• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Swans
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 06:53:39 PM »
I think its goi g to be hard to get one. We have several hurdles. The main argument is that hunters cannot tell the difference between kinds of swans. Not a very good argument but the closest comparable is the dusky goose in sw wa.  The second major hurdle is the pacific flyway rules can only be changed if we can get California's and Oregon's game agencies to go along with it.  We cannot even get a seperate bag limit for mergansers like the other flyways. In order to controll cornmerants the usfw has to kill them on the lower Columbia instead of opening a season.

Additionally there would be a lot of upset bird watchers who would fight it tooth and nail. Likely with the aide of the Audubon society.  They have make life hard on lots of Falconeers.

So likely never...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

USDA Actually pays guys to shoot a limited number of Cormerants and Seagulls at the dams

I know one of the guys that does some of the shooting of Gulls for the USDA. Started the hell out of the fishermen around! He did get a few thumbs up also.   I just find it wasteful that we are paying for some of this instead of just opening hunting season with some kind of limit. I know lots of people that wouldnt shoot them. Me I might hang up my "hunting" for gulls, cormorants, mergansers, crows, magpies, coyotes and wolves!
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Skyhigh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 06:54:11 AM »
There are 28 types of gull species in North America. Gulls are no doubt some of the hardest birds to easily identify. The plumage of the juveniles of different species takes from three to four years to achieve an adult plumage. Some of the gull types have a non-breeding and a breeding plumage that change throughout the seasons. To make this even more challenging, gulls cross-breed with other types of gulls, forming hybrids that reflect the looks and characteristics of each of the parent birds. Then there are Tern species that every armchair biologist considers a " seagull"

Let's keep the professionals doing the depredation instead of some neandertol with a 12 gauge.
WE ARE NOT RELATED !!!

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 08:48:50 AM »
The "gulls" referred to may be Caspian Terns.  Different birds.

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 09:16:29 AM »
I shot several back in Utah when they used to issue 2,000 permits per year. (drawing only).  Kinda weird when they come out of the sky, you almost expect to see someone jump out with a parachute on.  If you got a young one (still with lots of gray feathering) they weren't too bad eating-bugger to pick though and the meat was very, very dark.  Older ones were very tough eating and very difficult to pick.  Guess they congregate and stay where there is an abundance of sego pond lilies. Couple of refuges in Utah get as many as 30,000-40,000  congregated on them when they are in peak migration. 

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 09:16:45 AM »
Those look like Albino Geese to me....  :chuckle:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 09:19:06 AM »
I've scene 6 different swans shot on Fir Island over the past 9 years from guys thinking they were snow geese.  I can only imagine what would happen if they opened that season.  They would have to require some sort of ID course for those applying.
It's unfortunate but you can't legislate common sense or discriminate against stupidity.  You can and should prosecute wrongdoing.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 02:04:11 PM »
I think its goi g to be hard to get one. We have several hurdles. The main argument is that hunters cannot tell the difference between kinds of swans. Not a very good argument but the closest comparable is the dusky goose in sw wa.  The second major hurdle is the pacific flyway rules can only be changed if we can get California's and Oregon's game agencies to go along with it.  We cannot even get a seperate bag limit for mergansers like the other flyways. In order to controll cornmerants the usfw has to kill them on the lower Columbia instead of opening a season.

Additionally there would be a lot of upset bird watchers who would fight it tooth and nail. Likely with the aide of the Audubon society.  They have make life hard on lots of Falconeers.

So likely never...

USDA Actually pays guys to shoot a limited number of Cormerants and Seagulls at the dams

I know one of the guys that does some of the shooting of Gulls for the USDA. Started the hell out of the fishermen around! He did get a few thumbs up also.   I just find it wasteful that we are paying for some of this instead of just opening hunting season with some kind of limit. I know lots of people that wouldnt shoot them. Me I might hang up my "hunting" for gulls, cormorants, mergansers, crows, magpies, coyotes and wolves!
My Grandpa does it just for something to do and to help defray the costs of hunting and fishing gear.
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 07:05:34 PM »
Mergansers?  Yuck fish ducks!

Hence the reason for the once additional 5 mergie limit.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 07:14:59 PM »
Mergansers?  Yuck fish ducks!

Have you ever even tried one?  This is just as stupid as saying pink salmon out of the salt aren't even fit for dog food.   :bash:

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 07:34:06 PM »
There is a big difference between Killing as part of your job then killing because of the blood lust.

What message does it send to those that don't hunt and are on the fence when hunters want to kill a bird that has just recently been brought back from the brink?  I remember when the Swans numbers were in the double digits in this state.  Just giving the antis more ammunition. :twocents:

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2015, 07:48:56 PM »
In other states, taking a swan on a permit is not seen any different than shooting geese.  There are a lot of tundra swans in the central flyway and limited hunting is not an issue.  It's only here on the Left coast do you find such animosity about legal harvest.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2015, 07:57:35 PM »
Could it be possible? You bet. Is it very likely even with lots of effort? Not so much.

I think the best thing we could do for salmon is a seperate merganser limit and cornmerant hunting but we cant seem to make that happen.

:yeah:
Agree 100%

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter