collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Google Earth  (Read 17717 times)

Offline 68w

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
    • https://www.facebook.com/pacificnwguy/
    • Pacificnwguy
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, MDF
Google Earth
« on: January 11, 2016, 07:00:35 PM »
Any of you use Google earth to do some pre season scouting? 

I'm new to hunting mule deer, last year was the first time and now I'm hooked.  Was up in the NE corner Saw lots of mulies,  lots of fork horns and does, hiked a lot of country. Even found a moose shed (3rd pic) Didn't harvest a mule deer, but I am going to make it happen this year.

Last year  Area was really think, so I'm trying to locate some spots to scout come Spring that will allow me to get deep 5 miles or so, and be able to glass.

Hopefully I'll  draw multi season, so I'm Looking to do the early high buck hunt. My question is what do you look for on Google earth?  What makes an area look "bucky" to you from a satellite view?  Any tips?  Everything I've seen online is more oriented towards whitetail stand hunting,  I'm looking to be able to spot and stalk.

Anyone wants to PM me a sample screenshot of an example to what I should be looking for would be great.  Doesn't have to be from this state.  I've got a few spots marked up on google that I'm looking to scout.  I'll post a few screenshots up later to see if I am on the right track.

Few pics from last year.

5th pic down.... How many deer? :)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:24:52 PM by 68w »

Offline Little Dave

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
Re: Google Earth
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 11:13:38 PM »
Something like this:

Offline TommyH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 05:21:28 AM »
Google earth is great, but doesn't show you water. My topo, g4 maps and others show other useful info as well. I have one loaded on with google so I can zoom into an area and toggle between them.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 05:30:33 AM »
Google earth is nice but boots on the ground is the way to go. Just beware that come hunting season(high hunt or general) it's a different story and there will be others out there with you same way of thinking.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 06:11:34 AM »
Personally I like paper.   I get way more out of reading a map.  All of it adds together.  Generally speaking,  if you are sticking to the ne corner, 5 miles in isn't as necessary as is a lot. Of eastern. Washington.   

Offline Eli346

• Eli
  • Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 06:13:34 AM »
 I use Google Earth a lot. Everything I need to know is on it except for sign and animals, although I did spot a herd of elk once on it. I can find water, elevations, vegetation, road density (which is one of the most important ones for me), and distances. I'll print satellite views of a spot we want to work and laminate them so we can use them often. It's a very beneficial tool to scout with but also plan your hunts.

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 06:20:14 AM »
Personally I like paper.   I get way more out of reading a map.  All of it adds together.  Generally speaking,  if you are sticking to the ne corner, 5 miles in isn't as necessary as is a lot. Of eastern. Washington.

:tup:  Combining Google Earth (Bing was better before they screwed improved it >:() and topo maps is the way to go IMO.  They each have their strong points.  Maps show contours better and water features better.  Google allows better idea of vegetation variables.  Together you will find feeding and bedding spots a lot easier.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline 68w

• Tracker
    • Pacificnwguy
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 10:30:11 AM »
Little Dave thanks for the example, I guess it will just take some time and experience for me to see it.  I look at that screen shot and have no clue what I am really looking at relating to deer.  Looks like some thick lower brush with some taller trees? 

Google earth is nice but boots on the ground is the way to go. Just beware that come hunting season(high hunt or general) it's a different story and there will be others out there with you same way of thinking.

Thanks,  I'm not trying to use google instead of boots on the ground, just trying to scope out areas that will be most efficient for my time boots on the ground scouting.  I'm looking to take 5-6 boots on the ground scouting trips June-August, just trying to figure out how to look for new areas during the off season.  I have been listening to a couple hunting podcasts and they keep talking about pre scouting with Google earth and I'm just having trouble figuring out what to actually look for I guess.

Here is an area that I marked that I am hoping to go take a look at spring summer.  Seems that most of the mulies I found were bedding  up high near the top of ridges on small benches with a rock or some other large object at their back.  So looking at this area here I figured I could set up atop one of the ridges and be able to glass across and down with some creek bed drainage to the upper right.

Let me know if you think I am along the right lines or way off and what I can be improving on.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 03:04:06 PM »
This is the best map I've seen for computer work. You can swap back and forth from satellite view to topo to whatever you could want.
Thanks to "Joseph" on the forum for creating and sharing this tool.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=48.195387,-120.665589&z=11&t=h,MODIS_thermal,Wind_in_6_hrs,Current_fire&q=http://www.propertylinemaps.com/p/public_land_map/USA/USA_wildland_fire.txt
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 03:10:56 PM »
I love using Google earth to scout. It gives you a good idea of where you should concentrate your time scouting. Helps you to not waste time.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 03:15:24 PM »
Works great ..I used it a lot this year ...You can really pin point drainages in the areas you are hunting ..

Offline High Climber

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 04:57:55 PM »
Your definitely along the right lines. Once i find a general area I like to look at topo view just as you are and once I find terrain features I like, then click over to Arial view to get a feel for the vegetation... Most of the time it looks way different when I show up there with my binos but hey that's why we scout.
This is the best map I've seen for computer work. You can swap back and forth from satellite view to topo to whatever you could want.
Thanks to "Joseph" on the forum for creating and sharing this tool.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=48.195387,-120.665589&z=11&t=h,MODIS_thermal,Wind_in_6_hrs,Current_fire&q=http://www.propertylinemaps.com/p/public_land_map/USA/USA_wildland_fire.txt

That is a cool map program thanks for posting a link :tup:

Offline Little Dave

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 05:56:49 PM »
Well, I was mostly joking with that snapshot, some elk in it.  Even so, you can zoom in to see things like game trails and then a number of other components of good habitat.

Offline Smoke

• Hunter
  • Groups: Skouckum Archery
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 08:52:00 AM »
I use it for prescouting, then get out there and actually put leather on the ground... it's great for finding areas off the beaten path, and ways in and out... but don't rely on the pics too much... have many times seen a clear cut on google that the image stated less then a year old, and gone out to find 30' trees... I know some grow fast, but damn....

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 09:24:04 AM »
This is a good one. You can have your topo with trail maps rite next to the satellite image.
http://www.hillmap.com/

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 11:34:02 AM »
I see 4 deer...possibly 5
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 02:11:15 PM »

I see 4 deer...possibly 5
I only see 3 and I think the doe peeking from behind the tree is a whitetail?

Also to the OP I don't think there are any high hunt areas in the NE corner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 68w

• Tracker
    • Pacificnwguy
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 09:24:15 PM »
I thought there were only 3.  Maybe there are more?  I can't find them if there are.

Andrew im Looking to do a high buck in one of the wilderness areas, glacier peak or paysaten most likely.  NE corner is just where I hunted last year,  didn't mean to make it sound like I was trying to do a high hunt in the NE corner.

Can't wait for winter to be over

Offline Joseph

• Tracker
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 04:50:02 AM »
And for those doing some armchair scouting and looking for their own sekrit spot on public land, keep in mind that Gmap4 can show you public land boundaries.  Just scroll down a bit on this page for the map links.

http://www.propertylinemaps.com/p/public_land_map/state/WA/_washington_layers_off.html

Each map can show a bunch of different GIS overlays.

To get the most out of these maps, please click "About this map" in the upper left corner.

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 07:39:33 PM »
I have definitely headed out to a Google map clearing to find out it's been overgrown. How do you tell when the satellite  photos are taken?

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 07:40:42 PM »
I have definitely headed out to a Google map clearing to find out it's been overgrown. How do you tell when the satellite  photos are taken?
Usually the date is shown at the bottom of the window in Google earth

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2016, 09:41:56 AM »

Click the icon of the clock with the green arrow wrapping around it.  That will bring up a time line in the top left corner with a slide bar; you can choose various dates when pictures were taken of the area you are viewing.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2016, 10:48:07 PM »
I use google earth all the time along with my topo maps. I've been starting to hunt out of state and Google earth helps a ton! Especially with looking for potential camping spots and the what's over that next ridge question. I find lots of good hidey holes and more importantly water. I'm scouting all over Arizona and water is one of the things I search for (mostly water tanks).

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2016, 10:54:49 PM »

I'm new to hunting mule deer, last year was the first time and now I'm hooked.  Was up in the NE corner Saw lots of mulies,  lots of fork horns and does, hiked a lot of country. Even found a moose shed (3rd pic) Didn't harvest a mule deer, but I am going to make it happen this year.

Last year  Area was really think, so I'm trying to locate some spots to scout come Spring that will allow me to get deep 5 miles or so, and be able to glass.

Hopefully I'll  draw multi season, so I'm Looking to do the early high buck hunt. My question is what do you look for on Google earth?  What makes an area look "bucky" to you from a satellite view?  Any tips?  Everything I've seen online is more oriented towards whitetail stand hunting,  I'm looking to be able to spot and stalk.

Anyone wants to PM me a sample screenshot of an example to what I should be looking for would be great.  Doesn't have to be from this state.  I've got a few spots marked up on google that I'm looking to scout.  I'll post a few screenshots up later to see if I am on the right track.

Few pics from last year.

I use it alot, onXmaps sells a topo for it just like the one that goes into your GPS i think its like 30$ If I remember, I bought it like 4 years ago so I dont remember off the top of my head. Its great, can search around from home and see who owns what properties and what GMU's your in. Its a one time fee so Its a killer price IMO.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2016, 10:59:53 PM »
Tag
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2016, 05:30:28 AM »

Few pics from last year.

I use it alot, onXmaps sells a topo for it just like the one that goes into your GPS i think its like 30$ If I remember, I bought it like 4 years ago so I dont remember off the top of my head. Its great, can search around from home and see who owns what properties and what GMU's your in. Its a one time fee so Its a killer price IMO.
I don't think they do the google earth layer anymore. I was looking into it last year and they said they no longer support google earth

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2016, 10:19:38 AM »

Few pics from last year.

I don't think they do the google earth layer anymore. I was looking into it last year and they said they no longer support google earth

Mine sure still works.

Offline EyeTooth

• Hunter
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2016, 11:07:19 AM »
Tag

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2016, 01:44:17 PM »

Few pics from last year.

Mine sure still works.
I'm sure if you bought it from them it will still work I just don't think they offer the product anymore

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2016, 10:35:51 PM »

Few pics from last year.

Mine sure still works.
I'm sure if you bought it from them it will still work I just don't think they offer the product anymore

That's a shame if they don't, I use it more than I use my layering system on my GPS map. I mostly only use it when Im trying to find a specific GMU line or someones property line, Kept me from illegaly trespassing and recovering my deer last year. Had to jump through hoops and knock on every door in the neighborhood to find someone that knew the land owner, He was not happy the deer wound up on his property. Although he did let me recover it. Best part was I knew the name of the land owner so I could get right to the point.

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2016, 03:00:36 AM »

Few pics from last year.

Mine sure still works.

That's a shame if they don't, I use it more than I use my layering system on my GPS map. I mostly only use it when Im trying to find a specific GMU line or someones property line, Kept me from illegaly trespassing and recovering my deer last year. Had to jump through hoops and knock on every door in the neighborhood to find someone that knew the land owner, He was not happy the deer wound up on his property. Although he did let me recover it. Best part was I knew the name of the land owner so I could get right to the point.
I have the onx app on my phone, knowing the landowner names is awesome but really wish it had some contact info as well

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2016, 04:19:08 PM »

Few pics from last year.

Mine sure still works.

I have the onx app on my phone, knowing the landowner names is awesome but really wish it had some contact info as well

As nice as that may be for some circumstances, I think that would cross the line of privacy. Would have ever joe shmoe calling you looking to hunt your piece of land. Its probably better with just a name.

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2016, 04:20:50 PM »

Few pics from last year.

Mine sure still works.

As nice as that may be for some circumstances, I think that would cross the line of privacy. Would have ever joe shmoe calling you looking to hunt your piece of land. Its probably better with just a name.
I believe they did have a version with landowner contact info. I agree seems to cross a line but if the technology exists may as well use it

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 11:53:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan