collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Bowhunter, New to Hunting Wetside  (Read 2205 times)

Offline JosefAbrams

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
New Bowhunter, New to Hunting Wetside
« on: November 27, 2015, 09:30:08 PM »
I'll be both new to bow hunting, and new to hunting on the west side of Washington next season.

I haven't hunted in probably 10 years, since moving to Seattle. Looking on advise on some locations to start with. I'm not looking to be spoon fed; just looking for a starting point. I'm more than willing to do all the work.

I've head good things about Black Tails in Kitsap Valley, and tiny White Tales in the islands, but would like o get a little more specific.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: New Bowhunter, New to Hunting Wetside
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 10:50:43 PM »
There are deer everywhere. Imo you just need to do some scouting and get to know an area. Spend a bunch of time getting to know an area. Read Boyd Iversons blacktail trophy tactics 2 and burn some boot leather. Use the Go Hunt feature on wdfw site to narrow down an area. Likely your first year your gona be scouting with your weapon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Shooting Stix

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 12:26:59 PM »
Look into the coast such as the southwest corner, Winston, skookumchuck there is elk and deer there. A bear or cougar if you are lucky

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 01:16:25 PM »
tiny White Tales in the islands
You mean Blacktails, you mess with any whitetail in western Washington, you will learn a VERY important lesson :yike:

Check harvest statistics, use GoHunt, Google Earth, and Washington Atlas and Gazetteer.
Find a good spot and learn it thoroughly.
Blacktails don't have large home ranges (normally) and are difficult to pattern.
If you find a spot with lots of sign, the more time you can spend there, the more your chance of success.
You never know when they will get up out of the blackberry thicket and show themselves, I see them in my backyard a lot during the middle of the day.
Most of the time I just know they are there, eating my apple trees and other plants during the night.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline huntingbaldguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 06:03:11 AM »
If you're only hunting archery and not getting multi season, you have to catch blacktails in early season in their daily routine, or near their bedding areas, especially the big boys.  They do pattern but the question is can you pattern them and find where they are in daylight.  With does you can get lucky at times and get them wandering in in daylight hours to a blind or stand.  If you can hunt end of October, you can bait the bucks in though.  If you find the does you will find where they will be for the last week of October.  Put a cam up and find the does with apples and corn and throw in a molasses block.  Does and fawns love the blocks.  Acquire private land to bait.  Can be a buzzkill to get gear stolen, trust me.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal