collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Colville Antelope  (Read 35451 times)

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
Re: Colville Antelope
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2016, 05:21:28 PM »
Seriously, who in their right mind would turn the antelope loose in the middle of the worst winter we've had for years in the middle of nowhere in 2ft of snow in country where there are several fences?? :dunno:  More power to their efforts if they want to reintroduce the lopes there, but at least give a little better thought and have a little better place .....at least for the animals sake. :twocents:

Offline buglebrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2016, 01:57:35 PM »
I was thinking of the agricultural area around Moses Lake. Not really suitable for antelope. And where there are cattle there are fences, which antelope don't do well with.

But it sure will be interesting to see how much they spread. Hopefully I live long enough to see the first hunting season for antelope in Washington.

Really wonder what you are talking about with fences?  Everywhere I've seen Antelope there has been lots of ranching and fences.   :dunno:

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2016, 02:01:08 PM »
Maybe wolves will be beneficial for mule deer too- I hear the wolves have been killing a lot of cougars.  :tup:

No.  Not even close.   :bdid:

Offline jkthomps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2016, 04:49:41 PM »
http://phys.org/news/2016-02-colville-tribes-risky-pronghorn-antelope.html

"The Washington State Game Department, which preceded the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, tried and failed three times to reintroduce pronghorn to Washington: once at the Yakima Training Center in the 1930s; in 1950 in Asotin County near Ritzville; and then again in 1968, with a release in Kittitas and Grant counties."

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-02-colville-tribes-risky-pronghorn-antelope.html#jCp

Was Asotin County near Ritzville in the 1950s? I don't recall Asotin County being close to Ritzville.

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2016, 04:58:52 PM »
Ooops.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2016, 10:45:20 AM »
http://phys.org/news/2016-02-colville-tribes-risky-pronghorn-antelope.html

"The Washington State Game Department, which preceded the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, tried and failed three times to reintroduce pronghorn to Washington: once at the Yakima Training Center in the 1930s; in 1950 in Asotin County near Ritzville; and then again in 1968, with a release in Kittitas and Grant counties."

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-02-colville-tribes-risky-pronghorn-antelope.html#jCp

Was Asotin County near Ritzville in the 1950s? I don't recall Asotin County being close to Ritzville.

Adams County, Asotin County, one of those "A" counties.... :chuckle:
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2016, 10:50:20 AM »
Hey maybe those couple speedgoats that were down on the Alpowa a couple years ago were remnants of the asotin county relocation project.
:chuckle:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2016, 10:53:17 AM »
Hey maybe those couple speedgoats that were down on the Alpowa a couple years ago were remnants of the asotin county relocation project.
:chuckle:

:yeah: You might be on to something!! :chuckle:
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline NWWA Hunter

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, DU, MDF, SCI
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2016, 05:27:03 AM »
Seriously, who in their right mind would turn the antelope loose in the middle of the worst winter we've had for years in the middle of nowhere in 2ft of snow in country where there are several fences?? :dunno:  More power to their efforts if they want to reintroduce the lopes there, but at least give a little better thought and have a little better place .....at least for the animals sake. :twocents:

Because when antelope are transplanted they get so worked up that their body temperature rises and there is a high mortality. Unless, there are low temperatures the entire distance of the trip to keep their core temperature lower.  Additionally there is high mortality if it takes too long to transport them. So in order to safely transport them it has to be cold from Nevada all the way through to Washington.  This is why there has only been one transplant to the Yakimas.  It is very difficult to trans locate them due to their fragility and you need perfect conditions.
Take your kids into the outdoors. They are our future. Support conservation by joining and participating in future through NRA, SCI, RMEF, Wild Sheep or any of the other great organizations.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2016, 05:46:14 AM »

Because when antelope are transplanted they get so worked up that their body temperature rises and there is a high mortality. Unless, there are low temperatures the entire distance of the trip to keep their core temperature lower.  Additionally there is high mortality if it takes too long to transport them. So in order to safely transport them it has to be cold from Nevada all the way through to Washington.  This is why there has only been one transplant to the Yakimas.  It is very difficult to trans locate them due to their fragility and you need perfect conditions.

The long trip may have had an impact, no way around that to get them there. I doubt there was much snow where they were released, there are already bear coming out on the reservation.

Glad they are doing this!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Sumpnneedskillin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2016, 08:02:35 AM »
Hmm... what's faster- an antelope or a wolf? :chuckle:

Wolf speedgoat interaction in Yellowstone caught on video

Last year I watched a lone wolf chase antelope in the Lamar Valley.  It was almost as if the antelope were teasing the wolf.  They'd run for a bit and then let up so the wolf could catch up and then take off and they'd let the wolf catch up.  This went on for several minutes.  Finally the wolf gave up. 
What's the most dangerous thing said in the US Navy? -- A Chief Petty Officer saying "Watch this s$%^!!"

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"
President John F. Kennedy

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2016, 08:54:11 AM »
Good report NWWA, details, details

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2016, 10:36:01 AM »

The long trip may have had an impact, no way around that to get them there. I doubt there was much snow where they were released, there are already bear coming out on the reservation.

Glad they are doing this!

They were released on January 27.  Where they were released, there was 2+ feet of snow during an extended period of below freezing weather.  This was near the furthest western boundary of the rez.  I can assure you there were no bears coming out of hibernation on January 27 there. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal