now 3yr old will be into going out with me when she's a bit older. Keep up the good work.

My 5 y/o boy has accompanied me on few hunts. He does pretty good, but still gets antsy after about an hour. Thinking next year he will have it down. I have 5 kids. 3 boys and 2 girls. My 2 oldest boys 2 and 5 love being with me. My 8 y/o girl has no interest, but 9 y/o loves it. This is first time I've harvested anything with one of them along. She's hooked  :tup:

Offline passing-thru

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 08:17:47 PM »
Great write up passing, my oldest girl got her first deer at 9 a good 3 point Blacktail. You need to get her in hunter safety ASAP, she us ready for hunting.  :tup:

Getting in this next year.

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 03:07:30 PM »
A true trophy hunt in my book. Great job dad on letting her go with you! when they show interest take advantage of it.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline Mark251

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 07:53:13 PM »
Great job, Dad!  The experience makes it a trophy in my opinion  :tup:

Offline JJD

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, DU
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 08:54:22 AM »
Way to include the young'uns  :tup:
Spent most of my $$ on huntin, fishin & retrievin dogs, the rest I just pretty much wasted.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 09:05:15 AM »

That's my plan. I'm going to do a euro on it and camo dip in a pink camo for her. Kinda like this one
Awesome!
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]