collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rabbit suggestions in Pierce/Thurston  (Read 4691 times)

Offline jdt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Rabbit suggestions in Pierce/Thurston
« on: January 03, 2016, 09:04:17 AM »
I'm new to hunting I'm WA, but enjoy going out for winter rabbits back home. As you can probably guess I'm military, but I prefer not to hunt on base due to the hoops u have to jump through. Anyone have suggestions on decent locations?

I'm willing to drive and buy lunch if anyone cares to go out one weekend.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Rabbit suggestions in Pierce/Thurston
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 09:36:16 AM »
I hope someone has a spot to share with you but I just don't see many rabbits anywhere. I do see them once in a while but I couldn't even tell you where.

The only large block of public land around here is Capitol Forest so I would say try that.

If you really want to get some shooting in, I would suggest trying some crow hunting. It's open until the end of the month.

Offline jdt

• Pilgrim
Re: Rabbit suggestions in Pierce/Thurston
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 09:56:24 AM »
Hmmm... sounds like it could be fun. My issue would be no shotgun - I don't want to risk bad shots with a 22.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 10:13:12 AM »
Captitol Forest may not be a bad the next couple days if we get some snow. In Thurston county I think it will be kinda hit and miss success wise but, pretty much anywhere has them. Its more a matter of turning them up, if there are deer or deer cover there is likely rabbits. Like most hunting snow is a great equalizer, otherwise there is usually alot of luck involved. Old field edges next to thicker timber and blackberries always hold sign. Abandoned homesteads and orchards have been my best producers for cottontails. I havent had much success finding a real population of 'shoes in Thurston county.

Personally I would look higher, for "real" hunting. I have had luck in Toutle and Margaret high country chasing 'shoes. If you can find some ground up higher above 2000 - 2500 feet you should have much more luck finding 'shoes. And with the weather we have had it should be good hunting up there as well. Not sure of specific areas in Pierce county, but anywhere up higher with a good combo of mountain alder mixed with noble or hemlock have usually produced. If you dont have snowshoes I would consider them, and also a weapon for predators as odds of seeing a dog or bobcat are decent as well. 

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 10:36:37 AM »
welcome to the site and thanks for your service.  West Rocky Prairie Wildlife area outside of Tenino has good rabbit cover.  If you access it off 143rd you will need a discover pass.  You can also access it off Tilley Road about a mile north of 143rd and park by the gravel pit entrance.

Skookumchuck pheasant release site also holds rabbits (its at the end of Johnson Creek road between Rainier and Tenino)

Scatter Creek pheasant release site outside of Grand Mound holds rabbits

Check game laws for hunting those areas...i think you will also need a discover pass to park at the pheasant release sites

good luck

brew
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline jdt

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 11:33:31 AM »
Thanks guys, much appreciated. I know the skookumchuck area fairly well, maybe I'll try that first.

As far as the bobcats and coyotes I only have 2 rifles in WA right now - a 22lr and a 308. I have a 17hmr that would do the job (little light for coyotes, but it works) unfortunately left it back home for jackrabbits whenever I'm in town.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 11:39:15 AM »
I know a friend of mine did real well out towards Mowich Lake, as someone else said look for fields with the blackberry brambles.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline GBoyd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 07:27:08 PM »
My best luck for finding rabbits in Pierce County has been on private farmland. There's a lot of pasture owned by smaller farms and there's almost always blackberry hedges around. I do good walking the blackberries for the last hour of the day.

Knock on some doors and I bet somebody would let you hunt. Not many people bother to hunt rabbits, so it's just a matter of convincing them you're safe.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 07:48:32 PM »
If you can secure permission on Christmas tree farms I have done well on them as well, similar to gboyd walking the edges in the dusk and dawn. 

Offline Threewolves

• Longhunter
  • USA (R)
  • Groups: VFW, NRA
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 01:43:08 PM »
The most productive way to hunt rabbits in W. WA is to get with someone that has beagles. Most guys just want to run their dogs. And yes there are rabbits on FT. Lewis. Hounds find them and keep them moving. Johnson creek is also good with hounds. Without hounds I usually only see them at dawn and dusk. There is a difference of light an day hunting with and without hounds. Its like hunting pheasants without dogs, you can do it, but it is kind of a waste of time.
There are only so many sunrises left.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal