collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Which Calls for East Side and Central Cascades Coyotes?  (Read 4972 times)

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Which Calls for East Side and Central Cascades Coyotes?
« on: December 16, 2015, 11:02:38 PM »
I'm interested in trying my hand a coyote hunting, and I'd prefer to start at least with non-electric calls to avoid the cost of those units and also polish my predator calling skills for black bear.

I have an RR Calls closed reed distress call, do I need an open reed or a howler?

Also curious about how long a calling stand out to be? For bears I try to call for 45 minutes, but what about coyotes?

Any other tips?

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Which Calls for East Side and Central Cascades Coyotes?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 10:16:18 AM »
I'd say no for the time being.  Get a open read when you have time to practice with it before using it.  Same with a howler.  Talk to RR I'm sure that some of his open reeds will double as a howler.

Tips

Enter a stand quietly using the wind to prevent contaminating your calling area,

Stay as still aß possible on the stand, sweeping the area with slow turns of your head not swiveling around.

To start leave the binoculars home it is just too much movement on a stand, coyotes are big you càn either see them coming a very long way with your bare eyes or they will be in you face b fore you ever knew they were there.

Use every stand to learn by .

Coyotes make deer look dumb, you can get away with alot of stuff with a deer that you won't with a coyote.  Better nose, better eyes and they get hunted year round with no limits including night hunting with lights.  If we allowed  that with deer you would just about eliminate them.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 10:29:40 AM »
How long to stay on a stand.  If I can see a long way and nothing is moving after 15 or 20 min I pull the plug on the stand in rolling count4y or heavy cover I will stay longer, up to 45 min.  I've walked baçk to a stand to pick up forgotten gear ànd have found coyotes sniffing around where the caller had been placed, needless to say I didn't learn the first time and left the rifle back at the truck to save weight on the hike back to the stand seçond time thinking a coyote coming into a call that late was a fluke.  If I stayed longer it might never have come so for me how long to stay on a stand is pretty much a gut feeling depending on the stand.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline Clearcut

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 11:05:42 AM »
Don't know if you listen to Podcast much but the " Rich Outdoor Podcast" not to long ago episode 35 went over all the answer your looking for and some. Hope it helps

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 04:23:00 PM »
AWS nailed it, I like to have binos in the car though!!LOL If it is REALLY  cold you might want two calls in case one freezes up.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 05:18:24 PM »
Sorry I said home on the binos.  I use them to glass some stuff before heading out, every once in a while you can spot one out there and make a stalk on it and get within range for a shot.  I never take them on a stand with me.

Don't be afraid to call in the cover instead of trying to call them out of it, the action can be interesting to say the least,  I carry a combo gun because in some of the places there isn't even time to switch guns.  I had coyotes sit down next to me, a fox jump in my lap, a coyote stick his head up over a snow drift between my BinL's feet, jump over my partners legs, twice jump up and rip the caller out of a bush, calling them in close is as big a rush you can get with your clothes on.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 05:28:34 PM »
Bobcats could show up when you're calling too. Sneaky little rascals, so be on the lookout on brush lines..
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 04:41:50 PM »

Don't know if you listen to Podcast much but the " Rich Outdoor Podcast" not to long ago episode 35 went over all the answer your looking for and some. Hope it helps

I listen to a lot of podcasts, I'll check that one out - thanks!

And thanks to everyone else for the feedback - good stuff here.

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 07:24:34 PM »
I ordered up two different open reed howlers from RR Calls today so I'll have some time to practice with them before my next chance to get out and use them in early January.

Offline Savage.06Shot

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 10:50:13 PM »
Just gonna speak from exp...being a second year pread hunter I have been on stands for hrs and never seen anything. And when I'm on a stand that is active it takes a max of 30 min open terrain or timber. I sat on a stand with a few friends and within ten mins of calling had 3 yotes came in within 10-20 yards. My very first yote by myself I was only on the stand 30 mins and bagged mine there is a fine line with coyote hunting I'm not sure if the trick is calls they have never heard or electric cause I've used both and have had little success but I'm addicted cause it's so hard. On my spare time I'm watching and listening to veterans online. As far as tips I'd say don't scimp on recon or scouting this is where I failed. My goal for 2016 is more coyote scouting.

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 02:51:48 PM »
Interesting, I do very little scouting other than to map out a day of places I want to hit.  I like to hunt new places all the time and just log the really good places if I have to put a person on a coyotes.  That way I learn a lot of new places by hunting them.

I pick an area of the state I want to hunt and pour over the maps and double check that the land is public and layout a logical route through the area that will put me on the downwind side of the land I want to access.  Most of my scouting is done in my home before I leave or in the truck at night.  My truck has public lands maps on my GPS for the 10 western states I hunt, public lands maps in books I've put together for each state and a wireless wifi hotspot so I can access county auditor land maps for current land ownership.

Cold calling new areas to me is a lot more fun than hitting the same spots over and over.  If there is cover that will hold coyote food there is a very good chance that there are coyotes there.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 03:10:12 PM »
When I first started calling I went to places that me and my friends thought "looked" like coyotes, or "good" spots. After failing I started hunting like hunting deer or elk, scout/track,  it is a waste of time to call where there is no population.
If you cannot find scat/tracks etc, do not call there. SCOUT, I call old favorites, new sites, all over. BUT I look for sign first
My feeling is I do not think a coyote knows a squirrel from a rabbit distress or a few birds or domestics, distress is the key, easy food. Howling and pup distress are different.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 04:07:52 PM »
In this state with no trapping or dogs allowed it is pretty tough to find a place that doesn't have coyote tracks and scat if there is coyote food and cover available.  Now Utah with their $50 bounty, trapping, everybody and there brother driving the roads shooting everything that moves for bounty money plus arial gunning , the coyote population can be tough to find at times near populated areas.

Make mine a Minaska

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal