collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: More gates  (Read 21362 times)

Offline Seabass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: More gates
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2015, 12:58:48 PM »
Your right about age being a factor in hiking long distances and I'm not at that age yet but I understand how you see it. I just don't agree with people on ATV's making there own trails just because they can fit between 2 trees. That's crap. There is nothing that can justify that. I still feel that there are more roads to drive and hunt than anyone can cover in an entire hunting season and if that's not enough then what is? A road every 100yds across the forest so you can scan and see everything without having to leave your pickup? Doesn't sound like good habitat to me? :dunno:

FYI : Motorcylces and 4 wheel drive vehicles do ALLOT more damage in the woods than any ATV will. Also, it's perfectly legal to drive anyplace on state land, that is our land and not certain peoples land.

I never said anything about motorcycles, and I don't leave the road in my pickup unless I've been given permission by the landowner.
FYI: It absolutely is not legal to drive anywhere you want on state land. I know plenty about it, my home is surrounded by several section's and it is off limit's to motor vehicles unless you hold a farming or grazing lease on it or have the lessee's permission to access it.
That is absolutely correct! I have 2 hunting partner's. 1 is a timber warden for the DNR and the other is a lease manager for the DNR. We have had this discussion many times. You CANNOTT operate motorized vehicles off any main road on State land. It's done ALL the time but it's completely illegal. Regardless of where you live city or otherwise.

Offline wa_archer

• Tracker
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, DU, Wen. Sportsmans Assoc.
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2015, 06:50:45 PM »
I don't have much room to talk I'm young and in good shape.  But I watched my grandfather get older and less able and now my dad.  They had a more positive outlook on gated roads.  They loved that they enjoyed it while they were able.  As got older changed to what we call the grandad walk, close to the gate and close to truck.  There were several times when my dad and I would get back from far ridges and grandad would be sitting next to truck and ask if we could go drag his deer back for him.  I understand and agree with letting disable in to areas behind gates. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsman. FDR

Some go to church and dream of hunting others go to the woods and think of God

Offline Seabass

• Scout
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2016, 12:06:12 PM »
I hope to have that outlook when I'm older. That attitude is what makes that generation so cool in my opinion. We have become whiney and entitled.

Offline splitshot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2016, 02:16:31 PM »
   what gets me is when I meet a 40 year old fat guy driving beyond a gate and I just walked 3,4,or 5 miles and I am 75.  I don't hesitate to ask for a ride out.   would rather have everyone walk .  and no horses.  they have ruined several stalks for me.  mike w

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2016, 07:14:24 AM »
   what gets me is when I meet a 40 year old fat guy driving beyond a gate and I just walked 3,4,or 5 miles and I am 75.  I don't hesitate to ask for a ride out.   would rather have everyone walk .  and no horses.  they have ruined several stalks for me.  mike w

Sorry to hear that
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2016, 07:41:00 AM »

No one has anything else to say after an old man tells them to get out and hike! :chuckle: :dunno:

Offline krout81

• Longhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2016, 12:20:12 PM »
Gates are awesome, until on the last day of early Archery DNR decides to take 3 vehicles past the gate on a Effing tour at 10am.  Stupid DNR really STUPID. 
Flinging Arrows with Thunderhead 125's since 1992 
Why Change now?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2016, 12:28:34 PM »
Gates are awesome, until on the last day of early Archery DNR decides to take 3 vehicles past the gate on a Effing tour at 10am.  Stupid DNR really STUPID.

Why is that stupid? It's not the DNR's responsibility to provide hunters with uninterrupted hunting opportunities. I can understand why you might be disappointed with an unexpected interruption to the peace and quiet during your hunt, but don't blame the DNR. Do you also expect Weyerhaeuser to quit logging during hunting season?

Offline krout81

• Longhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2016, 01:17:35 PM »
Nope but they wanted me to pay for a pass to go on the land, the least they could do is do the tour on Friday after the season closed..  In fact the supervisor actually at one point told us they had no tours and would not do tours during the season.  of course later he found out that they did and apologized during some of the phone calls with my Father.  :dunno:

Flinging Arrows with Thunderhead 125's since 1992 
Why Change now?

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2016, 01:25:50 PM »
Okanagon and chelan district have put out a bid for 32 gates. Some of you guys might be losing some access to your favorite roads. The majority of them are headed to okanagon.

Any reasons given and roads specified??

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand