collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New hunter with Son wanting to start hunting in 2016  (Read 20539 times)

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: New hunter with Son wanting to start hunting in 2016
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 12:52:53 PM »
Yes he will need the license to put in for permits.  So for this year no permits but the odds of drawing a permit are pretty slim with only one point anyways.

Good news is he is 13 and that makes him a youth. There are a bunch of units that are open during the general season for youth to take does.  Take him on one of those and I am sure even with the pumpkin patch you will see lots of deer and have an opportunity at a deer for him.

Also the units that are open for youth to take does during the general season seem to have less pressure/hunter density than some of the other areas.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 12:58:58 PM »
Make sure to get him out hunting grouse in September.  Also, you should look into going out of state for some good success on deer to really put the hunting bug in him.  I recommend looking into Wyoming, where you could get several anterless tags and have virtually 100% chance at success.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2016, 01:56:44 PM »
Thanks for the info and ideas!

WY, if I remember it right they require all out of state hunters to hire a licensed guide?  That combined with tag price would put it well out of my reach financially at least right now.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2016, 02:13:39 PM »
No guide necessary in Wyoming. At least not in the areas that you can get cheap antlrless tags.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Buckhunter28

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Buckhunter28
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2016, 07:58:26 PM »
I have to agree with Bob33, the .308 should be fine for him.  My second deer was with a .308 at age 13, and I was on the smaller side, though it was a semi-auto. But as mentioned, reduce recoil loads are common and would be a good starting point for him.

Other than maybe being on the heavy side, I also think that the big game legal ARs would be an acceptable alternative.

I have to agree as well, I took my first deer when I was 12 with a .308 and normal loads, so he he should be able to handle it

Offline Smoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Skouckum Archery
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2016, 12:01:50 PM »
If recoil and crowds are a problem for your son, ya might think Black Powder... What I did with my 10 yr old grandson... he should be able to handle any of the 50's out there and they more push hard rather then kick, and the crowds will be less (tho there seem to be more every year)... as for field dressing/cleaning your kills... best way to learn is by doing... my first big game a buddy watched as he told me the process and after one it was easy... to help with the squeamish part, maybe start him on small game... rabbits, coyotes, birds... process is pretty much the same on a smaller scale, and less blood so maybe he won't puke as much the first few times... after he does a few, then the big ones don't seem as gross...

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2016, 02:13:33 PM »
Thanks guys!!  Gives me lots to work with.

Offline police women of America

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2016, 01:10:14 PM »
I'm a new hunter myself too. I also started learning to hunt by myself at 12 which means I got the all the best ways to learn for new hunters. I personally  have a .308 11/111 Savage Youth bolt action rifle. It's a great rifle with just enough kick to look cool. It also is enough caliber to take down any deer or elk at an affordable price. But it really depends on what caliber your son will feel comfortable shooting. Now for skinning, gutting, and even tanning hides I HIGHLY recommend going on YouTube and searching, "Richard Smith How To Gut A Deer". Have your son watch that video until he can tell you how to gut a deer backwards. It is definitely the best deer gutting video I have ever seen, Richard explains it very well and there's no shaky camera work. You may even want to make him a little "hunting guide" with a couple important things he should remember. What also will really help is take him scouting. Just go out before hunting season and hike as fare as you can go with all your hunting gear (bringing your rifle isn't required). Almost like your going hunting, walk slow thru the woods be quit and listen. But also be sure to show him things along the way like scat and rubs. That way he gets more familiar with deer signs. Good luck and if you have anymore questions feel free to PM me :tup:
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline bear hunter

• BEAR HUNTER
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Union SheetMetal Worker 66- welder fab/WCO TRAPPER
    • Danny A Alvarez
  • Groups: WCW, RMEF, DU, BassMasters, WSTA, and Union Sportsmen's Alliaance
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2016, 10:44:39 PM »
 :tup: great info for him. I had to learn by my self reading books and VHS tapes. New hunters have a leg up these days. I just want to say. Go east to Republic your son can take a Whitetail doe. Very easy hunt and like one member said. You guys can learn together. There is also a butcher in Curlew, Wa and he would show you how to gut your first deer. Page's Domestic & Wild Game #509-779-4519. You just load the deer whole in your truck and head to his place. He will either show you or guide thru gutting and skinning you for a small fee.
Boar looking for Sow to hunt with. LOL

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU