collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help for the Weekend - Wet Side Muzzy Elk/Deer  (Read 4287 times)

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Help for the Weekend - Wet Side Muzzy Elk/Deer
« on: December 09, 2015, 01:15:05 PM »
Alright, its the last weekend of the late season muzzy for elk and deer.

I've spent time in Idaho and WA this year chasing elk around.  I scouted hard, hunted hard, and still came up empty.  Now we've arrived at the season I didn't prepare for and have never participated in.

I know where deer are in general, so thats my back up plan.  I'd really like to find a place to have a shot at some elk.

Looking at the units that are still open for elk 407, 448, 454, 564, 666, 684d.  These look like the "if you know exactly where to go you have a small chance" units.  407 maybe way up north.  448... a snowballs chance on the edges of the unit.  I know theres a LITTLE bit of land in 454 that may be huntable if I can find access.  564 I know nothing about, 666 doesn't look like it has a lot of real opportunity except in the very southwest part of the unit, but I have zero experience there.  However harvest reports make it look like animals are there.  684 I'm ruling out because I dont know anyone in long beach. 

The units with 3pt or better restrictions probably hold more animals overall, but I largely know nothing about them.  601, 618, 651, 658, 667.   Most of these are out on the penninsula.  I'm not sure I want to head all the way out there for units I dont know about.  I speculate 618 probably has some opportunity, but I'm sure the Quinaults have been hunting those for months as well.  651 is a new addition this year, not sure if there's a permit required to get in there or if elk traditionally live there.  658 is territory i'm more familiar with, but not since access permits became a thing. 667 is huge.

Harvest reports don't show which season success came in, but 651 looks like modern folks had okay success and the new muzzy season might not be bad.  Same for 658.

So, riddle me this.  If I have no access permits, is my time best spent looking in 454 (Issaquah), 666 (Deschutes), 667 (Skookumchuck), 658 (North River)... one of the others?

I know that someone has scouted this and doesn't prefer to share.  I don't need a spot and dont mind doing research, but if someone might PM me a general unit that has access for someone with no timber passes or dissuade me from going some place I can't get in, it'd help.

I know you're not supposed to ask this kind of question on here, but you can't get anything if you dont ask.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Help for the Weekend - Wet Side Muzzy Elk/Deer
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 01:23:02 PM »
PM sent.

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 01:27:47 PM »
Not the only one looking at tag soup.  :dunno:

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 01:29:29 PM »
Can't be any worse than your last outing....just not sure if you can talk D-Rock into tagging along this time.

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 01:31:30 PM »
684d isn't open for ML elk just deer. I called.

Offline Goldeneye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • One shot One Kill
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 01:38:10 PM »
Seems to me I remember your report from Smith Creek.  Didn't you pass on a 30 yard shot on a bull the first day of the season? 

Remember the old saying.  Don't pass up on the first day what you would take on the last day...

Don't be picky if you happen to see another legal.

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 01:44:20 PM »
Seems to me I remember your report from Smith Creek.  Didn't you pass on a 30 yard shot on a bull the first day of the season? 

Remember the old saying.  Don't pass up on the first day what you would take on the last day...

I did pass a 30 yard shot on a raghorn on the first day.  I had probably a week of scouting in at the unit and had seen a LOT of animals.  I had other opportunities as well and chose to pass.  Some animals just aren't worth hauling out of a hole 4-5 miles on your back along with a camp when you're sick.  Its a choice I would make again every time. 

A couple of miles from a gate on a forest road is an entirely different game.  Any legal animal is fair game in that realm.

It also boils down to what would've made me happy.  A raghorn at Smith Creek would've been a disappointment for me, especially on day one.  A raghorn in a general season unit would feel exceptional.  Just the way my world works for some reason.

Offline Goldeneye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • One shot One Kill
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 01:53:20 PM »

I did pass a 30 yard shot on a raghorn on the first day.  I had probably a week of scouting in at the unit and had seen a LOT of animals.  I had other opportunities as well and chose to pass.  Some animals just aren't worth hauling out of a hole 4-5 miles on your back along with a camp when you're sick.  Its a choice I would make again every time. 

A couple of miles from a gate on a forest road is an entirely different game.  Any legal animal is fair game in that realm.

It also boils down to what would've made me happy.  A raghorn at Smith Creek would've been a disappointment for me, especially on day one.  A raghorn in a general season unit would feel exceptional.  Just the way my world works for some reason.

Sounds good.  At that time you were a horn hunter.  Now, your a meat hunter.  I understand. 

Good Luck, these elk have been getting pushed since September between the 3 hunting methods so getting one might be tough.  If my unit was open for late ML I would offer help.  It just has an early season.  Sorry. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 03:33:37 PM by Goldeneye »

Offline jbeaumont21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 03:08:35 PM »
Great question, would like to know the same and how it goes for you.  We spent the last 3 days in the Stella unit and did not see an elk. Seemed like everyone in SW Washington that still had a tag was in there hunting and it was difficult to find a stretch of timber or spur road that wasn't occupied by a hunter. I can add it to my list of units to never hunt again. However I think I may have said that the last time I was in there about 5 years ago.

The only bit of info I can add is from my own experience of hunting in the Skook (667), North River (658) and Battle Ground (564), and of those 3 units I would have to suggest North River as that is the only unit where I actually saw an elk and lots of elk poop.  We were in the SE corner of the unit on Weyco land. This was about 3 years ago so I cannot comment on if it is still free to hunt or not.  The Skook is quite large and I'm sure it has a couple elk in it, but all I remember is it being a very frustrating experience and told myself never again. Also I remember stopping in at a local store on my way out and the owner commenting that their were very few elk in the Skook, wish I had talked to him before I spent the whole day marching around in the unit. As for the Battle Ground, don't waste your time.

It's unfortunate our late ML season has been depleted to (in my opinion) less than desirable units to hunt.  I have a lot of great memories of hunting in the Coweeman during the late season which have had been a wonderful tradition for our family and it pains me knowing that it is now gone.   

I guess the best thing to remember is that any day in the woods is better than a day at work.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Offline floatinghat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 07:07:40 PM »
pm sent

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman