collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: brand new to PNW muzzloading  (Read 2814 times)

Offline kwalk15203

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
brand new to PNW muzzloading
« on: November 27, 2015, 06:50:02 PM »
sorry guys for the rookie questions but this is my year muzzleloader hunting in WA. I grew doing it in Mississippi where we used 209 primers and the 50 grain black powder pellets.

I have never even heard of the percussion caps or the musket caps till I got up here. well with that being said I wasn't certain on what to use. just going ahead and putting my set up out there.

im shooting a traditions evolution ld .50 cal
shooting hornady sabots, I think they're call shock waves or something like that
still using the hogdgon black powder pellets, 150 grains "3 pellets"
now to the confusing part. I have a nipple on there for a cap, I was using the 1075s by the German company I cant pronounce it, then I heard the CCI 11 mags were better so I got some of those. then I realized hunting acouple days ago the 1075 caps weren't fitting on the nipple snuggly, they would fall off and be laying in the open area next to the bolt. well then I noticed the 11 mags were doing the same thing. obviously   the nipple is to small. but I was in the field and didn't know what to do so I squeezed on the 11 cap alittle bit to make it more of a oval shape and jammed it on the nipple. seemed to stay on there just fine but was worried all day if it would even shoot it the opportunity came.

so im not sure what I should do, try to get another nipple? go get different caps? what caps would be the best???

any help on this guys would be awesome
thanks
"No fish has ever been caught on a dry hook and no deer has ever been killed in front of a TV -Kyle Walker"

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. -Clint Eastwood"

Offline Forrestrover.02

• Hunter
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=560513732
Re: brand new to PNW muzzloading
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 07:43:38 PM »
We've been using #10 percussion caps instead of #11. They stay nice and snugg on the nipple.

Offline Chukarhead

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 08:35:14 PM »
Go nipple shopping.   :o

I use musket caps, but understand that Magnum #11s are just as good or maybe better.  The cap should be very, very snug on the nipple.  I use keys or the back of my knife to pry/scrape them off the nipple after hunting.  If the caps are loose, you're just inviting moisture and other undesirables into your life, not to mention the possibility of a misfire or a non-fire because of poor positioning.

Offline MagKarl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 08:40:40 AM »
You also might want to try loose powder instead of pellets for more reliable ignition with caps.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
I bought real 4f black powder and this little tool that lets out like 3 grains at a time for a pre charge on the pyrodex pellets. So drop a little 4f down (3/5 grains) then your pellets on top. Just as a safety net for weak spark. I saw this guy online do it so I got the idea.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 11:26:31 AM »
Get a bigger nipple.
The more fire you get through the hole, the better.
You really need a tight fit to help ignition and keep moisture out.  :twocents:
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline shorthair15

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 04:54:06 PM »
use the german rws caps or the cci magnum number 11's it should be a tight fit. use triple seven loose powder 3f. ive hunted muzzie for a long time. i have a traditional gun and a inline. pellets absorb moisture over time. i remember i tried shooting some triple seven pellets after the season the following year before the season started they came out of the barrel like tracer's. use loose powder. i know which gun you are useing but i dont have one. the number 11 will work good to keep out moisture ive used musket caps as well. but use a number 11 now. good luck, there are some big bucks on fort lewis i would hunt there shot my first buck on the base a 3x3. where you are from it would be a 6 point. i was on a 4x4 before i got this one of the biggest blacktail bucks i have ever seen. check the regs i  think the game unit on the base is any deer for muzzie late season check the reg's to make sure.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:32:25 PM by shorthair15 »
Member of the NRA,GOA and Washington For Wildlife.NWTF member Disabled US NAVY Veteran 6/2/90 to 6/2/99 3 Good Conduct Medals, and 3 Honorable Discharges, 2 german shorthairs, tikka 6.5 creedmor,Remington 300 ULTRAMAG, GLOCK 22. Elk,Deer and upland birds and love Fishing

Offline kwalk15203

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 06:14:53 PM »
thanks for the info man, yeah late muzzy is any deer but theyre not opening up any of the ranges right now  :dunno:  got to do with range control and the end of pheasant season?? idk. but im hunting down by skook in 667 for elk and deer
"No fish has ever been caught on a dry hook and no deer has ever been killed in front of a TV -Kyle Walker"

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. -Clint Eastwood"

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 06:59:38 PM »
Go nipple shopping.   :o

I use musket caps, but understand that Magnum #11s are just as good or maybe better.  The cap should be very, very snug on the nipple.  I use keys or the back of my knife to pry/scrape them off the nipple after hunting.  If the caps are loose, you're just inviting moisture and other undesirables into your life, not to mention the possibility of a misfire or a non-fire because of poor positioning.

Had that happen twice on my sheep this year.   :yike:

I've never had a problem with my gun before this year, not sure why the #11s seem bigger now.   :dunno:  Aren't the #10's designed for revolvers?  Might have to try them.

Offline scudmaster

• Scout
  • Aim Small, Miss Small!
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 07:18:14 PM »
When is it wet out, I also use clear nail polish or primer sealer on the nipple (careful not to get it on the inside) and then put the musket cap on.  Dries in place and stays on, but can still be easily removed with a knife etc.  Also helps keep moisture out.  Based on the design of your breech plug, you may need a different nipple. I use the TC flame thrower as I have a deep breech plug and needed more throw in the flash to ignite the back of the pellets.  Lastly, I use plumbers teflon tape in the breech plug threads to seal the water out.  Keeps the powder dry.
NRA Life Member
WA Wild Sheep Life Member
Snoqualmie Elk Mgmt Group
RMEF Member
BHA Member
Blue Lives Matter

Offline DeerThug

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 07:27:50 PM »
You might try taking the nipple off and taking a file and real easy take a few strokes off the end a few at a time until you take the small diameter off to a little bigger until the cap stays on snug  once you get a custom fit you are good to go for years to come....  works with #11 or musket caps... just figure out what works best with your set up
Shoot straight Shoot often

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 07:44:56 PM »
You might try taking the nipple off and taking a file and real easy take a few strokes off the end a few at a time until you take the small diameter off to a little bigger until the cap stays on snug  once you get a custom fit you are good to go for years to come....  works with #11 or musket caps... just figure out what works best with your set up

That's a good idea, just have to make sure to keep the striking surface flat to the hammer.  Probably not a problem with an inline though.

Offline shorthair15

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 09:21:40 PM »
alot of deer in the skookumchuck unit. do you have a access pass for the tree farm? im assuming not i think they sold out in the first 15 minutes. keep trying to find a area on the base that's open a ton of deer in there. i use to hunt it alot when i was in the naval reserve. i did 10 yrs active and did a little time in the reserve before i moved on to civilian life. if you have any questions let me know i can probably help. ive hunted elk and deer in this state since i was 12 yrs. old. i hunt down in sw washington now and out towards the coast. good luck to ya.
Member of the NRA,GOA and Washington For Wildlife.NWTF member Disabled US NAVY Veteran 6/2/90 to 6/2/99 3 Good Conduct Medals, and 3 Honorable Discharges, 2 german shorthairs, tikka 6.5 creedmor,Remington 300 ULTRAMAG, GLOCK 22. Elk,Deer and upland birds and love Fishing

Offline kwalk15203

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 10:13:39 PM »
thanks man, this is my second year hunting in WA. been up here for almost 4 years in the air force special forces so when I have the time I try to get out or just take leave like I did the next two weeks. Ive seen plenty of deer on base from just training and other things but really want a elk too that's why im hunting down by the skookumchuck. I hunted the Gifford pichot last year and ran into a monster bull but its just hard to drove 2 and half hours and spend acouple nights by myself out there. but just trying to get a consistency with what I got now so hopefully I run into something out there and at least see if my gun goes off 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal